Talking myself down from an upgrade?

Refurb tracker came through! My order has shipped and will arrive Tuesday. 16gb RAM, 512Gb ssd mb air M1

Will sell 2017 Air and 2018 mini soon…

Net should be around $600

5 Likes

Just the base 14", more than enough for me!
8-Core CPU, 14-Core GPU
16GB Unified Memory
512GB SSD Storage
:grinning:

1 Like

Sounds terrific and I am fairly sure although I don’t think we can any longer install any more Ram we can add more hard disk space at least that is the way I understand it. ie reconfigurable. Nah, I think they mean configurable at time of purchase. Oh well…

1 Like

Yep, with these you have to get it right first time. There is an SD card slot though. When I bought a 13" MBP years ago with a128GB SSD (Apple had a rare, superb promotion deal in Thailand for a bit, but base model only) I bought a low profile SD card and left it permanently plugged.

I didn’t use BackBlaze back then so I was always nervous of data loss, but these days I think it is a legitimate way to increase internal storage (albeit on a separate drive and slower)

2 Likes

It truly does! That is a terrific idea. I wish my Mac had that slot. I have been backing up my photos on an iDevice. It is super easy. I even like the look of it. No idea how to get files on there but you likely can.

Then rather than. use Time Machine, some people here recommended Carbon Copy Clone. I should have done it before downloading Monterey but sometimes I am mopey. I did use it yesterday and it took all of 40 minutes.

Just a warning to be careful with these (and presumably other) magnetic charging dongles.

I just attached one and got a beautiful and surprisingly large spark.

On closer inspection, it looks like a very s metal filing of some sort was clinging to one side of the magnetic coupling, and must have been in just the right (wrong) place to cause a short.

As far as I can tell, no harm done. I made sure all parts of the coupling were clear, and the computer is charging just fine. But I thought I’d flag this as a potential risk.

I suppose something similar could happen with a standard USB-C cable, but I assume a magnet is more prone to picking up stray slivers of conductive metal.

No idea where the metal came from.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up - glad no major issues