Very interesting new browser

so what do you think about little Arc? Initially, I hated it but got around to loving it. It is very handy for cursory reading of links from email, etc

no need to remember any hotkey , just make sure this option is enabled

On the mobile device, I always default to use Safari, I found that is the best

1 Like

not a competition but I can also provide referral codes if more people are interested

If any referal codes are still available can I request one please?

here you go - enjoy

hey, hereā€™s an invite to Arc, the browser I was telling you about!

1 Like

Thank you, much appreciated!

Arc is looking really interesting.
The only hiccup at the moment is the 1Password extension. I did try the beta. It sorta works, and I can work around it easily enough.

Anywho, they have an onboarding tour with videos, etc. that gives you a pretty good orientation to the features.

I can see how the Easel would be especially useful for people that use resources from the web a lot.

I do not have any issue with the 1password and Arc combination but I am on 1Password for Mac 8.9.10 (80910043) beta, whatā€™s not working for you?

This is the main thing - there is no toolbar :slight_smile:

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 10.05.52 PM

ah I see, I think it is just a matter of time to get used to it.

How do I unlock 1Password in the browser? Are you able to unlock it?
Ah, just found it. Extensions from the menu bar.

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 10.53.27 PM

1 Like

also here

1 Like

I moved fully over to Arc when @fuzzygel kindly gave me the invite 10 days ago and Iā€™m loving it. The Spaces concept is great, I was worried Iā€™d miss tab groups from Safari but spaces is a much better version of that.

Iā€™ve gone all in with the keyboard shortcuts and that makes the experience very slick, hiding the spaces bar with āŒ˜S makes for a really nice full screen view.

Side by side split view tabs has also been great. Iā€™ve not had any use for the Easel feature yet but overall Iā€™m very impressed. I do wonder what the revenue model is though, in terms of it will stick around in the long term.

1 Like

Thanks. Looks like that whole bar is hidden away in developer mode.

Iā€™ve been using Arc for a week now and can confidently say I donā€™t see myself going back to legacy browsers.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the one feature I can think of from the top of my head that made me use Arc as my default browser. I previously used Edge (and for some reason I still do - probably because I still have dozens of tabs open on itā€¦). I also still use Safari from time to time when another browser doesnā€™t seem to work, but tbh, I think it is Safari more often than any other browser that doesnā€™t work on a website.

It actually took me a while to understand the little Arc feature. I just liked how Arc seemed to magically know when I just wanted a quick browser window to look something up and I didnā€™t even understand that it was called ā€œLittle Arcā€.

There are some nuisances too, though. I havenā€™t gotten used to the extensions being hidden away. But accessing them via āŒ˜ + E might become convenient once itā€™s become part if my muscle memory.

The vertical sidebar is what got me to stick to Edge, so Iā€™m happy to have that in Arc.

Another nice little detail is the link-icon in the adress bar that you can click to copy the current url.

Iā€™m also letting Arc archive my older tabs, in the umpteenths attempt to reduce the number of open tabs. Other browsers have extensions for this, but for some reason those never really worked for me (Maybe I was too paranoid to actually let them do their job. Arc, in any case, is doing its job and I have not missed any tab that it removed. I havenā€™t even noticed that it removed any. But I only have a few open nowadays. - Actually, maybe Little Arc is also contributing to this.

As for all the other gimmicks: I havenā€™t even looked at them. Spaces? I havenā€™t used Tab-Groups in Edge consistently. Notes? I use Obsidian and donā€™t use anything else. Someone mentioned that it also has a Calendar? I have no idea why, and I feel no urge to exploreā€¦

Than also has one downside, though: when I watch an embedded youtube video on some website and click on the link to see on youtube, I get the same video play twice with a couple of seconds difference between themā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve really wanted to like it, but I keep going back to Firefox because the sidebar canā€™t hold a candle to the Tree Style Tab extension. Iā€™ve tried several times to work in Arc, but every time I start really getting into a project, I discover that I miss (1) the tree structure of the tabs I open, which helps me keep track of where different tabs originated and how theyā€™re related; and (2) the sheer vertical density I can attain with TST compared to Arcā€™s list (I can see twice as many open tabs without scrolling using TST compared to Arc).

Solve those two problems, and I think Iā€™d finally be torn away from Firefox as my daily driver, because the rest of Arc is awesome! (It doesnā€™t work with the pre-subscription 1Password plugin, but Iā€™d probably be willing to work around thatā€¦clunkily.)

Oh, why did I never even think about this kind of functionality? Now that you mention it, I can immediately see its usefulness (though that is not the same thing as it actually being usefulā€¦), so I did a quick search and found that the extension (and several similar ones) seem to be available for chrome (and hence for Arc):

Is that it? Will have to test it later when I have time.

Speaking of Tree Style vertical tabs extensionsā€¦ is there anyone that syncs the state of the tab tree and grouping through browsers across machines? I find it kind of limiting that my ā€œcuratedā€ tab tree on my work computer do not sync to my home computer when I am working from home.

Iā€™ve not used the Chrome one, just the original Tree Style Tab for Firefox. Iā€™ve looked several times for a performant equivalent in Chrome and have yet to find oneā€”which is actually the main reason I remain primarily a Firefox user. Iā€™d be interested to hear what you think of the Chrome TST extension, though.