Using Logitech webcams on Mac

I have just purchased a Logitech webcam (C920) which, according to Amazon, was suitable for Mac. It now appears that Logitech do not provide a MacOS software suite with the webcam (they do with Windows) and do not ‘approve’ its use on Mac.

While apps on the Mac do recognise and use the webcam, the reason I purchased it was to get better control of the lighting, zoom, colour balance functions etc. This is not possible without an additional app.

There is a ‘Logitech Camera Settings’ app in the store which has not been updated for 2 years and the support guys at Logitech appear not to have heard about it. It has regular glitches and some of the settings do not work.

Has anyone else had issues with using Logitech webcams on their Macs and, if so, can you recommend any good control software? Many thanks.

1 Like

Are you using v2.5.12 dated 16.July.2018? I normally just use the default setting so I haven’t noticed any problems.

https://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/hd-pro-webcam-c920/downloads

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Wayne. Unfortunately the v2.5.12 you refer to is for Windows only, there is no Mac version which is the issue I am raising. When you click on the OS button it just offers different versions of Windows.

I use been using an app called Webcam Settings with my Logitech C930e for years and it continues to serve me well. Despite not being updated for since 2014, I haven’t run into any issues using this app in Mojave.

I use Webcam Settings to override some of the default settings, including adjusting the Zoom level and turning off autofocus. I create presets so that I can pull up settings easily.

I’ve also used this app with a variety of other cameras without issue. So, I expect it would work fine with the C920 as well.

On a side note, if anyone knows of anything similar to Webcam Settings that’s in active development…I’d appreciate you posting the name/link. While Webcam Settings gets the job done, I’m concerned that it will stop working in a future version of macOS.w

5 Likes

Strange. I downloaded and reinstalled v2.5.12 earlier today using Safari.

08%20PM

1 Like

Thanks Tim. I have seen this app referred to on the web. It generally gets good feedback but, like you say, it is concerning that it may stop working at some point.

I will give it a go as the Logitech one is causing issues when used with Screenflow. There is a point where the zoom stops working when the camera is used inside the app.

Thanks Wayne… I have got it now. This issue seems to be that on the Logitech C920 page the software is not listed…
https://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/hd-pro-webcam-c920/downloads

But on this page for the C930 is it…
https://support.logitech.com/en_gb/product/webcam-c930e-business/downloads

I have installed it and it seems to be fine. Many thanks!

You’re very welcome, Tim.

I’ve been using Screenflow for years and haven’t noticed any incompatibilities with WebCam Settings. Having said that, I don’t typically record video with Screenflow (only the screen and audio).

After trying may different Logitech sites and links, here is one that has Mac software version that supports OS 10.14 and works.

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-in/articles/360024693154-Downloads-Webcam-C930e

1 Like

Had the same problem. C920 with a Mac and no software on the Logitech site. Just found the Webcam Settings app thanks to this post, and it works great. Thanks!

You’re welcome, @Tash.

I abandoned Webcam Settings a few months ago as it stopped working after I upgraded to Catalina. I’ve been using the Logitech Camera Settings app in the meantime, which is pretty limited and doesn’t allow presets to be saved.

I just realized that there’s since been an update to Webcam Settings that supports Catalina…and am back using it again!

1 Like

@timstringer I just purchased a logitech camera and have struggled to get it to work with my Mac, Catalina 10.15.2, especially through the logitech website. Is Webcam Settings maybe the easiest app to just get started recording (thats my only goal right now)? I have also seen a lot of people mention it but was concerned as all the mentions were 3+ years ago. Its also a paid app, correct?

If you just want to be able to adjust the camera settings, your best bet is probably to use Logitech’s software. For my camera (Logitech C930e), the Logitech Camera Settings app does the job…but doesn’t support presets. Logitech may have other software options for newer cameras. I recommend getting in touch with their support.

My main reason for using Webcam Settings is that it allows the saving of presets. It recently received what looks like a fairly minor update that includes support for Catalina. I haven’t used it extensively since the update, but initially testing suggests that it works ok.

1 Like

Maybe I am missing something. I have the Logitech Camera Setting app, but I do not see a way to actually record anything. It just simply shows me the camera view and how each adjustment changes the picture quality.

To clarify, the Logitech Camera Settings app is just for configuring the camera, it doesn’t have any recording options. To perform the actual recording you can use a variety of apps, including QuickTime Player and iMovie.

1 Like

Thank you @timstringer for the update re Webcam Settings. Will have another look at it.

Since starting this thread I have been using the Logitech Camera Setting app and it seems to do everything I need. The point I mention above re using with ScreenFlow still exists - SF seems to override some of the settings.

Bottom line is that I have found a workable solution that gives me good results so pretty happy! :grinning:

You’re very welcome, @timlawson.

Good to hear Logitech Camera Settings is doing the job for you. Hopefully Logitech adds presets to this app at some point so that it’s not necessary to re-apply the settings each time the camera resets.

I wasn’t able to duplicate the issue you’re having with ScreenFlow (I’m using SF 9.0.1). I recommend changing the “Image” setting from “Standard” to “Widescreen” to see if that makes a difference. I also turn of “Auto focus” as I find it doesn’t work very well with my camera.

I couldn’t find a (free) app that worked with my Mac version (10.13.6) and Logitech’s software has been removed from the App Store. I found a general solution for webcams:

1. Open Terminal from Applications > Utilities .
  2. Click inside the terminal window and type “ sudo killall VDCAssistant ” without the quotation marks.
  3. Hit Enter on your keyboard. You may be prompted for your admin password. If everything goes right, you won’t see any confirmation message. If an error occurs, you will see an error message in the terminal window.
  4. Open any app that uses the camera, such as Photo Booth, to confirm that the fix worked.

There is a good utility for controlling mac webcams in the Mac App Store, it’s called Manual Camera Webcam Contol - Here’s the link: https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1484626516?pt=173197&ct=quora&mt=8

1 Like

I was able to find it now -
Here’s the page - https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024849133--Downloads-HD-Pro-Webcam-C920
Here’s the direct download link - https://download01.logi.com/web/ftp/pub/techsupport/cameras/Webcams/LogiCameraSettings_3.0.12.pkg

1 Like