The pain of WWDC recaps on every podcast

I have a friend who is both knowledgeable about firearms and has written a lot of action adventure fiction. He says gun enthusiasts are indeed extremely fastidious about realism, and will write in if you make what they believe to be an error.

However, he says, all these things can be deactivated with the magic word “modified.”

1 Like

As one who grew up in the military, owns several firearms and has some tactical training under his belt, and as a fellow tech enthusiast, I have to say that this also sounds a lot like tech enthusiasts! :laughing:

2 Likes

I was thinking that too.

The magic word for fictional tech is “hacked.”

1 Like

Stephen is great, but I used to love when Katie would reel in David sometimes.

Opinions will of course vary - I did not like this at all and it almost made me give up on the podcast on one occasion. (Glad I did not, obviously.)

1 Like

6 years and the same CarPlay bug is there. I try the app every time an update drops and it’s still there.

@Drewster I particularly enjoyed the discussion on OmniFocus and SkedPal. Your podcast is a breath of fresh air. Keep them coming .

1 Like

Which CarPlay bug?

2 Likes

I just subscribed. I look forward to listening to your podcast as I do my daily run. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Open overcast from CarPlay interface try to start a podcast. Nothing. Have to pull over kill the app reopen in CarPlay interface and now you can start a podcast.

1 Like

This is why I use the default app in the car.

I wouldn’t call myself an enthusiast. I grew up around guns as many boys did in those days and years later received additional training. But I haven’t fired a weapon in decades.

1 Like

I think the problem with the recaps this year was expecially bad because wwdc was a big nothingburger and most of the iOS things that were announced should have just been .7 or .8 updates. Shortcuts for macOS? that should have been a Big Sur 11.5 update. Trying to fill a podcast making a nothingburger sound exciting is a chore…

Possibly. PocketCasts works perfectly

1 Like

Long time PocketCast user - support the local Aussie developers.

Like that their Trim Silence has 3 settings - Mild, Medium and “Mad Max” :smile:

2 Likes

Whilst I haven’t unsubscribed to many, I sometimes skip whole episodes - eg. WWDC coverage offering no new insights, topics I’m not interested in etc.

Still have way too many and a big backlog :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I went back to pocketcasts because it works great and I’m a lifetime premium account.

2 Likes

First, we do have increasingly burdensome duplications in the podcast scene. It’s not a phenomenon limited to the Apple fandom and ultimately our own responsibility as listeners to keep the subscription list manageable. We can’t blame the competition (which is a good thing) for the time wasted on overconsumption.

Second, maybe it’s just my personal preference but I do find opinionated shows like ATP are worth listening to more than ones that simply recount the official announcements. For the latter purpose I can always get the equivalent information more efficiently via text posts. It’s true that ATP can sometimes be too critical to be fair, but at least the comments are mostly supported by facts or technical details, therefore there’s still something to learn even if you don’t agree with them. And it’s better having biased criticism than bland propaganda. That’s why I only listen to The Talk Show when an episode features a guest I’m interested in.

3 Likes

I pruned my podcast subscriptions quite some time ago (no more MPU, Upgrade, Connected, Cortex, or ATP). I won back a lot of time and I don’t feel I’m missing out.

Automators might be the next one to go. All these shows have the tendency to be much longer than needed (to have enough sponsor slots?). That’s what I like about Under The Radar; it’s never longer than 30 minutes… (plus that it gives me a different perspective because they are Indies, while I work for the man)

2 Likes

WWDC is for developers (except for the keynote); not for consumers.

For developers WWDC21 was huge!

(Structured concurrency in Swift - weird enough that is a 0.5 update though…)

1 Like

Sorry, when referring to WWDC I am speaking about the keynote only.