Tweetbot 6 for Twitter

I will stick with the official Twitter client in the Mac App Store because it is free.

I’m not saying it’s a bad app, I use tweetbot every day, but mainly to just check up on tech news, I rarely post. I appreciate it’s a small sub amount, its just without some major improvements or future deprecation, for me anyway there is no reason now to give them my money.

Same here.

But I do enjoy using Tweetbot for that (for me Twitter = Tweetbot), so I subscribe.

The price is very affordable for consumers; I hope it’s good enough for the producers as well…

3 Likes

I’ve tried to use Tweetbot 5 (paid for it) but find myself going back to the Twitter native app. Probably because Tweetbot 5 does not have the capability of displaying who liked my Tweets. That’s Twitter’s way of making you use their app.

I guess the new subscription model puts Tweetbot 6 on par with Twitter’s app, but here’s the catch: Twitter’s design is pretty good, and the app is free, and I dont find the “promoted” tweets that intrusive. So it’s a tough sell.

Edit: clarification of Tweetbot 5’s limitation.

I’d like to try Tweetbot 6 for a month, but in another Apple Store shenanigan it seems that I would lose my Tweetbot 5 binary!!! If I were Tapbots I would probably be releasing another app altogether.

I completely agree, but I limit the number of other accounts I follow. Other people prefer to follow thousands of accounts, so probably won’t ready every tweet.

If you keep both on your phone, you shouldn’t lose one. Also you should still be able to download 5 from your purchased apps.

Obviously not everyone will think the way I do nor use the product the way I do — several posts above have me ready to yell into my keyboard, but I won’t – but it’s one thing to say “It’s not worth it to me” and another to say “That’s not enough features to be asking for money.”

3 Likes

other way to follow hundreds (I doubt thousands :stuck_out_tongue:) of accounts but still can handle the ‘firehose’ content is by using Twitter’s Lists feature.

Other helpful Twitter feature that quite ‘hidden’ is Collections, built-in Twitter bookmarking with tags. Currently only Charm for iOS that use this feature.

I might subscribe to Tweetbot 6 if they implement Collections

3 Likes

Not a bad subscription price. I just prefer Twitterific.

2 Likes

I presume that was aimed at me. Well for me there are not enough things in the new version to make it worth instantly upgrading (although I probably will anyway at some point). Yes we are all different and my usage of twitter is just to keep up to date with the apps so features like polls, likes etc are things that leaves me cold, in fact I never really got the whole “social media is really important” thing.

I am not knocking tapbots nor am I against subscriptions, and lets be honest $6 a year is negligible, just at the moment I see no compelling need or feature for me to upgrade. We are all different, and that’s worth shouting about and celebrating.

2 Likes

I use Tweetbot 5 every day. In fact its been my twitter app of choice on iOS since the Tweetbot 3(?) days. I have had spells on android in between but upon my return to iOS in October Tweetbot was my first app installation. I in fact paid for it a 2nd time as I had previously bought it under another Apple ID in the past. I felt it was worth paying again rather than mess about getting my old ID logged into etc.

I will most likely upgrade to 6. My concern is I leave it too late because right now it states £6 but thats 50% off! I wouldnt want to pay £12 per year if that was the case. Do we know how long it will be this price?

I too though am not quite ready to subscribe but I am wanting to before the price goes up! I will keep TB5 on my device for as long as possible so as not to lose it just in case.

It’s 50% off compared to paying monthly; it does not imply that the price will increase.

That’s what I think because of the prices I see:

• €0,99/month
  • €6,49/year

The yearly option was advertised as 45% off in my case.

(I subscribed so I can no longer post a screenshot with that info)

1 Like
1 Like

Well a redditor in the subreddit for Tweetbot paid for 5 a few weeks back and hit restore purchase upon said screen and that opened up the version 6 features. Now I did similar back in November I think as I got my new iPhone in October so I did the same and this has in fact unlocked version 6.

I think it has counted for one years subscription although the app store subscriptions section hasnt listed Tweetbot 6 yet.

If they have allowed for a prior payment in recent months to count against this first year then hats off to the Tapbots team. Very nicely done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sadly, it wouldn’t let me restore my purchase of v. 2 in 2011. :cry:

3 Likes

If it is something they have allowed I would expect it to be allowing users who paid for TB5 in the last 6 months perhaps?

This may have only triggered a 7 day trial of it for all I know. I will update here if thats the case.

Absolutely not. I was referencing the way people use Twitter which I realise is as much about me as anyone else. To me, there are some behaviours on Twitter that make no sense to me, but I’m not living anyone else’s life, hence my statement “not everyone will think the way I do”.

I’m not sure what was the last version of Tweetbot I bought but I’m not a heavy Twitter user.
Didn’t feel like there was much of a need to pay for an app. I ended up using Tweetdeck on my Mac but falling into the trap of going to Twitter.com to view the cesspool.

Due to this thread, I ended up downloading the latest version of Tweetbot and I realized very quickly why it’s just such a better experience. No ads but more importantly, no trending icon staring me in my self-control-less self.

I avoid subs where I can but this seems very reasonable although I must say I thought having to pay for the Mac app after subscribing to iOS was a little off-putting and a curious move. I don’t yet have a need to buy the Mac app so I will hold off as only looking at Twitter on my iPad will limit my time on Twitter.

4 Likes

I subscribed - on the strength that they’re now using API V2 - which is apparently a big advance.