Tile- not impressed by their product or culture

I bought a few ‘Tiles’ last week and am super unimpressed with them. I was literally (not figuratively) holding out next to my iPhone and it couldn’t be found. Their app is super annoying as well as it constantly tries to upsell their premium service no matter how many times I decline.
Make a great product and I’ll patronize you- not if you whine “unfair”

2 Likes

Fully agree. I have some. They’re flaky. I cancelled my premium subscription and I dislike their whining.

1 Like

I bought 2 tile Pro’s a while ago, never been that impressed by them.

Thankfully I needed needed them but few times I checked they did not work. Either lost their settings or had an empty battery. These things should be set and forget…

1 Like

CJ Prober is secretly Tim Sweeney, right? There is no way…

1 Like

Here is the funny part. I am beta testing Tile’s software. Yesterday it crashed and kept crashing after I restart the phone. When this app crashes, it hijacks your screen with a prompt to share the log report with Tile; and you can’t dismiss it even if you shared the report.

I was able to finally remove the whole app from my device.

I use this app to track my keyring that has built in tile. Now I will attach an AirTag to it to find my tile.

2 Likes

Tile has just been resting on their laurels for so long; they have not fixed any of their issues, and for the longest time their trackers were disposable. As people have pointed out elsewhere, their greatest innovation was to put replaceable batteries in there! They could have made their product compatible with Find My, but oh, no.
It’s a really great idea with a really terrible execution. In a world of competition, this company has failed on multiple fronts and is now paying the price.

Not everybody is using an iPhone or iPad…

If they make it compatible with Find My it can’t be used in their app, it’s either Find My or nothing.
I’ve used them and they work well enough ish for me but will be getting Air Tags.
The fact that anyone with an Apple Device can find a lost item rather than relying on having users with the Tile app is a big bonus as not many people have Tiles over here.

1 Like

I used to misplace my keys all the time and purchased a Tile for the keyring some years ago. IMO, a total waste of money. Once we can travel again I’ll buy a couple of AirTags. One for my keyring, which travels in my backpack, and the other for checked luggage.

Fortunately for my bank account Apple didn’t announce anything else that I need.

1 Like

I am considering an AirTag for my AirPods which have the worst implementation for Find My.

4 Likes

hopefully someone will make a case with a slot for it!

2 Likes

There are some AirPods cases to which you can attach a lanyard. But doing so and adding an AirTag would add to the bulk considerably.

Hermes has several small bags that would do the trick - for the price of a Mac Pro.

I’d probably use gaffer tape. :grinning:

3 Likes

Currently have a tile sticker on them so which has found them a few times for me :slight_smile:
They’re pretty bulky.

1 Like

I can buy several AirPods Pro’s with single Hermes item. So I can lose them at convenience.

1 Like

Perhaps the Hermes AirTags work on reverse psychology… at that price, I would never misplace the item to which it is attached. Prevention is better than cure :rofl:

3 Likes

That item is such a fascinating feat of circular logic. Buy a fancy strap for a tag that will help you make sure you don’t lose the fancy strap.

I have well over twenty Tiles; on cats, keys, stuff animals, purses, walking sticks, etc. I never had the issues reported here.
I misplaced one of my sets of AirPod Pros and tried Find My. Did not help but the Tile did.
No, I am not a Tile fan boy just find that they work and I did not need to buy an add on just to attach them to something. I have used other devices in the past but settle on Tile.
Obviously, other people mileage varies.

1 Like

I have used Tiles for years and have about a dozen of them on various things, including keys, remotes, my Kindle (WHY is there no “Find my Kindle”?!), etc. However, they are quite erratic. Here’s a photo from a couple of days ago that shows the Tile app cheerfully telling me that the tile on my fire TV remote was not in range when the remote was literally sitting next to it.

So that’s why I stayed up until 5 AM PDT on the 23rd to order eight of the new airtags. I need these locators to work, and Tile was semi-OK at doing it part of the time, but I need better reliability than that.

1 Like

I have been a Tile user for about 2 years. I stopped using them shortly after Apple released their AirTags.

Back in December 2021 I cancelled my Tile subscription. And I requested the deletion of my Tile account and all my personal data in accordance with GDPR (EU data protection regulations).

On December 9th, 2021, a Customer Care person confirmed my request do delete my “Tile account along with other requested information”:

As you requested, we have processed the deletion of your Tile account. This process is permanent and irreversible, please allow up to 24 hours for your information to be deleted.

My account indeed was deleted, at least I thought so because the login does not know my email address any longer. So far, so good?

Not really.

I keep receiving emails by “Tile” aka “Tile by Life360” (these days): First, I was offered “free batteries” for my Tiles (that I destroyed months ago). I unsubscribed to their marketing email after that. And two days ago, they informed me about their New Privacy Policy by email, I answered this email - politely. Requesting - again - to remove my email address and any further personal data they have stored regarding myself. The answer was an automated mail with garbage concerning how I can request “Do Not Sell or Share my Personal Information” in my “Life360.com” account and much more. Well, I do not have a Life360 account.

And in the end of this automated email:

Please let us know if you cannot access your account, and we will be happy to assist you further.

Well I jumped onto this invitation and repeated my request to delete all my personal data and my email address from their database. I reminded them of EU regulations.

Today, I received a personal email from another Customer Care person:

(…) am unable to locate an account using your email address. I also see that you have previously requested your account to be deleted, so that was done for you.If you are still receiving emails from us, I apologize for any frustration that our emails have caused. Those might be our marketing emails. You can click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any marketing email. If you’re not able to do that, you can email ______ @ tile.com (I removed the address).

Well, of course the email did not contain any “unsubscribe” link (which Customer Care could have seen because I included their email in the first place.

So, I did answer again: to the ticket and with CC to their “marketing” email. I requested to … you know the drill.

I will end this post here with one last thing:

Be cautious about Tile or to say it differently - with @DannyR’s words: I am “not impressed by their product or culture”. I have the feeling that you never ever really get out of their system. I have learned my lesson.

2 Likes