Significant changes to apps and final 2021 workflow

It’s probably Craft that’s turning “Notes” into a header because there isn’t a blank line between “Notes” and the hyphen below it.

@ebarstad Thanks. That wasn’t the problem but your suggestion gave me another idea. I had to remove the - in TE to avoid the problem. :slight_smile:

@Bmosbacker Thank you so much for your explaination of the value of DevonThink as your first and foremost respository AND then your update, which is very, very helpful. Thank you for both of your detail responses … I will clip them over to DT and Craft! :sunglasses:

Your workflow mind map is excellent, most helpful, and is even better now! Thanks!

Also, @Bmosbacker , would you post your updated workflow mindmap, showing how you’ve repositioned Craft? Thanks!

@bpsooner Thanks for the kind comments. I’m always honored if anything I share on this forum is of value to anyone particularly since so many here are far more expert on tech matters than I.

There is not much to show but I have added Craft to the map for note creation. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional information.

3 Likes

Excellent! Thanks showing us the new flow!

I just pasted it into my Craft note on your Workflow!

Grace & Peace …
Dorsey

Craft’s feature allowing you to put together an attractive web page in five minutes is a killer feature. Here’s one I did for a abnormal psychology case study in a class I teach. 50 Year Old Teacher Kidnaps and Sexually Abuses his 15 year old student

I’m honored! :slight_smile:

Along with others, the time and detail you’ve put int this is very generous. Thank you.
The flowchart itself for me is educational in that it I tried to put my workflow into a mind map, or any organisational process, I think I’d struggle.

So that’s my weekend project … develop a workflow I can explain (if only to myself!)

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. This is a wonderful forum full of helpful and gracious people. It is my only “social media” activity.

I’m glad to know that I gave you something “enjoyable” to do over your weekend. Ha! :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

5 Likes

Interesting point about Studio One. How has your transition been? I’ve dabbled in Studio One in the past. One reason was because on the face of it some of the workflows seem quite inviting compared to Logic. Same goes for Ableton, but having had invested so much time in Logic prior, the only way I was able to make Ableton work for me was to consciously set aside a few weeks where I exclusively forced myself to do everything I’d do in Logic in Ableton instead. So I’m curious if your experience with Studio One has been similar.

I’m a total amateur/dabbler with these apps, so I can’t speak with any authority.
But for me the transition was simple as the drag and drop nature of S1 makes getting going quite simple.
I miss the drummers in Logic, but I use Melodyne a lot and that’s more important. Plus, I’m being pushed to learn to program drumming which is fun.

Oh, and most of what I do is producing songs that my wife writes using Notion on her iPad, and that integration is a huge time saver.

I’d say that unless there is a feature that is truly going to be a game-changer for you (like Notion integration and, to a lesser extent, Melodyne for me), stick with what you know.

How happy are you with insync to work with Google documents in DEVONthink ?
I am looking for a good solution

Extremely happy! It solved the one point of friction in my workflow, putting stuff in DT natively and having it sync to Google folders that are INDEXED in DT. It works flawlessly.

This whole thread is a great read, and thanks for sharing so much of your workflow with us.

I keep going back and forth between using DT and just storing everything in a a folder structure accessed through Finder. Certainly there are some things that just work better in Finder while others (such as a more organized project) work better in DT, and DT is in many ways a better Finder than Finder.

The thing is that I don’t really want to have two separate systems, where now I will add the cognitive effort of a) figuring our whether a given file or project or set of information more properly belongs as a folder in Finder or a group in DT, and b) remembering where I wound up putting something later on.

Ideally I could solve that problem via just organizing my DT database around indexed folders instead of importing (there would still be a subset of documents that would lend themselves only to being imported, such as a a huge number of references in PDF format that work well as a DT database).

Because essentially all of my files are stored in two Folders and their descendants and are synced between my Mini and Air via SynologyDrive, the problem of syncing files across systems is handling reasonably well.

I do not want to give up the use of the Finder, I should note, in part because I have a very extensive system of file renaming and filing based on Hazel rules and Finder tags, including some custom utilities that allow me to direct files to various places in the folder system dynamically via the tags, that I think would be difficult or impossible to recreate in DT.

My three areas of difficulty:

1. When I create a file in Finder or from a specific app into an indexed folder, it should appear in that indexed folder in DT, which presumably means reindexing the folder. I presume I could create a DT rule triggered by selecting an indexed folder that would trigger it to reindex to handle this automatically. Whether I can create a rule that propagates down a folder tree (so that the rule does not have to be attached to every folder in a tree individually I don’t know (yet).

2. If I create a new document in an indexed folder in DT, I would want that to appear as a file in the folder, not as a DT internal document. I have not been able to find a way to make this occur, however, which means that the folders as represented in DT are not in sync with the folders in Finder.

3. I have not (yet) testing if DTTG will show and download files that are in indexed folder. This would be crucial as I do need access, albeit not frequently, to my files on the go. While the SynologyDrive app on iOS/iPadOS is not the best app in the world, it works well enough to meet my needs.

If anyone knows the answer to / has solutions to these issues, I would appreciate hearing about them.

2 Likes

Just a quick response: DEVONthink 3’s indexing works as you’d hope for all three of those points. DTPO used to be a little more unreliable. I recommend trying the setup you describe with DEVONthink 3 and DTTG if you already own each app.

I am very much interest in 2. Not sure if it works that way but I have not tested it. Can someone confirm if this works, as in, if I create a file in a index folder in DT, that file is also created in the file system.

Yes, see my comment immediately above!

1 Like

I have come to the same conclusion. I don’t write for the web and the mental overhead I had to use to force the kind of writing I do (academic and research writing) into a Markdown context was counterproductive and inefficient. Now I really need to try out Scrivener.

1 Like