Touch ID on the Mac

Having gotten my Mac Studio on order my intention was/is to use my existing Logitech MX Keys keyboard & MX Master 3 for Mac Mouse.

However, I am quite intrigued by the thought of Touch ID on the Mac which I can achieve by picking up the new Touch ID keyboard but that’s runs an incredible £200. So, I am wondering if Touch ID is worth it?

What are your thoughts? And how does it impact the use of 1Password in particular?

Nice purchase! For 1Password in particular, I can tell you that I have mine auto-locking less often because Touch ID is not always available to me (clamshell), and because watch unlock isn’t 100% reliable. If you share a computer or have concerns about someone getting into your Mac, then it could certainly be worth buying a Touch ID keyboard to be able to conveniently authenticate 1Password more often.

2 Likes

I’m the only user of the computer and thinking about it I have 1Password unlocked for long periods. I guess the main time its going to be of benefit is to unlock the computer and initial sign in to 1Password. so only a few times a day. Maybe not worth it then.

Wait, the keyboard Touch ID works when the MacBook is in clamshell mode?? I’d read numerous reports that it doesn’t.

If it actually does, the keyboard is something I’ll have to consider at some point. Eventually. Like I need reasons to spend more money…

Edited to add: I misread your post, and now see you’ve set auto-locking to be less frequent because of the unavailability. I was too hopeful. :frowning: Oh, well, my wallet will stay happy.

1 Like

It’s so nice that you have to type your master password only once every 2 weeks when you have Touch ID!

1 Like

My understanding is that Touch ID works in clamshell mode, but does not work for Apple Pay in clamshell mode. But I could be wrong.

1 Like

I don’t think so, well more accurately not for me. I use the 'unlock with applewatch function. I have had the same watch now for years, I use it for time, timers, stop watch, unlocking my mac and silent notifications and it was worth every penny of the nearly $1K I paid for it. I sometimes justify costs in the ‘cups of coffee’ way; in this case I will take off $200 for the ‘unlock’ feature of what I paid.

I keep the so called ‘health’ stuff turned off. However I did use it the other day to mark out a half mile for my exercise program. I remember the tree I got to and will use that as a marker from now on. Who cares what this Luddite does! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Not sure about Apple Pay, but Touch ID definitely works in clamshell mode.

Is it worth buying a new keyboard at that price to get it? No.
Did I buy a new keyboard at that price just to get it? Not quite, because I wanted to switch from number-pad to a smaller keyboard too. I buy too many keyboards, though.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the comments, I’m really still undecided. I just can’t wrap my head around spending £200 for one button :slight_smile: And losing some of the features I have.

I think I’m going to switch to my “old” apple keyboard for a few days to see how I feel about it more generally without touch ID and go from there.

For me, TouchID on the Mac is wonderful and I use it all the time to unlock the Mac and 1Password. It’d be worth it to me :slight_smile:

But would you spend $200 for a silver keyboard with black keys? Because that’s exactly what I did, and I wish I was ashamed, but I have no regrets.

2 Likes

I was using my old USB Apple extended keyboard and decided that I wanted to replace it with the wireless version with Touch ID. I don’t even use clamshell mode; the MBP is open on the desk under the 5K screen. It was a pretty big spend for not much gain in features. However I actually like the key action better than the old wired version. And compared to the butterfly version on my last MBP, this keyboard is heaven. Glad I bought it.

2 Likes

How is this possible? The TouchID sensor is covered by the closed lid in clamshell mode, right?

I too have been pondering getting the Apple keyboard with a touch Id key. In my case, it would be for use with an incoming Mac Studio.

It isn’t necessary to get the fancy black keyboard for only :exploding_head: USD $200.

If one is ok with a white keyboard and can skip the numeric keypad it is possible to save $50 with:

Magic Keyboard with Touch ID for Mac models with Apple silicon - US
$149.00

My fantasy is a Touch ID version without the number pad, that has T-shaped arrow keys. I doubt it’ll ever happen. :frowning:

Well I have a Space Grey one with Black keys now so not a massive difference and it matches the MX mouse which I will certainly keep.

If one is ok with a white keyboard and can skip the numeric keypad it is possible to save $50 with:

Magic Keyboard with Touch ID for Mac models with Apple silicon - US
$149.00

Black keys AND Numeric keypad are a deal breaker for me I’m afraid.

That’s also the one I have with my iMac Pro, but I dislike the space grey so I have no shame.

1 Like

I just found out that I can unlock my MacBook M1 with my Apple Watch. Old news for some - but new to me.

I also just ordered the new apple keyboard with Touch ID also so I can have both working

Not quite, as mine is a Logitec MX Keys keyboard. I like this because:

a: Its heavy and doesn’t move on the desk easily
b: It has backlighting
c: it has nice concave buttons which I find quite nice to type on.

But I see why you have no shame. We all like new shiny things.