Taking Smart Notes with DEVONthink by Kourosh Dini has been released

Interesting! Yeah, I had a totally different coupon.

There’s about 30 pages focused on DEVONthink to Go, and it’s mentioned on and off throughout the rest of the book. The book is mainly macOS-centric though. Personally I think note taking with DTTG is more of a punishment than a pleasure.

I should mention that he does a good job explaining how well DEVONthink works with external editors and how it (and his theme, note taking) can be supported across a broad ecosystem of apps and features. And he provides macros for Keyboard Maestro in the download package that are very nice and assistive.

5 Likes

I agree. The editor does not open full screen. The editor overall on DTTG is poorly designed. It is fine for quick entry of basic text but I would not want to take notes in it.

2 Likes

I have so much hope for the new version of that app. I just hope to see it before I die of old age.

4 Likes

I think they’re timing the release to coincide with nvUltra’s release.

8 Likes
This seems to apply to both of these threads, so I’ve linked it.
3 Likes

Not sure how I missed this, but here is some of the content from the book, as a series of blog posts.

4 Likes

Did you buy it and read it? If so, do you consider it worth the price?

1 Like

Just noticed that Devonthink 3 has upgraded on Nov 19, and has added back-link capability, and other link-related features! This should greatly increase its usability for Zettlekasten note taking. I’ve not read the book by Dini, but I am about to get into the blog posts about it. Thanks, JohnAtl for the link!!!

2 Likes

Just curious if anyone has read this? I just looked at a sample. I have never used DT but after doing some research on options, I’m very tempted to dive in.

Yes. I wrote a little about it, linked above.

At the time I was going all in on DT, but have decided on Obsidian, and using DT in parallel.
Kourosh’s book is a gentle application of Sönke Ahren’s book How to Take Smart Notes, applied to DEVONthink.

3 Likes

Have you written about how you’re using Obsidian and DT in parallel? I’m trying to focus on DT and am open to learning more about Obsidian.

Kourosh was on The Informed Life recently talking about taking smart notes with DT.

3 Likes

No, I haven’t, other than what’s scattered around here on the MPU forum.

Essentially, I have a database called zettlekasten. Inside it, I have indexed my folder of PDFs from my reference manager. I’ve also indexed my folder of notes from Obsidian.

My main use of it is to pop over from Obsidian, open a note and look at the See also for that note to see if any serendipitous relationships reveal themselves. Sometimes there’s something, sometimes there’s nothing. Overall, it’s a worthwhile endeavor.

I have an experimental setup that I’m evolving with Obsidian, and TheBrain 12. I use these, and DEVONthink for different purposes. (Irrelevant.) Neither Obsidian nor TheBrain 12 have share extensions on macOS, which for me is a major shortcoming. So, i’ve found it useful to use Drafts and DEVONthink working together to make up for the gaps in Obsidian and TheBrain’s architecture. This diagram lays out what I’m doing. At least until next week when I’ll probably take it all apart and try something different. FWIW, I am not interested in capture on iPads these days – at least not for the software mentioned below.

1 Like

This is a lot more interesting in Light mode :slight_smile:

hahahah I was so confused. Thanks for illuminating here

1 Like

I noticed that this afternoon. I plan on listening this week.

Look again ⁇

Fixed.

It was black text on a transparent background, so some of us couldn’t see it.