The perfect note taking app., relationships, sex, marriage, and divorce

You noticed that we remembered & retained better writing down onto cards rather than doing it electronically these day? Physically writing helps.

3 Likes

You’re a wealth of knowledge, both analogue and digital :smiley:

Reading that article certainly help justify preference for both paper and digital. Obviously it does demand more time to do both, especially converting important ones from paper to digital. Even tried those smart pens but they’re not comfortable. Something wring on iPad doesn’t bring the same “joy” and “flow” compared to a nice rollerball pen on paper.

3 Likes

Yes I have been watching Ali for quite some time. He has great content. Fortunately, his app advice is much better than his understanding about marriage of which he is very naive.

And, does not have a good moral frame of reference regarding marriage and relationships, at least based on his words.

1 Like

Oh snap, this is really great. Excellent find! I love Anki (some of the power-up add-on stuff like image occlusion is a must). I’ve also been looking at a similar app called iDoRecall. but am in a similar boat about if I can export things to it or not.

I still like writing things out for first outlines and for drafts of certain items. There IS something about the physical act of writing things out. SRS systems like Anki are best for material you are already familiar with and understand, but want to maintain it in long-term memory for longer than you normally would. It makes memorizing things a selective process instead of hoping that you remember things in time for an exam.

As a scientist, there are literally thousands of things that I could focus on and forget over time, but with Anki I’m selecting those things that I want to maintain for years/decades.

Plus, as someone with ADHD, sometimes things only sink in once I’ve repeated them a few hundred times :slight_smile:

Well RemNote looks cool … Wish there was a desktop version with local storage, though. I’d prefer not to put my stuff in someone else’s cloud.

One of Barrett’s linked videos above is about how Notion (which I believe Abdaal is affiliated with in some way) is ideal for students. I thought that was especially interesting in light of Shawn Blanc’s post today about it.

His team ceased using BaseCamp in favor of Notion and they’ve been using it for the last two weeks. They’re not unhappy with the product, although they’ve needed to “re-think and re-build our entire process”, but what struck me was that Blanc said he’s still writing in Ulysses because as for Notion “it’s terrible” for content creation, directly contradicting Abdaal (whose ardently enthusiastic productivity/quantification videos have garnered him over a million subscribers).

Instead of entirely switching team systems, given the needs he said weren’t being met by Basecamp I’m really surprised they didn’t just add a kanban (there are several that integrate with Basecamp) to handle team-tracking and an editorial calendar for articles… that’s precisely how some writers I know use kanbans like Trello. :man_shrugging:

Interesting posts from Shawn. Reading it, I suspected they were misusing Basecamp by making too many projects—one would suffice and let them move everything through inside of it. This is what Jason has been advocating in his videos over the last year and I suspect Basecamp 4 will encourage it more than 3 does. The part about not being able to see who is doing what does not make sense to me, but I could see a company working their way into a situation where an assignment doesn’t really mean that (or they feel it’s not template-able and too much effort to assign.)

Certainly their prerogative to move and I’ll be interested to see how they are liking their new system several months in.

I think there has been research in this regards whereas no matter tool that you using the brain still needs to use some processing power away from focusing on learning with putting content into the software converservly you can write notes without looking.

I think some of the new software (aka Good Notes, Nebu and others) takes advantage of the Apple pencil to still write notes in an iPAD and then convert them to text automatically.

I think this is the new standard and now has become mandatory at the univesity that my daughter is attending.

1 Like

This was my experience using Basecamp years ago. Everything had to be a project. I think it was made simple to bring a lot of non-computer users into project management. For many projects, I prefer the Kanban method like Trello and see that this mode is being used in many software apps.

Notion allows users to provide much customization with their Lego blocks building approach.

Yes, I think that they’d mostly just need to change the language (or provide training around the range of options despite the language, as Jason Fried’s videos in the last year have done) so people don’t get hung up on the wording and think that. When a project is a team (like the article content team at Blanc) then to-do lists or individual to-dos are the projects. Kanban is just moving a to-do through a series if lists, if you like that inventory style, as individual to-dos have their own statuses, attachments and dicsussions. How they manage that perception while keeping the first impression simple and friendly to the agency software roots is a challenge!

He’s VERY good! He certainly held my attention despite a raging headache. He seems to enjoy partaking in caffeine perchance? I disagree with a lot of his methodology and, in spite of the first video, he seems to be trying to get it down to a science. However, his approach is so chock full of information! Picking up and teaching that course again for him would be a cinch.

I especially disagree about copying your notes. If you do so soon afterwards, it’s a way of attending the class again! Super reinforcing plus you can clear up things that may not be fuzzy if you wait. Just so long as you’re not zoning out.

The physical act of writing will make the material more readily available. (Apple Pencil!)

When learning ANYTHING, the first thing you want to do is to go for gist, for understanding. You can clear up the details, memorize facts later.

Also osmosis can help. Although a visual learner, I use to read my notes into a tape recorder and especially play them before an exam. Cut way down on any anxiety. And it beats trying to review a 10 pound Constitutional Law book at red traffic lights! Those were the days!

Indeed. I was on the eve of finishing the main thrust of my masters thesis when I got the original 12.9 iPad Pro and pencil, and all my reading notes went into Notability thereafter. It was enlightening moment to have my handwritten notes suddenly available across all my devices for instant review.

I think this is the new standard and now has become mandatory at the university that my daughter is attending.

It’s taken a few years, but yes, I agree. I see far more students now using some sort of tablet device (usually an ipad) than in the past. So they are slowly taking up more and more ground.

1 Like

I find it interesting how the reduction of friction on the most minute details has such a big effect. Akin to a butterfly falpping its wings in Brazil causing a hurricane in the Gulf.

In this case, I think it is the response time between the Apple pencil and the application where milliseconds of delay can make the difference in usability.

I think the processing power and Pencil tech have finally caught up with the manual lead pencil on paper and this only was recently done.

1 Like

This is a sample out of my daughter’s high school notebook (Combination of English and Thai) using Goodnotes on a Ipad Pro with Apple II pencil.

I think with the ability to quickly change colors it keeps things interesting at least for girls.

Today I was able to show them both how to use the new version of Goodnotes to collaborate with their class mates.

It is a full time job trying to stay ahead of the technology curve to still maintain coaching level to my girls. Thanks to the MPU user community to keep me abreast of the latest offerings.

Damn I wish I had this tech in my university days where I was cranking reports out on a manual typewriter and researching in the library. Nothing good about the “Good Old Days” This was only 40 years ago. It will be interesting to see how far things move ahead in the next few decades.

3 Likes

Personally, if I’m around long enough I’m just going to have Hal do all my research! :slight_smile:

iu

3 Likes

Just be sure to keep a spare key of the pod bay doors :grin:

4 Likes

Or crowbar!

20 …

4 Likes