Small Office Redo

After living in our “new” house for a year and a half, it was finally time to start finishing my basement office — where I work every day. It’s a small 8x10 space that’s adjacent to our home theatre. It houses my Mac setup as well as all my guitar gear (the guitars are a hobby of mine and not a profession, but we don’t have space for a separate room elsewhere).

We painted the home theatre a wonderful cool grey colour, but when we first moved in, I wasn’t sure if that would be too much for a basement, so I left two walls white just to live in it a while. I also didn’t have any shelves (the condo we rented previously had built-in shelves that belonged to the owner), so I always had a box or two on the floor I couldn’t unpack.

Here are some before photos:

You can see the box on the floor in the photo above.

And here are the white walls.

As you can see, there’s a lot of empty space here, and it’s not super pleasant. It’s just a box. (We had the blinds covered up so we could paint around and under them.)

After a lot of hemming and hawing (including some hemming and hawing in this thread), I finally decided on a shelving unit for the office. I had some more guitar gear coming too, and it was time to start making this an actual livable space.

First, we painted everything grey and installed the shelves. It’s darker than it looks in the photos (the iPhone is over compensating by a lot), but it’s not too dark. It’s a really bright basement. (The electricians were angry about the number of lights I told them to install, but they eventually said the effect is very nice and they all got paid.)

Please ignore the vacuum cleaner and the mess.

There’s still a lot to do. I’ve unpacked everything and set up the new gear. In the next month, I’m going to hang some of my guitars on the empty wall. Also, some of this new guitar gear is rack mountable, and since I’ll be bringing it back and forth to church a fair bit, I’m going to get a weather-resistant rack for it and store it all on the floor for a cleaner look.

In the meantime, the office looks like this:

I’m getting over COVID, so don’t mind the orange juice and the tissues. I had to get some studio monitors as well (related to the guitar processor), so those are indeed new.

I also have yet to recycle the packaging for this new gear (did I mention I have COVID?)

And in a couple weeks, hopefully 3 guitars will get mounted above the amp against the wall in this photo.

I’ll share another update when it’s done, but I’m excited about the progress so far and thought I’d share something here first.

If there’s any interest, I can do a full rig rundown in the next update.

16 Likes

Looking great!

Are you going to raise the Studio Display and/or the Focals with some kind of desk riser? Also is that the Fully Jarvis desk? I’m replacing my IKEA table desk soon and I’m thinking maybe it’s time to explore a standing option. :thinking:

Hey Marius! I should probably raise the Focals, but they came with feet and I blew the budget on this one, so it’ll have to wait. (The feet already help a lot with isolating them.)

The Studio Display is the adjustable height one, so no need to put it on a stand (but I do have one from the iMac Pro days).

The desk is a Fully! Good eye. If you’re looking, consider spending $100 more on the Uplift. I have a friend with the Uplift and his desk is considerably more stable than mine.

Although, I’ll add, if you have any recommendations for a good speaker isolation stand that doesn’t break the bank, I’d be thrilled to hear them.

Ah that’s a good tip! Yeah with current sales the prices are more or less interchangeable between those two so it’s good to know the Uplift is more stable. I liked their choice of table top woods more anyway so this works out well :smiley:

1 Like

Using his Uplift filled me with regret. It’s a nicer desk. More stable, prettier, better top, etc. I’m convinced the lack of stability for my desk is the thinness of the bamboo top. .5" is way too thin; it gives too much. One day, if I ever run out of house projects that require attention (probably never), I plan on replacing the .5" bamboo top with something real solid from Home Depot.

1 Like

Love love LOVE this space! :+1:t3:

Thanks so much! It’s coming along. I’ll be very excited when it’s done.

1 Like

Wow, stunning and inspiring.

Thank you Jim! And welcome to the MPU forum. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fellow guitarist here. What axes are you sporting?

A 2017 Les Paul Tribute (gold top) that plays like a nice Standard (don’t know why), a heavily modded JEM clone, and a PRS SE Custom 24. I’d love to pick up a Silver Sky SE (or a Strat if I can ever find one I like), an Explorer (almost pulled the trigger a couple months ago but bought the Axe FX instead), and a nicer PRS (torn between the CE and an S2 McCarty. CE would probably replace the SE I have now, and the S2 would be a general purpose tone machine with all the pickup positions available).

What are you playing these days??

1 Like

I bought an Epiphone SG when I was 14 - about 1992. Used that forever until 2017 when I got a Tremonti SE custom, and then last year a McCarty S2.

I’m a huge PRS fan and I also dream of owning a Silver Sky one day.

Oh! I want to hear all about your S2 McCarty, but I don’t want to detail the thread. Send me a message? Would love to hear your thoughts on how it sounds (with its pickup selection it seems like it would be aggressive compared to the Core model), if you got a single cut or double cut, the versatility of the single coil switches, etc.

1 Like

I really like this…but get the liquids off the desk! Nothing good will come of it. Use something like this:

4 Likes

Everything else, except the monitor itself, is actually off the desk by at least a couple mm, so you needn’t worry! And I’m clumsy enough that I tripped over my chair and already dumped a whole cup of coffee on my keyboard, so been there, done that. But thanks for your concern!

Edit: Just a quick edit to add that I would also cause more damage bumping into that cupholder than I would just leaving the cup on my desk. The desk is wide enough that there’s plenty of space; it’s pretty low risk. And I have no pets or kids climbing on it.

OK, now you’re going to make me clean up my office which still has boxes and stuff lying around from moving into the house in February! :rofl:

1 Like

I was hoping you’d post some pics of the home theater too!

I’ll consider that next time I post an update about the office — it’s a pretty small theatre but it’s great for us. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As the forum wants to remind me, the last reply to this topic was 9 months ago. Sorry that it took me so long to update! As of today, things are finally done here, and the last couple minor things took longer than I thought it would. As promised, I thought I’d share some photos with you.

Keep in mind my office is small — 8x10 — so this isn’t luxurious, but it works for me.

This is the view coming in to the office. A few things worth noting: This is the secondary guitar rack (you’ll see) for overflow. I’ve got a glass chair mat because our vinyl floor is not that great in the basement, and it kept chipping. You might also notice the desk is a Jarvis sit/stand, and I’ve got one of those Ergodriven mats below it. I also have a little filing cabinet on wheels there. It’s got a cushion on top in case I need another seat for my wife or something.

This is the desk itself: there’s a 16" MacBook Pro with M1 Max there, a Studio Display, one of the big keyboards with Touch ID, a Logitech MX Master 3 on the right, a trackpad on the left (one of the old-school AA battery ones), and a Twelve South BookArc keeping the laptop up.

This is just a closer shot of the whole thing. The speakers are Focal Alpha 80 Evo, which serve as my recording/mixing speakers and my guitar practice speakers. They now sit on Iso-Stands to raise them up a bit and isolate them from the desk.

My recording work is all just a side hustle. The real gig is web design/front-end development, and all the stuff that goes with it. Sometimes I’m taking photos, for example. To deal with all the media, I’ve got a Synology and a Mac Mini in the utility room (not pictured, but it’s nothing fancy). The Synology handles Time Machine and archival backups for every computer in the house. The archive folders on the Synology get backed up to the Mac Mini’s connected external drives, and all that gets backed up to Backblaze, so I’ve managed to create a media workspace in my office with no clicking hard drives.

We installed these bookshelves shortly after I started this thread. I didn’t expect to have so much stuff to put on them so soon. But my Canon gear lives here, as well as the Gamecube (which we don’t have space for in the TV, sadly), my reference material for work, some small repair tools for my guitars, some decor, etc. I love these things.

This is the rig I play and record my guitar through 99.999% of the time. It’s an all-digital effects and amp rig (link). It simulates the sound of thousands of speakers, guitar amps, and pedals, and is (to my ears) very convincing. You program it all from your computer, and because it plugs in via USB, you can record without plugging any microphones and dealing with all that. It’s great, and I can’t recommend it enough. The cabling is a little messy because I’m constantly unplugging this whole rack and taking it with me to church, so there’s not much of a point in fixing all the dangling cords you see back there.

These are the two most fun things on my bookshelf for me. Both were gifts from my wife. The egg is an ostrich egg that she gave me before we were dating. She’s South African, and she went to visit a few months after we met. When she came back, she gave me the egg as a gift. I have kept it ever since. She surprised me with the stormtrooper as a decorative object for my office at the first apartment we lived in after we got married. He’s stained a little yellow from sitting in our window well for years before getting moved here.

These are the primary guitars. This the wall behind my desk. They hang from Hercules hangers, for anybody interested, and I recommend the Hercules models very strongly.

From left to right:

• PRS Custom 24 Piezo: it’s 24 frets, hence the name, but its real trick is that it can use a bunch of little microphones hidden inside the bridge of the guitar to create an extremely convincing acoustic sound. It’s useful for recording and useful for church. I run it through an acoustic simulation device, so in a mix, you can’t really tell the difference. It sounds great as an electric too, but the flexibility is the real trick.
  • An Ultra Luxe Telecaster. It’s a hyper-modern version of the Telecaster with a few extra tools at its disposal. This one has “vintage-wired pickups,” which just means they sound a little warm and not as twangy as some Telecasters (which is my preference).
  • And a Gibson Les Paul (the Slash model). This is far and away the brightest guitar I own. I spent a year looking for a Les Paul I wanted. I’m no fan of Slash, but this is basically the instrument for me. Lots of rock attitude, a bunch of swagger. Super fun. Not as versatile as the others, but this is what I want to play most of the time when I just want to have fun.

This is my “analog” guitar rig. It’s a Mark V:25 head from Mesa Boogie, with one of their cabs. Both models have sadly been discontinued, but if you’re looking for an American-style amp that can do basically everything, this one is pretty good. I can’t bear to part with it at this point, and I like having a backup in case my digital rig randomly dies (not that I expect it, but if you’re not prepared, it could happen).

And that’s it, folks! Let me know if there’s anything you’d like to know more about, or anything you’d like a closer photo of. I’ve been freelancing and working from home 10 years and playing guitar for 20 years, so this stuff didn’t all spring up overnight or anything, so if you’re wondering, “how did he afford all this stuff?”, well, time and the benefit of claiming stuff for taxes.

Sorry it took so long to post this!

8 Likes