Still on iOS 16 - how stable is 17?

I haven’t yet moved to iOS 17, as usual preferring to wait for the inevitable point updates to the initial release.

Am I being overly cautious?

How stable is the current release?

no problems so far. its been a couple of weeks. the interactive widgets are great!

4 Likes

I can’t think of any serious issues.

1 Like

Agreed—I haven’t had any issues with iOS 17 so far. It’s been really stable.

No issues for me. I’m on iOS 17,1.

I am running an iPad Pro on iPad 17.1 and iPhone 13 Pro on iOS 17.1 and have had no problems.

It’s stable but, IMO, it’s features are 90% cosmetic.

90% cosmetic or 90% functional?

Sorry, 90% is a total exaggeration. Note to self: don’t post when aggravated with Apple stuff, after this.

IMO: Apple continues to offer “Apple Music Sing with Continuity Camera, Three additional stickers come to Memoji, Grocery Lists automatically group related items into sections, Motion effect for Live Photo wallpaper”, etc. while important features, to quote a famous podcaster, “Aren’t quite there yet”.

iCloud isn’t reliable. So anything that runs on it like Notes and Reminders isn’t either. And Siri has gone from being innovative to last place in the digital assistant category. Instead of making their products more functional they make apps like Contacts less useful (I don’t need 30% of my screen taken up with my doctors initials).

So I say keep your Contact Posters, Stickers, and set of five clock styles, Apple. And fix your core services.

Thanks for replying Derek. I needed this. :grinning:

2 Likes

It has been stable for me since I installed it. Currently running 17.1.

2 Likes

Stable.

Like another poster I wish Apple put some love into iCloud and tidying up some other messes.

I’ll leave it for now - better the devil you know.

However my work iPhone is giving regular prompts for an update so I think it’s only a matter of time before they make iOS 17 mandatory

They can’t Make you upgrade. But at some point either you’ll want a feature not available on IOS16, something will no longer work on IOS 16 or you’ll get a new phone.

There have been no “gates” in the press.

I’d go for it.

Oh they can actually. Either passively by daily prompts or actively by updating the 2-factor login app to only work with the latest iOS.

Neither of those things is mandatory. Either is a choice by the user to upgrade.

Apple will not upgrade your device without either permission in settings or the user agreeing by pressing a button.

Of course, yes Dark patterns could be a thing, but again, not mandatory.

To be clear Geoff, I’m not referring to Apple but my employers device management. So I think that just like last year my use of iOS 17 may be determined by my employers global policy.

1 Like

Ah, yes. That will be a a factor I hadn’t considered.

1 Like

Yet another fix

There are always going to be fixes whether for iOS, WatchOS, iPadOS, macOS, or even Windows. Programmers and software engineers make mistakes — I should know as in my career been both of those.

1 Like

And new Vulnerabilities are identified regularly

1 Like