Talking myself down from an upgrade?

I’m ready to trade in my MB Air 2017 and a Mac Mini 2018 for a new laptop. The motivation (justification) for this involves about a one-month deadline. If I can’t have it in-hand by the end of Nov. there are logistical problems. So…

The new MB Pros all have ship times that are probably out beyond the end of Nov. by now. That, and the price differential, may rule them out. But I really want a magsafe charger… :frowning:

OTOH, the MB Air M1’s are all in-stock, but the charging is all USB-c/thunderbolt. But they are rumored to be refreshed next year w/ magsafes. And maybe M2’s.

In the end I have basically decided I’ll settle for one of the 2020 M1 MB Air models and be done with it. But still… :roll_eyes:

If you would be satisfied with one of the stock M1 Pro/Max models, rather than a customized build-to-order machine, and if you have an Apple Store near you, you may be able to get one in-store much sooner than the online order dates.

5 Likes

Out of curiosity, what benefits do y’all see of Magsafe over USB-C? I always found it too easy to accidentally unplug Magsafe chargers. Plus I can’t use them for anything else I own, unlike USB-C chargers that work with many things.

2 Likes

IMO, accidentally unplugging a MagSafe plug is infinitely preferable to tripping over a usb-c cord and pulling you laptop off the desk/table.

Which is a bigger deal may depend on how clumsy you are, the number of children and pets in your household, and possibly other factors.

For my part, for my machines without MagSafe, I bought several of these, which are pretty good: Magnetic USB C Adapter 20Pins Type C Connector

2 Likes

I hear you. I thought MagSafe was cool for the magnetic catch and breakaway, but I much prefer USB-C for it’s wide use. Not excited enough about it coming back to want to add another dedicated brick to my backpack.

It’d be the same brick you’d carry for USB-C. This MagSafe cable ends in USB-C rather than being fused to the brick like the previous generation. The new 140w brick isn’t necessary to use with MagSafe. You could also carry a USB-C-to-USB-C charge cable and use one of the other ports, though with the new Pros you’ve one fewer than with the previous generation.

1 Like

Yes, that’s right! Thanks. I knew it was just the cable that made it MagSafe now, but I forgot. I’ll play with the different combinations and see how it goes.

2 Likes

I have a MacBook Air M1 and I love :two_hearts: it although I wish I never downloaded Monterey! Grrr.

2 Likes

best of both worlds! thanks

Hi @Katie. Can you expand on your Monterey Grr?

1 Like

You bet!

Monterey: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

8 Likes

Katie, why you hate Monterrey?

Hola, Luis!
I downloaded it. Next day I could not get on the Internet. I was having problems with McAfee. I had to call Apple Care numerous times. FINALLY, it is fixed!

Vienes de Puerto Rico? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Understood - Yes, soy de PUerto Rico

2 Likes

I’d love to upgrade to the new MBP but Apple only offered me $1650 (US $) for my 1.5 yr old MBP 16". It looks new, no hw/sw issues and it has these specs:

• Processor: 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
  • RAM: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
  • Disk: 2TB SSD
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

I originally paid $4100 and was expecting something around $2500 for trade-in, but…

I don’t trust Ebay or Craigslist. All other sites in the forum don’t even allow you to provide additional RAM and storage specs, so their offer was lower than Apple’s. Not sure if there is another way of selling my MBP out there other than what I already mentioned but I couldn’t find one.

Offer to sell to a local Mac-using company, maybe?

Also, I would look at what you could do to make a local sale on Craigslist or FB Marketplace comfortable and safe for you.

Specced-up build-to-order Macs usually don’t hold their value as well as the stock configurations.

Thank you both. I currently do not have a FB account but may open a dummy one to check out their Marketplace.

Since you’d be selling on Ebay as opposed to buying, you’d be considerably safer. The only thing is the guarantee Mac has in refunds for the customers. Although they don’t always back up the customers like they’ve claimed to do.

That sounds like one sensational computer!

MacSparky use to have ads about a Mac reseller. I am not sure if they are still around.

Try brainstorming. Could you make up flyers for friends and relatives.

I’d be VERY careful on Facebook.