Upgrade to Monterey

I’ll try to run a before/after GeekBench when I upgrade.
Not sure that’s a valid test of “snappy” but we’ll see.

I forgot that whenever I upgrade the OS, Photos facial recognition resets, and so, photoanalysisd service will run to reindex the faces… joy!

I am eager to upgrade but use a couple of less usual applications that I am concerned about: HyperResearch, SPSS, Finale, to name a few. Any issues with software compatibility?

I ran GeekBench before and after, and there was no a small change.

macOS ID Platform Architecture Single-core Score Multi-core Score
12 10633873 macOS 64 x86 64 1063 7027
12 10633828 macOS 64 x86 64 1072 8020
12 10633235 macOS 64 ×86 64 980 7505
12 10633177 macOS 64 ×86 64 1041 7511
11 10631082 macOS 64 x86 64 979 6910
11 10629653 macOS 64 ×86 64 982 6614
11 10629484 macOS 64 x86 64 984 6485

DiskMark scores did improve. I only ran one test before upgrading, so it may have been a fluke. For the two after, there was an appreciable speedup in both sequential and random read times.
(2017 iMac Pro, internal 1T SSD)

macOS Seq Read Seq Write Random Read Random Write Date
12 2157 2797 221 123 Oct-26 02:09 System-Volume
12 2371 2829 221 126 Oct-26 02:07 System-Volume
11 1775 2702 179 110 Oct-26 11:25 System-Volume

I wonder if the disk results are a difference between OS versions or if they’re the result of work done to clean things up as part of the upgrade process.

1 Like

That could be.
My results don’t feel sciency.

(Discourse now defeats my ....................... macro, so here’s 20 characters)

Try [](twentycharacters) instead. Discourse interprets it as a markdown link without any text.

3 Likes

Thanks!
Okay, it has to have an actual URL in the parens.

[](http://google.com)

Hmm. Not for me.

Just for fun I’m now upgrading my 2018 MacBook Air (8/256) to Monterey.
Fan is making it hard to hold a conversation! :rofl:

Predicted: 1 hour (after download)
Actual: 1 hour 17 minutes

The reflection is thinking about it but with the added benefit of what to do next time. Could be a big step but I often coach clients to take just the next step as that can help with momentum.

Being a lifelong learner is a lot of fun. In my current role I get to do a lot of reading and research (YouTube), some business development and then the roles of facilitation and coaching. Best of all worlds for me as I’m a bit of an introvert so the coaching and facilitation are fun but I can find my own space once they’re done.

Where can I find your kid’s books? I have a 4yo granddaughter who we all want to grow to be a keen reader. Happy to dig in if you let me know.

Happy to share the link. I’m just tidying up my blog as I started it prior to this chapter in my life so I didn’t really write seriously for others. I look at the posts now think: "what was I thinking?" :joy:

2 Likes

Just upgraded my 2015 MBA to Monterey. Didn’t really time it as I was doing other stuff around the house. So far there are no issues. This is my travel machine and I’m not going anywhere anytime soon so figured if it work well on the Air then it will,be fine on my M1 iMac.

I haven’t had anything published! I did have an agent at one point.

I have a hard time finishing stuff. If I’m feeling good I get WAY too many ideas. And if I’m not, then I get writers block. If I get started I usually do fine but the Mac, iPad etc has so many things to do it’s easy to get distracted. Or I write and can’t stop. LOL!

I didn’t mean anything by pulling up the dictionary but I saw all the words and my brain started getting all sorts of ideas. When I get stuck I’m going to try it. I know they say not to use a thesaurus but if it helps- hey! For instance, for reflect one of the words was “ponder”.

One of the reasons I bought the MacBook Air is to write. I really started off strong.

I can certainly refer you to great kids books. I taught Early Childhood for a long time, usually eight year olds.

For a four year old she would love The Very Hungry Caterpillar. She’ll want to read that over and over. I can generate a list for you easily.

If you can get her hooked on books, she’ll educate herself! You’ll have nothing to worry about. Take her to the library and a bookstore, of course. That’s a terrific age. They are SO smart and so funny.

1 Like

On it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wrote up a list for you. I selected about 25 of my favorites and the kids’ favorites! Let me know where to send it, ok?

2 Likes

woohoo! sure: billjw05@gmail.com. Thank you! :heart:

1 Like

The one gotcha for me has been the loss of built-in PHP. It’s not a surprise it’s gone - so I’ve reinstalled from Homebrew.

However my httpd.conf got ruined by the installation of Monterey - so I’m now trying to repair it.

(I rely heavily on Apache Webserver run as localhost, with numerous PHP scripts.)

Bill, I assure you, it was my pleasure! Now I have it!

Btw, Sweetie the Kitty came by yesterday!

1 Like

Sent you a reply. Hugs to Sweetie! Also just realised I could have messaged you directly! :wink:

1 Like

You can try Takeout which simplifies the process of running dockers.

1 Like

Installed last night on my M1 MBA. Only issue I’ve come across so far is that my ASUS Zenscreen doesn’t seem to work anymore - downloaded the most recent Displaylink drivers and it doesn’t seem to be picking up the monitor anymore. The driver on Displaylink’s website does say macOS Monterey Beta, not the release version so not sure if that’s the reason. Downside is that it means my dock at work is unlikely to work either.