The “Secret Scroll”

Curious where you are seeing this behavior. I personally have the scroll bar always visible (System Preferences / General). Probably a left-over comfort feeling from my Windows day!?

The Privacy Pane does it in the list of app permissions.

I have been a Mac user since the 1980s and never knew this. Thanks for sharing it. (It also works on Safari on iPad OS.) Truth be told, my muscle memory is such that I probably won’t use this function even though I now know it exists. Just like many things. LOL

1 Like

I never knew this- thanks for sharing

1 Like

Just to add to that tip, you can use it on iPad Pro with physical keyboard in Safari. Also other applications support it, like Discourse iOS app.

1 Like

What about Fig?

You’re making me miss Aqua. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I was today years old about learning the spacebar to scroll up and down. Thank you @Bmosbacker !

1 Like

As a recent MacOS user, it is absolutely new to me, and I will put it to good use. Thanks for the tip. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

System pref/ general

It’s a nice feature indeed

another scroll related trick is using shift+mouse scroll wheel to scroll horizontally if you don’t have a magic mouse / trackpad handy

1 Like

It is pretty much in all operating systems.

Awesome! Didn’t know of shift + spacebar. I like using j and k where supported (which is a lot across the web these days) to go navigate lists.

• Gmail
  • Discourse
  • Twitter
  • Reddit
  • GitHub
6 Likes

Another magic shortcut I’m not aware of. Thanks for sharing - and welcome to the group :slight_smile:

1 Like

99% of my Discourse forum browsing is j and k. You can keep tapping down past the end of the posts into the list of suggested and unread topics, and then hit o to open one.

Wow I had no idea Discourse had these keyboard shortcuts! Just tried hitting R to reply and that worked too!

Well, it looks like the post was worthwhile after all. :slight_smile: I also did not know about the shortcuts for Discourse.

3 Likes

yes, j and k, an old keystroke shortcut from my vi days … I had forgotten that one! Thank you for the reminder :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I knew about the scroll down trick but had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder.
The scroll up is new to me.

Many thanks.

Discourse has a very extensive list of keyboard shortcuts. You can click the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines in the upper right corner between the search icon and your profile picture) then click “Keyboard Shortcuts” to get an overlay showing them.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t show up on iOS/iPadOS, despite the fact that the keyboard shortcuts themselves work just fine on an iPad with an external keyboard. So, here’s a screenshot:

5 Likes