The “another app” syndrome

Hi there,

Does anyone relates do the following scenary:

Using stock apps on iPhone and Mac -> see a third party app has been updated (pocket cast, for instance, or spark mail) -> sets up a workflow with that app -> after some time, feels it offers a lot o unnecessary features -> gets back to stock app… and so on.

I’ve doing this with mail, tasks and podcast apps.

And you?

3 Likes

Nooo not at all :wink:

1 Like

Interesting - for me, when I listen to the podcast, I always want to try something different…

4 Likes

@JohnAtl Doesn’t ir end up bothering you?

Yes, that was a winking face at the end :slight_smile:

I’m reading on my iPad now, and can’t decide where my notes should go, so I’m not making any. Maybe I’ll just get some paper…

If there is/was a way to link to an Apple Note, I might just use that.
OTOH, I like Drafts because I can use actions to do great things without poking the screen 100 times. But I don’t get the whole Inbox / Archive paradigm.
I could go on about Bear and Agenda and Ulysses…

2 Likes

I’m 95% certain I just read in another thread that there is a way to link to an Apple Note.

1 Like

Yes, you can.

1 Like

Well, that’s pretty awesome. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes. Lately I only use third party apps if it offers a major capabilityI miss. For example, creating notes Apple Watch is what I use Drafts mostly for. Here’s what I wrote on this.

I wish this were a little more like creating note links in Evernote, but this is a pretty great find

I’ve done this - getting an app because it gets that “oooo neat!” response in my brain - I’m glad that a lot of apps now have a 14 or 30 day trial period where I can decide if the app is still something worth spending the money on/delving into deeply enough.

While there are certain apps that I couldn’t live without, I’ve definitely purchased some apps that weren’t necessary, where stock apps seem to do the best job. PDF managers are my achilles heel for some reason, I must’ve tested a zillion of them, but still end up using Preview on my Macs because I like the simplicity and ease of use.

I believe the term you’re looking for is ‘crimping.’

5 Likes

Hey, it even has a name!

3 Likes

Me too!

I always end up finding new apps too “bulky”. I’m too much into aesthetics - I always come back to the simpler app.

1 Like

Every academic I know must be afflicted, lol. If there’s one thing that we love to do (aside from our work) is fiddle with the ways in which we get it done :joy:

5 Likes

I’ve tried several apps to help solve CRIMPing.

5 Likes

I personally have no issues with the stock apps and I use all of them almost exclusively. BUT i absolutely cannot stand the stock podcasts app. The stock podcast app reminds me of iTunes on MacOS.

Overcast all the way.

5 Likes

I have this problem…oh boy, do I have this problem.

2 Likes

I don’t like stock podcast aesthetics… it’s too bulky.

Why overcast and not pocket casts?

Welcome to the team!

Are you using stock app now?