Tiled window management

Apple should make this a standard feature of Finder!
Most users are utterly confused with Mission control and spaces and end up never using it or are getting lost in countless unused desktops…

I know about the various window managers like Moom, Magnet, and Divi. But they all require some manipulation and management that most average users don’t’ want to deal with.

System 64 PopOS is solving this very nicely!

1 Like

Very cool!

I love this. It needs to be available on the Mac.

For the benefit of those who do not want to sit through the 11-minute video: It’s a tiling window manager that opens automatically. Open a second app and the first automatically goes to half-screen and the second goes in the remaining space. Open a third and the second goes in quarter-screen and the third goes in the remaining quarter screen. And I imagine it just keeps going

This was recently updated and it works so well. :heart_eyes:

You can also install via brew cask install amethyst I believe.

4 Likes

I don’t feel comfortable installing things in macOS from Github.

Also this is definitely not something the average user would do…

That’s fair; however installing a tiling window management tool is not something an average user is going to do ever more than likely! It’s a pretty power user function.

And there’s lots of software running on your Mac already that is sourced from GitHub to be honest.

I’m a little biased because I work for an open source software company, but larger projects with many contributors are likely low risk.

2 Likes

I’ve never had any security issues with things I installed using homebrew.
Other “mainstream” applications are a different story.

Back on topic, Amethyst is awesome! If it doesn’t make MATLAB mad, I’ll be in metaphorical heaven!

1 Like

Does Amethyst automatically tile windows, like in that demo video above? Or do you have to manually arrange them.

How is Amethyst different from, say, Moom?

brew is a complete mystery to me. I suppose I might want to learn it at some point.

It does automatically tile windows. You can then move between them and move them using keyboard shortcuts. It is very similar to i3 window manager on Linux. You can also change automatic layouts for each space (one can be full screen, another can be columns, another rows, etc.)

Brew is a neat way to install apps and utilities from the command line. Not everyone needs it but for projects like this, it’s the fastest way to install.

1 Like

I’m intrigued to try Amethyst now. Been using Moom for many years but to my knowledge it doesn’t automatically tile windows when you launch a new app.

Keyboard shortcuts are a minus for me. My brain is full up with about as many keyboard shortcuts as it can hold.

2 Likes

For those not inclined to use homebrew or github, there’s a download on the website

1 Like

I never personally use it myself as I prefer CLI version of homebrew but there is https://www.cakebrew.com/ which seems to be GUI on top of homebrew.

1 Like

I don’t put myself in the category of “most users” but I find Mission Control utterly useless. Spaces, on the other hand, is indispensable.

1 Like

Same here. I’ve got 7 desktop spaces (but only really use 4 of them) and dedicate some apps (eg Zoom) to one specific Space.

Mission Control is an ungodly mess. I really like TotalSpaces, which has been around for many years and has proven itself as a superior implementation of Spaces, but I won’t buy it because in order to work users must manually deactivate Apple’s anti-malware System Integrity Protection (SIP), which I’m unwilling to do.

1 Like

I’ve started using Mission Control very recently for a specific purpose: To view all the open windows of DevonThink or Safari and see which one I want to switch to. I may want to use something like Witch or Contexts for that instead.

Using Mission Control for ALL my apps is utterly useless. All I see is a mosaic of similar and indistinguishable text windows.

And I have a very specific use case for Spaces: If I’m writing an article that takes more than a few hours, I’ll have IA Writer open in half of one Space, and a browser or DevonThink notes in another half of that space. And then if I want to take a break to check email or news (or, yeah, Facebook), I can do that from another space and not mess up my arrangement.

That’s what I use BetterTouchTool for.

Image on 2020-05-08 12.17.47 AM

I just discovered that Keyboard Maestro has a switcher that works better than Mission Control for showing open windows.

It’s been coming up by mistake occasionally when I fatfingered Cmd-Tab and hit Ctrl-Tab instead. Been meaning to disable that. Now I think I won’t. :slight_smile:

I always use(d) BetterTouchTool key shortcuts for window management. Which is fine and I will probably keep some of them for different use cases. (Amethyst seems to adapt really well if I resize a window via BTT, so it seems they are not interfering)

A few days ago I finally got a 27 inch monitor and most of the time I really don’t like to have a window full screen, so I thought I’d try this. In short: it’s awesome. Install via brew cask worked flawlessly.

Don’t know how this will be in the long run but right now I am really delighted! :tada:

1 Like

I’m still using it on my Mac mini with 2x 27" 4K displays. It’s quite nice to have the auto arrange. There are times I need to turn it off, but those are few.

1 Like

One app that brings back some usefulness to mission control is Mission control plus (also available on Setapp).
It lets you close windows and quit apps from mission control by just hovering on a Windows and hitting the CMD+W or CMD+Q shortcut.
My spaces tend to grow completely out of control after a few hours of work and I often want to visualize what I am quitting / closing , mission control plus makes that possible : much more than classic app switching then quitting (CMD + Tab then quit/close).

Window management wise , i have been using Mosaic happily for a while now , but it is not automated , still requires the user to proactively hit a hot key or drag the window to a side of the screen to trigger the mosaic bar offering resizing options.