SimpleScan- new release from Agile Tortoise

What’s the bug?

(It’s a common format that is useful for sorting files)

Common? Never seen that before :slight_smile :slight_smile:

Surely it’s meant to be YYYY-MM-DD

5 Likes

Oops: I am so used to the actual format that I did not even see that the (DD and MM) components were swapped…

3 Likes

That’s probably why the bug happened! :slight_smile: I did some test scans with it and didn’t even notice they were 02-03 instead of 03-02 until @RunningBoris mentioned it.

1 Like

So what’s the difference with Simple scan and iOS Files or notes scanner? I’m trying to figure out if I should buy this:

There was another scanner app I purchased but I don’t remember the name. It was great, but then started to get bad. So I don’t use that anymore.

The scanner itself is the same, just ease of use stuff. Quicker and easier to open the Simple Scan app and hit the giant button to start the scan. After that the sharing options are quick and easy to get to. Not an app you need if you don’t scan a lot. I use it when out an about to scan receipts as I get them. I would not recommend it for the occasional document scan for your archives when you are sitting at your desk.

I agree with @RunningBoris review, but I’ve found SimpleScan also does a better job of defining the edges of the document.

But one reason that I decided to purchase the app is I’m a long time Drafts user but have never needed the Pro version. Buying SimpleScan allowed me to thank the developer.

1 Like

Supporting the developer, and after seeing how he supports Drafts, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him vastly improve the app over time. No idea if he has any plans for it, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

1 Like

Because he is a programmer and there is a huge aversion to all the issues odd date formats cause. Dates and names are why all programmer s over about 40 are grey haired or bald. The mere fact that the naming follows my convention makes me want to buy it even if I can’t immediately think of a use case.

2 Likes

ISO leaps to the rescue:

ISO 8601

4 Likes

I rarely use Notes to scan documents, but often use it to scan text. If SimpleScan can do that more efficiently, I’ll check it out.

That won’t work for you. It will OCR text, but this creates a PDF or image (jpg?) of a document and shares or saves it where you want it to. There is not an option to just copy text (that I am aware of).

1 Like

PrizmoGo will do that.

I’ll be sure to check it out. I might be in the minority, but I have found Adobe Scan to produce the best output. Every other app, like Scanner Pro and the Notes app produces PDFs that are no where as clear as Adobe Scan.

I don’t think Adobe’s scan itself is better, it just increases the contrast, to the point of it not looking natural. Which is fine for a document, especially for OCR purposes, but I don’t really need that either. The biggest knock against it is you have to save to Adobe Cloud, no other options. The app got an instant delete for me for no other reason than that.

I can understand the aversion to having to store files on a company’s cloud… But all my scans using Adobe Scan seem to come out clearer. Maybe I am dong something wrong with the other apps I have tried? Ex:

Adobe Scan file
Simple Scan file

Adobe’s is more readable, I agree. It’s post processing is doing a better job of making up for a bend in the paper or whatever is affecting the top of the page. I wouldn’t want to use either for something important. Scansnap for the win. :slight_smile:

I have never used Adobe scan , so I can not compare. But, I like the copy than Scanner Pro produces. It is high contrast, eliminates the shadows which makes the copy more readable.

I’ve been using Adobe Scan - quite impressive results. The most useful feature is the built in book scan mode which lets me quickly scan a few pages of a book two pages at a time with it automatically splitting them. Accurate results and saves a bunch of time.

That said, I like the ease of operation of this for everything else like documents and receipts. Once the date bug is fixed I can see me using this a fair bit. For £5 for a year, it’s a great price.

1 Like

I don’t know for sure, but it may be similar to Google services that work well, but you have to give up privacy to use them. Adobe probably isn’t as invasive as Google, though.