SimpleScan- new release from Agile Tortoise

This looks interesting to me. I’m going to kick the tires and give it a whirl.

7 Likes

Big fan of Drafts (from Agile Tortoise), so instantly jumped on this.

After a bit of testing - I bought the pro lifetime version.

I scan a lot with iPhone and that improves my workflow.

1 Like

What’s the cost for the one time purchase?

Ha, I’l answer my own question. 19.99 for the pro lifetime - very tempting.

2 Likes

+1 it’s Greg, he will just keep on making small improvements, forever.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed Genius Scan, but I was just on the hunt for a native alternative less than a week ago. I’ll give this a shot. I’m a fan of the developers other apps, so I’m going in confident.

1 Like

Anyone compared this with Scanner Pro ? Don’t want to jump ship for a shiny new app for no reason LOL

2 Likes

This works surprisingly well. To test it using an iPad Pro in a kind of dark room I scanned grocery store receipts sitting on a 2 tone surface (desk and mouse pad, the receipt covering both) and it worked perfectly. It picked out the receipt quickly and did a near perfect scan. As a long time Drafts user, this is an instabuy.

1 Like

I wrote him to ask if other apps could be supported as custom destinations. I hope you’ll do the same. :pray:

2 Likes

What do you mean? Like to save it to DevonThink 2 Go?

1 Like

Exactly–there’s a one-tap send to DTTG button in Scanner Pro that hasn’t worked for a few years (have tried getting both companies to look at it plus to talk to each other without luck.)

There are a few other apps I regularly share scans to that I couldn’t get to via email drop.

3 Likes

Insta-buy for me because it’s Greg.

2 Likes

As advertised, this seems to use the scanning API to provide the same experience as the Notes app. This is convenient, and I’ll probably buy the app.

My main issue with all scanning apps since the 14 Pro series is the sub-par performance of the primary camera on the Pro models (15 Pro included) since moving to the 48 MP sensor. It requires more distance to focus correctly and often has trouble focusing on minor details, e.g. when scanning business cards or even correctly focusing on the QR codes. I tried scanning an ID card a while back with one of the banking apps for the KYC check, and it could not produce a clear image with all the data visible at all – I had to upload a scan of the ID, which I fortunately had ready. Focusing issues with the 14 Pro camera had been widely reported on forums when it launched and nothing seems to have changed with the 15 Pro (Max) either (I have both).

Now, when taking pictures this is not much of an issue as you can move the phone away a bit or use the 2x focus, but scanning apps mostly do not let us choose which camera is used for capture, and the 1x camera performs very poorly in that regard.

I’d like to see a scanning app that gives me control over which camera it uses – Scanner Pro can only switch between 1x and 5x, and SimpleScan, much like Apple’s Notes, defaults to the 1x, which is the problematic one.

It’s two taps with this new app, I think – set Destination to ‘File’, which remembers the last destination which in my case is DT’s Global Inbox. then hit ‘save’. But I agree, a single button would be nice.

My first responses are that I will keep relying on DT’s ABBY OCR engine or even resort to ABBY Finereader for more complex jobs. They outperform whatever ships as default here with the app. I’m still comparing the de-skewing accuracy, and I especially like Scanner Pro’s ability to scan to B/W, which would be a good addition too.

But I like this a lot – especially the lack of a library, which always caused me worries (did I send this already? do I still need to file this?). Scan and send is genius.

4 Likes

I was kind of annoyed by the lack of being able to change the default naming convention (why is it using YYYY-DD-MM?) and was about to send feedback on it. Then I remembered Hazel. I just have it rename anything that comes in and then move it to its default location I use for my finances. So when I went shopping today, all my receipts were taken care of by Hazel by the time I got home.

The app I used to use for this was great, until the app was sold and had a ridiculous subscription fee added to it. I never found a quick and easy scanner app I liked after that so stopped doing it. So I am thrilled with this app. It’s like Drafts, nice and fast. No messing around.

1 Like

Works nicely. Thanks! I didn’t know or had forgotten DTTG scoops up files saved there.

Same. With a Mac running DT smart rules to OCR any 0 length PDFs and images, it’s not a big deal to skip OCR here. I wasn’t doing it in Scanner Pro, either.

Haha, didn’t notice that. Hope he at least gives us an option to change that.

1 Like

Two thoughts:

• Greg will slowly make the app better, as we ask him
  • over MacStories one of writers cobbled together a shortcut to achieve this and more
1 Like

Looking forward to trying this out. Greg does such a great job of integrating regular device features in useful ways.

This reminds me, one of my main gripes with Drafts is that the ‘Commands’ on app icon hold can’t be customized. Drafts has a nice OCR scanning feature, but since it’s only accessible inside the app or with a widget, I almost never bother to use it. Perhaps this new app will solve that issue.

I just had to scan some tax documents and tried this app out. Worked great so I paid the $20 for lifetime unlock.

1 Like

He told me he’s fixing the YYYY-DD-MM bug this week.

5 Likes