Very interesting new browser

Thanks for confirming. Arc being a chromium-based browser I’d have expected it to have it since I think I’ve seen it on Chrome as well.

Installed it recently and I noticed the same. I’ll have to make some time to play with the power features!

Very useful thank you! I’m going to see if I can get it to work with those site specific browsers in Brave that I mentioned. It’ll be great if it works.

Though isn’t that second Asana rule redundant with the wildcard or am I missing something?

@pendolino — To clarify, I’m not sure whether Arc supports site-specific browsers. It’s just not something I’ve come across (or gone looking for). Arc has its own, simplified set of preferences. There may be a way to get to the standard Chromium settings, but it’s not something that’s immediately obvious.

Installed it recently and I noticed the same. I’ll have to make some time to play with the power features!

I hope you find the power features in OpenIn helpful!

I’m going to see if I can get it to work with those site specific browsers in Brave that I mentioned. It’ll be great if it works.

I’m not sure if OpenIn can reference site-specific browsers created in an app like Brave. I’d be curious to hear if this works.

Though isn’t that second Asana rule redundant with the wildcard or am I missing something?

I could probably get rid of that second rule. When I set this up, I think I may have been experimenting with using my secondary browser (now Arc) for the Asana web app, keeping my default browser (Safari) for things like the Asana website and forum. I could go back to this behaviour by removing the line with the wildcard.

Number 7: BetterTouchTool

https://docs.folivora.ai/docs/1003_did_open_url.html

Though for me this broke 1Password’s browser integration, so maybe I should try some of the alternatives suggested here.

1 Like

Yes I think so. I’ve downloaded Choosy to try and it has a prompt function that asks you what browser you’d like to open a link in, even if you’re in a browser already (I’ve disabled it because I don’t need it). Choosy has a 40+ day trial if you want to give it a go and see if it meets your needs: https://choosy.app

Since (for now at least) I only need a rule that opens all google links in Firefox, and points everything else to Safari, I’ve set up two rules that just tell Choosy to go ahead and do that without asking me.

You’ve not asked, but for interest the menu is very simple, and you can even tweak how the prompt you’re asking about would look, here are the menu options for the prompt:

1 Like

I finally received the invite and downloaded Arc immediately. Installed on the 14" M1 mbp with no issue, imported bookmarks and extensions from Chrome without any hiccups. However, the extensions were not synced across to M1 Mac Mini

I added Arc Browser to OpenIn but when Openin opens a new Window instead of another tab on Arc, just wondering any setting in Openin that I may have missed

CleanShot 2022-09-14 at 09.18.06

Similarly, right click “Open link in new tab” within Arc seems no response

So I managed to test OpenIn with the Brave SSBs and it just opens them but will not go the page linked. Only opens the homepage FYI.

Thanks for the heads up, @pendolino. Good to know!

1 Like

Great that you received your invite, @fuzzygel.

Installed on the 14" M1 mbp with no issue, imported bookmarks and extensions from Chrome without any hiccups. However, the extensions were not synced across to M1 Mac Mini

Good to hear that the installation went smoothly. I’m currently only using Arc on one of my Macs, so I can’t comment on the syncing of extensions.

I added Arc Browser to OpenIn but when Openin opens a new Window instead of another tab on Arc, just wondering any setting in Openin that I may have missed

Try disabling the “Open Little Arc…” preference. I expect that doing so will give you the behaviour that you want/expect.

thanks, you are absolutely right, it is working now. Arc is such a ‘unconventional’ browser that there are a lots of things I still need to take time to explore and get used to it, such as

apparently, it opened another tab but on the left side panel so I did not notice it.

thanks, you are absolutely right, it is working now. Arc is such a ‘unconventional’ browser that there are a lots of things I still need to take time to explore and get used to it, such as

Good to hear this did the trick, @fuzzygel. I think Arc’s appeal (to some at least) is that it’s unconventional. I found I got used to using it pretty quickly.

apparently, it opened another tab but on the left side panel so I did not notice it.

I generally like Arc’s horizontal tabs. Among other things, I appreciate that I can read the tab labels clearly, even where I have a lot of open tabs.

I changed my mind and turn back little Arc on again. After using it on my 14" MBP, I found viewing the links from email on little ARC is a very good experience, and I can use CMD+O to bring that back to the main ARC browser. This is a very innovative design. Now I appreciate why there is a thing called little ARC

4 Likes

yes, Arc is now my primary browser. I only use Chrome with my profile when I really have to

1 Like

Arc has some interesting ideas, but overall I imagine I’ll probably go back to Safari. Arc seems like it wants to be an entire operating system in your browser, complete with window management a notes app, a screenshot library, and “Easels”? It kind of reminds me of Mozilla and Netscape Navigator back before Firefox was split out as “just the browser”.

I like the tabs on the side, I don’t like the persistent custom border around the entire window. As far as I can tell there’s no way to export notes you take inside of Arc. I like the “Spaces” idea, but I’d like it better if the spaces were isolated cookie containers, so I could be signed into multiple AWS accounts at once. As a way to organize tabs it’s fine though. I like the idea of persistent tabs vs ephemeral tabs, but I’m not sure I want the browser closing my tabs for me, I might grow to like this feature, but I probably won’t stick with it long enough.

Overall I feel like I already have a solution for multiple windows, a really good text editor, and a way to save screenshots. Finally, I’m not excited about having to sign into the browser, and I wonder how much Arc will cost once it’s out of beta. There’s apparently an entire Browser Company behind it, so they have to make money somehow.

Oh, also the RAM consumption on this seems pretty high, but I only glanced at it briefly. For me, I think I’ll stick with Safari.

4 Likes

Thank you for your evaluation. I like Safari and its Compact Tabs interface. And I trust Safari (Apple). Arc is a new shiny and getting some love in the forum. But I will resist this time. A browser is such a key piece of software that inserts itself between me and the world that I would be silly to give up something that works for me.

1 Like

I have only used it for a few days, but I’m committed to giving it a proper trial for a month. So far I’m really enjoying it.

I agree with this. Apparently they are working on this.

I gave Arc a try for 3-4 days. Surprisingly there are a couple of things I really don’t like about it. It’s hard to put a finger on it, exactly, but here’s my best guess.

First, I find I don’t really like the sidebar. I did just figure out that you can auto-hide it, which makes it better. But I am evidently very used to the tabs-on-top paradigm.

Second, the animation indicating that a page is loading is very subtle and makes it difficult to tell if a page is even loading. Minor annoyance, but it makes it hard to tell if things are slower on Arc, and my perception is that tabs do actually load noticeably slower. Unsure as to why.

Third, tab groups - you move between them by 2-finger swiping left/right. This is a little janky to get used to, but I’m not sure how to better implement it.

I guess after writing that out, I don’t hate it as much as I thought. But if I am going to have to get used to something I need a good reason for it, and I am not really feeling it yet. I have insufficient motivation to make the change. There is nothing so bad about Chrome, nor great about Arc, that I feel compelled to put in the time. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

This is too much for me. Has the infectious nature of note-taking fanaticism seeped into the browser world?

I would love for the developers of Snowhaze on iOS to develop a browser for the Mac that is just a rectangular box that shows web pages with a tiny rectangle at the top that shows tabs. No address or search bar. That’s it. Qutebrowser is close, but I don’t want to consciously install all of its dependencies on my machine.

2 Likes

There are certainly some symptoms of featuritis, that’s for sure. But as a company they need to add features because they are pitting themselves against products that are basically free and good enough for most users.

Simplifying the UI to the bare minimum is also a feature but seems that Arq is not going that way and it’s fine. Though I appreciate that they are betting the house on those features, for me the cognitive dissonance associated with this redefinition of the browser paradigm is also too much!

I quite like the Arc browser, it becomes my daily driver now.

Another feature I like is that any unpinnned web sites will automatically clear out every 12 hours (user adjustable). So everyday, I started with a clean browser

1 Like

Thanks!
I appreciate the screenshots and description!

1 Like