Sidebar... how to access it

Hi, I was watching an instructional video and the guy started doing all sorts of stuff in the sidebar. I don’t have any idea how to access it. I did try searching to no avail. Also while I am at it, I don’t know how to access the stuff on the right side in finder. Help always is so appreciated!

Do you have the sidebar hidden? On my screenshot, it offers the option to “hide” it but if you have it hidden it will offer to show it. You find this option under the View menu.

1 Like

@curtismchale has it right, the only thing to add is that you must have a Finder window open to see those menu items (I hope that’s not too obvious).

1 Like

I thought I had it but I don’t.

@Katie a screenshot of the video would be helpful here :slight_smile:

1 Like

By “on the right side” do you mean info like file size, modification date, and so on?

Ok. The right side I figured it out. Actually I was just playing with it. The sidebar on the left…??

Video on YouTube

1 Like

Once again, a screenshot of the video would help us figure out what you’re looking for :slight_smile:

I don’t know. I haven’t had a computer in about 8 years.

I use to be a pretty good rank amateur. Ha!

1 Like

I am SO sorry! Until tonight I didnt even know it existed.

2 Likes

No, I mixed up my right and my left sides. I can access the notifications etc on the right.

The left sidebar, well as I said, I didn’t know it even existed and it looks like it may be pretty handy or cool.

well, thanks anyway!

I’d disagree with this Heavily. I find it very intuitive. Significantly more so than Windows.

1 Like

I’d agree that more recently there’s been a trend to hide things, but I wouldn’t generalise and say that the Operating system is unintuitive.

1 Like

Intuitive really depends on the person and the thing they’re trying to do, to be honest. I could say macOS is intuitive to me because I can run terminal commands for everything but that doesn’t mean anything to an average user.

The world in which macOS lives and works is an order of magnitude more complicated than when iCloud first appeared on the scene about ten years ago. So the OS necessarily has become less intuitive. The abundance of apps that are excellent, feature-rich, and easy to buy makes it unsurprising that many of them would be recommended (especially by the people on this forum who seem to change their apps as often as their underwear). :slightly_smiling_face:

To talk about whether something is intuitive, you’re talking about whether the majority can use it, not individual people.

Anecdotally, i got lots of feedback that macOS is easier to use than Windows.

1 Like

IMHO, saying macOS is more intuitive than Windows sets a rather low bar. Just sayin’…

2 Likes

And I get lots that Windows is easier to use than macOS. :slight_smile:

Coincidentally I had a conversation with a friend on this exact subject yesterday; he’s used Apple products for most of his life but prefers Windows because it’s easier to manage for him and has less usability issues.

Again, I think OS vs OS there’s not really a clear-cut answer for everyone or even a majority.

1 Like