Time to rip off the Evernote bandaid - can you help me to chose my new "Evernote"?

Good to hear. Right now I’m still mostly using Mac-only EagleFiler, and have dipped my toes in the Notebooks water, but haven’t fully gotten wet yet.

2 Likes

DEVONthink is a real power tool.I would go for that

3 Likes

Notebooks looks interesting however essentially they have the same business model as Evernote - they are a ‘pure play’ notes application/company. If Evernote struggles making their business case work is there any reason to think Notebooks will not eventually have the same problem. I am heavily invested in Evernote and prefer to migrate to another notes app one time. In other words, I’d hate to migrate to Notebooks then have to migrate to another note platform in the future. (Of course, nothing in certain with OneNote or Apple Notes too).

I tried whole-heartedly to move to DT, but it just seems like overkill for my needs. It worked well, but with the upgrade to DT3, I just can’t justify the expense.

Also tried Notebooks, but something just doesn’t click with me, don’t know what it is, but stuff just didn’t go in easy or come out easy.

For now, my bucket is EagleFiler, like @bowline It just needs an iOS client…

1 Like

Apples and oranges, I think (maybe apples and ceviche): one’s a service with server costs and thousands of employees, the other is a typical indie developer. And the products are different too, despite their commonalities. Dinging Notebooks would also be dinging apps like Keep It! and even DevonThink.

For now I’ve just decided to keep using EagleFiler on the Mac, and either migrate files to it from iOS when needed, or else I use Apple Notes (and Google Keep, and Ulysses) for cross-platform stuff.

I’d love to find a single replacement for EagleFiler (as the dev has expressed zero interest in an iOS app) but with the periodic reports here and elsewhere of sync issues with some apps using iCloud, and my not wanting to upgrade my Dropbox account, I’m content to make do for the time being.

I have Notebooks and the latest version is quite nice, but I’m just really conservative about switching, and I’ve had three good years with EagleFiler (and nine mixed years with DevonNote/DevonThink/DevonThink Pro before that).

3 Likes

I’ve been experimenting with Notion - the Evernote import worked flawlessly!

1 Like

Any commercial app can go away with no warning at any time. Apple Notes is unlikely to disappear anytime soon. When Apple decides to sunset the app they will have a replacement. For those reasons, if I were in Bernt’s position I’d be moving to Notes (or One Note for its PC compatibility).

To cite David, .txt, .pdf, and .jpg are formats that will last, proprietary formats will only last as long as the developer wants it to.

I was highly invested in Evernote and broke away four or so years ago. I was having problems using Evernote and couldn’t quite put my finger on what the issue was. Then I came across this article by Alex Payne and was really persuaded by his argument:

After studying that, I abandoned Evernote and developed a system using the file system, purpose-specific database tools like Zotero for reference material (where the files are still just saved in my file system), Lit Softwares suite of apps for my trial practice; Logos for theological materials, Paprika for recipes and cooking-related howtos and information, and others. I realized in using Evernote that I was not doing anything with information other than collecting it. Now, I actually process the information I obtain and synthesize it into my broader knowledgebase. There have been a lot of really positive effects for me. First, I have an easier time finding things. Second, I get more use from the information I have (e.g., as a trivial example, building out my Paprika database has paid great dividends when it comes to ease in planning, shopping, and cooking). Third, I don’t have to re-process the information I have collected every time I need to use it. I processed it at the beginning, so the next time I need to do something with it, I can build on top of what I have rather than rebuild.

So, my thought is that if you are going away from Evernote, don’t replace it with another Evernote. Build a system based around tools that maximize your ability to quickly access and extract useful insights from the information you are keeping.

13 Likes

Hi @bowline (my bad for the slow reply)…good comments, thanks. Not sure I agree that its truly “apples and oranges”. I comprehend and agree that Evernote has higher expenses as you state. At onetime even evernote was an indie/start-up that grew to where they are now. I wonder that as Notebooks (or any other competing notes app) grows will their expenses also increase putting pressure on their business plan.

Love this. Are you OCR’ing your documents that go into the file system? Considering getting out of Devonthink, but still want to be able to search the documents that I have on hand.

Yes. I have a copy of PDFPenPro around just for the batch OCR tool. If I could figure out a way to make an AppleScript or Hazel rule to automatically ocr every PDF I save, that would be perfect. But I do it once a week and it’s not a time consuming chore. (Although, most PDFs I get these days are already OCR’d.)

2 Likes

I’m not sure how much Alfons Schmidts’ expenses would increase with more sales? He’s not maintaining a service for storing people’s documents.

1 Like

Abbyy has a scriptable AppleScript interface. I’m doing exactly what you’re describing with hazel - auto ocr new documents that got added to iCloud

1 Like

I have Abbyy, but only through ScanSnap. Do I have to have a stand alone copy to make this work?

Hmm I’m not sure. Try top open the script editor app, then click “open dictionary” from the menu. Select Scansnap or the app you’re using and check if there are any functions exposed for scanning / ocr-ing a file.

I’m using the standalone abbyy

I’ve got an AppleScript for using PDFPenPro for OCR’ing my PDFs automatically straight from Hazel. Got it from Automators forum and tweaked a little bit:

Hope it helps you!

tell application "PDFpenPro"

open theFile as alias

-- does the document need to be OCR'd?

get the needs ocr of document 1

if result is true then

tell document 1

ocr

repeat while performing ocr

delay 1

end repeat

delay 1

close with saving

end tell

--In PDFpen, when no documents are open, window 1 is "Preferences"

--If other documents are open, do not close the App.

if name of window 1 is "Preferences" then

quit

end tell

end if

else

-- Scan Doc was previously OCR'd or is already a text type PDF.

tell document 1

close without saving

end tell

--In PDFpen, when no documents are open, window 1 is "Preferences"

--If other documents are open, do not close the App.

if name of window 1 is "Preferences" then

quit

end tell

end if

end if

end tell
3 Likes

Here’s mine with standalone Abbyy + hazel. It’s on my github too!

tell application "System Events" to tell disk item (theFile as text) to set {theName, theExtension} to {name, name extension}
if theExtension is not "" then set theName to text 1 thru -((count theExtension) + 2) of theName -- the name part

tell application "Finder" to set hazelPath to (container of alias (theFile as string)) as text
set pdfPath to hazelPath & "(OCR) " & theName & ".pdf"

tell application "FineReader"
	repeat while is busy
		delay 1
	end repeat

export to pdf pdfPath from file theFile image quality high quality ocr languages enum [Japanese, English]

repeat while is busy
		delay 1
	end repeat
end tell
  • The first part is to break down the file into filename and extension (because I use this for OCRing images too and then turn them into PDF files so sometimes the extension isn’t .pdf but .jpg)
  • The second part is creating the filepath where the file hazel is using is located, then sets the output name to “(OCR) filename.pdf”
  • The FineReader part is the actual call to abby. The repeat while busy makes sure that the script waits if FineReader is already busy OCRing something else. The export to pdf is telling FineReader to OCR the file with Japanese+English language settings, then output it at pdfPath which is set above

I have a variant of this to run inside DEVONthink as well for when I want to use standalone abbyy instead of the version that ships with DT here. You have to put that into DEVONthinks script folder

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I will try this today and report back.

Thank you for sharing. I just “starred” your github page for this project. I’m @ Github here. Looking forward to trying it out.