Very interesting new browser

while I am still waiting to get on the new arc browser (on the waiting list for 3 months now), I stumpled into the Beam Browser

Without having to wait, I downloaded and played with it for 10 minutes. It seems very interesting.

It is a browser, but also has

• daily journal
  • notes
  • backlinks
  • easy capturing of web content
  • markdown input
  • publishing
  • calendar
  • export to Markdown files

Just wonder anyone on this forum has more experience using this or the Arc Browser

2 Likes

And a team that doesn’t seem to have any idea how to market their product, paradoxically, makes me less interested in trying their product as I feel like it will be abandonware soon. That might just be me – but I hate spending the time to get used to something and then have it vanish. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This looks cool, I’m going to try it out.

I haven’t come across the Beam Browser (until now). Thanks for sharing, @fuzzygel.

I’ve had access to Arc for a few weeks…and am very impressed so far. Among other things, I appreciate the clean interface, the clever ways that tabs/websites can be organized in the sidebar, and how easy it is to get any clutter out of the way so that I focus on a specific tab. It also has some innovative features for assembling components of one or more websites into something that resembles a dashboard.

While I don’t think Arc will replace my main browser (Safari) any time soon, it’s proving to be an excellent secondary browser. I mainly use it for web apps (e.g. Asana, Airtable), website admin, and video streaming services (e.g. Netflix, YouTube).

On a side note, I use an app called OpenIn (available directly from the developer and on Setapp) to direct specific URLs to Arc. For example, if I click on a link related to an Asana task in Mail, the link opens in Arc.

p.s. If you’re interested in seeing Arc in action, Matt Birchler has a great overview.

2 Likes

I really enjoy the videos that Matt shares on his A Better Computer YouTube channel. The content and production are both excellent.

1 Like

I have been using Arc for over a month now, and I am using it as my main browser, and love it.
It has an edge case with URLs that has special characters where it doesn’t work as intended, but overall, it’s a very solid browser.

1 Like

great reminder !! I had a similar app called Bumpr , I had not used it for a while as there is no need. Now there is a good use case for it

I used Choosy for years (which is also great) and have spent some time with Bumpr in the past. OpenIn has proven to be the best fit for me (though it has more of a learning curve than similar apps).

3 Likes

Hit the nail on the head!

I use Brave (Chromium) to ‘create shortcut’ and ‘open as window’ to create site specific browsers for exactly these app uses. Only downside is that you have to have the main browser running but then that’s rarely an issue.

Does Arc do something similar?

Setapp is a neverending trove of useful things. I’ve also been a Choosy user since forever and its never failed me. How does OpenIn improve on that?

1 Like

I’ve used this rather hidden, but very useful feature in Brave. I haven’t encountered anything similar in Arc (or any other browser).

Setapp is a neverending trove of useful things.

Indeed!

I’ve also been a Choosy user since forever and its never failed me. How does OpenIn improve on that?

Choosy is simpler. OpenIn is more complex and configurable. For example, I can associate Zoom links with the Zoom app, avoiding the confirmation dialog that normally appears when I click on a Zoom link. OpenIn can also be used to route mail and call apps (not features that I’m currently using).

p.s. I’ve attached a screenshot of my current setup to give you a taste of OpenIn’s interface and feature set.

2 Likes

I am an Airtable user. What advantage would I have to use Arc for Airtable instead of Safari?

1 Like

I use Safari for general browsing and Arc for web apps like Airtable. I find having two different browsers helpful. Among other things, I don’t need to worry about accidentally closing down, for example, the Airtable tab when doing research in Safari.

I find Arc’s minimalist interface is well suited to web apps. I can press ⌘S to dismiss the sidebar, focusing my attention on the current tab with no visual distractions.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll have to give Arc (and Openin) a try. I’ve never considered using a separate browser for Airtable, etc.

You’re welcome, @neonate. Before Arc came along, I used a combination of Safari and Brave. That also worked well.

2 Likes

Huh I never knew there was an app to tell some URLs to open in a different browser, and 3 (THREE!) have been mentioned in this thread! I make Google apps play in Firefox by themselves and I am forever right clicking, open in… or getting error messages because I forgot to do that and am not logged in on Safari.

This forum is a treasure trove :joy:

4 Likes

Now four …

Velja

I’ve not used it and just discovered it today. I have used Choosy in the past.

5 Likes

the 5th and 6th

both from the OpenIn page, the developer has an interesting section - “Not sure about OpenIn, could you recommend alternatives?”

I am trialing Openin now as it is more powerful and has custom scripting features, not that I need it

1 Like

Interesting thread. I have recently started using sigmaos whilst I wait for my arc invite.

What’s great about sigma is it has 1 key hotkeys such as D for Done and has a side bar with vertical tabs that you dismiss easily. Similar to @timstringer i find it great to use this kind of browser for web apps and also use brave and choosy to differentiate. Certain apps like slack and figma deserve their own app but I do find more and more can just live in sigma.

1 Like

Do any of these browser-selector apps like OpenIn let you pick the browser when clicking on a link while in another browser? For example, clicking a link in Safari and getting an option to open it in Brave? When I tried Velja and Choosy in the past, you couldn’t do this, which defeats 95% of the use cases for me.

1 Like

Also interesting, SigmaOS workspaces can be configured so that they use a different cookie set, so you can separate instances of the same webpage for personal and work use with G Suite for example.