Upgrade to Monterey

@Bill_Aus

sounds like you and I are on the same boat. I am retired and doing something similar to what you mention. I am in Sydney by the way, glad to meet a fellow Aussie here.

I also have a 4yo granddaughter who loves reading books and listening to stories, I tried to read as many as I could but get tired and run out of books, I found FarFaria and bought a lifetime license during discount (look for Cyber Monday I guess)

Now the 4yo can find the app on my iPad (after I unlock it) and start reading by herself. I had to limit her read to control her screen time use though.

2 Likes

Hey @fuzzygel hello from the other side, Perth. There are a few Aussies here. One, I am not sure who it is, is the husband of a work colleague of mine.
And I also found out the creator of Keyboard Maestro is also an Aussie who used to live in my suburb! (I am famous by association! :joy:)

But I digress: thanks for the FarFaria link. Will check it out. I am seeing Alex (granddaughter) tonight so will take my iPad along!

Would you like a list of about 25 great storybooks geared to a four year old? I made one up for Bill last night. I’m a retired teacher and overgrown kid. I know what kids love from experience.

1 Like

John, Disk Utility worked like a charm!!! I was ready to send it back to Amazon.

1 Like

Cool! Glad you got it going!

1 Like

that would be great, thanks in advance

While I have experience of Docker, my Apache / PHP setup is not containerised. In the end I installed them both via Homebrew - which had a knock-on impact:

PHP 8 objected to some of my coding sloppiness so I spent half a day chasing down why scripts weren’t working.

All good now, and I get to be more up to date - to the extent 'brew will let me.

1 Like

And at work today, it works perfectly fine on my Lenovo ThinkPad dock. :man_shrugging: Today it did ask for screen recording permissions, so that could be it.

Does anyone that charge their macbook from external display with USB-C Display Port cannot charge anymore since upgraded to Monterey?

This happened to me, with AOC 24P2C connected via Display Port → USB-C → MacBook Air M1 Monterey.

Something cool - if you use your Memoji as your user id icon (not iCloud) and when you are typing your password, the Memoji will look at the password field. If you typed wrongly, the Memoji will frown, or he will show a vomiting face and a few other hilarious reactions.

Try it! That’s so delightful!

6 Likes

That’s hilarious!
Eye rolls and all!

or: CleanShot 2021-10-28 at 09.03.05@2x
Place as many characters as you need.

I’ve found some issues so far with Monterey that will merit consideration for some of us:

• Vagrant and Virtualbox are totally unreliable and flaky as heck. I’ve got some work that requires it and will be switching a lot of these environments to Docker as a result, which works flawlessly on Monterey. Virtualbox is supposedly fixing these issues in a patch at some point. I’m sure that’s true, but I can’t wait around and Virtualbox and Vagrant give me issues with every major new release of macOS. Giant pain.
  • With PHP gone, many of my Alfred workflows don’t work. This is breaking some long-time habits. I’ll see about switching some of them to Keyboard Maestro, and then baking my KM macros into Alfred (which is my preference for KM interaction), but again, another giant bummer.
  • In theory, many of these automations can be done with Shortcuts. I say in theory because Shortcuts is kind of… flaky.

All this just to get my precious proxy icons back. Worth it, though.

2 Likes

just install PHP with Homebrew and everything will work again. If you have PHP 8 incompatibility, brew install php@7.4.

2 Likes

Tried that. Doesn’t work with my most-used Alfred workflows. I already posted an issue in the Github repos for these, and the developers were all unanimous in saying Monterey did in fact break these workflows, regardless of whether or not you have PHP installed, because they no longer know where your PHP installation is on the computer. (And it will vary even between Apple Silicon and Intel machines, so they can’t just make a couple guesses.)

Ah, I see. I would next try aliasing (edit: meant symlinking) those other locations to the new location. Hopefully the developers can provide the paths they’re expecting.

1 Like

I hear you. I don’t want to jerryrig too much of my Intel machine around too much more than it already is, since I’ll inevitably need to transition all this to an AS machine at some point in the future and deal with whatever cruft I’ve introduced. (Trying to follow the KISS methodology these days.)

2 Likes

So I just wasted a day then preparing my scripts for PHP 8… :slight_smile:

Actually I’m glad I did - though I’m still putting out the embers.

found others with same issue here:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/683409

Current workaround is to restart the macbook. If somehow your macbook goes to sleep, there’s very big chance the power delivery from external display will fail.

I love Kobe Yamada’s books!
They are appropriate for all ages including adults (in my opinion).

This is a link to the boxed set What You Do Matters, and the image is of the book covers.

I also highly recommend his book Maybe, with optional Flying Pig :slightly_smiling_face: Amazon says I purchased it 6 times, once for me.

Image is of the flying pig stuffed animal.

2 Likes