Very interesting new browser

I want to share that I run into a few issues with Arc Browser in the last couple of weeks. The issues involved are all related to accessing some sites (mostly financial institutitions) using https . The symptons are not able to log in successfully ( I switched back to Chrome and no issue there), incorrect display, etc

I am not sure exactly what is the issue but I have provided feedback from the browser itself. Due to holidays, I have not seen any update yet

My suggestion is NOT to use Arc Browser (at least for the time being) for sensitive and critical log in requiring high degree of security

Hopping in here to share my a couple quick thoughts on Arc and updates from the last little bit.

First ā€“ a piece of feedback I hear a lot is that Arc tries to do too much. In a sense, I totally agree ā€“ there are some features, like the Library to manage screenshots and downloads, that I still havenā€™t found a use for. Side-by-side tabs ā€“ I can handle that with regular window management.

Others, though, like Easels ā€“ essentially, note-taking and diagramming in the browser ā€“ Iā€™ve really come around on. I may be using them in an unintended way, but Easels are really powerful. One of the things I havenā€™t seen many people talk about is that you can take ā€œliveā€ screenshots and include them on easels ā€“ essentially, you can resize your browser window to frame a site in a certain way, drag a screenshot of that site, and save it to an easel. You can then make it a ā€œliveā€ screenshot and add it to an Easel, and Arc will remember the window size and shape and the size and location of the area you dragged, and fetch content from that website whenever you load up that Easel. I donā€™t think that makes sense, so maybe best to share an example.

Iā€™ve created an Easel called News, which contains live-updating ā€œportalsā€ in to specific areas of my favourite news sites:

This means that rather than opening a bunch of sites to see whatā€™s new, I can open just this easel and get a quick peak at whatā€™s going on in the world. I can hover over each site to easily jump to the full site, and I can even actually click any article link in those ā€œscreenshotsā€ to open any article directly. Each screenshot actually acts like a whole mini browser window.

You can also share these Easels to non-Arc users (albeit without the screenshots live-updating ā€“ theyā€™re frozen in time outside of Arc), so feel free to take a look: News

The founder of Arc did a bit of a media tour recently that resulted in a couple of good articles, the best of which I believe is this one.

Re: too many features, I think theyā€™re thinking about this and weā€™ll see some reworking of the product this year to simplify things. To quote:

In the same Twitter video, Miller said theyā€™re going to simplify the browser further. ā€œWeā€™re gonna sculpt it down. Weā€™re gonna refine it,ā€ Miller says. ā€œScott Forstall [former head of Apple software design before Tim Cook fired him for the disastrous Apple Maps rollout] gave us some really great feedback. Youā€™ve built a saxophone; musicians love saxophones, but they are really difficult to master, really difficult to figure out. You gotta make Arc into a grand piano now. How can you just walk up to it ā€” no one needs to know how the white and black keys work ā€” you just start poking around and you can end up like Mozart one day.ā€

2 Likes

Does Arc browser have a private browser mode? That can help with some websites until Arc figures out what the problem is.

Should anyone else still waiting for an invite, I just got 5. Hereā€™s the link:

1 Like

that is correct, AFAIK, this is not a security risk, just not able to log in successfully or other weird behaviour

Thank you! Iā€™d just put myself on the waitlist a couple of days ago, too.

1 Like

Haha, sorry. I tend to assume theyā€™re gone already when I read something like that. I shouldā€™ve just messaged you. Your posts are part of what convinced me to check it out.

1 Like

Game theory in action!

Iā€™m still assembling my thoughts. The easels are really fun, though Iā€™m still unsure when it can select a page element and when it has to select an absolutely positioned section of the browserā€™s view. Also, I was hoping to use them to see which Discord servers have unread, but while Discord opens fine in Arc it seems to block easelsā€™ renders. Slack works fine. The whole artistic aspect of easels is going to take this olā€™ philistine some getting used to, but Iā€™ll find a use.

I was also delighted when I logged into hey.com and it asked if I wanted to make Hey my default email app. I use a macOS utility to reroute clicks, so not strictly necessary, but I feel seen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well if youā€™re offering :grinning:

If you have anotherā€¦. I have been waiting on their list for a couple of weeks.

Ty

Many thanks. 12345678

Having used it for two weeks now, Iā€™ve uninstalled Edge.
Very happy with it.
Not having having to have a separate window for every profile, little arc, better handling of pinned tabs are much better.
Never used Safari to any great extent due to itā€™s lack of support / available plugins.

3 Likes

I saw the tweets about a mobile version, hoping for the same flexibility with the profiles - Edge is frustrating with only having two.

Also feel like I should use the Easel more, now Iā€™m all in on it Iā€™ll probably spend some time looking into it more.

Iā€™m still using my Easel to check forums for updates, but the live updates arenā€™t 100% reliable, and the lack of refresh all button is annoying when that happens. Still a time-saver, though.

Same here. been using it about two weeks and havenā€™t used Firefox at all in that time. I am not exploiting its unique features as much as I should, but working on it :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve also found that it works much better with ā€˜Wooshyā€™ than Edge too.

Arc added a great new feature called ā€˜Air Traffic Controlā€™ you can pre-configure which space certain urls (or urls containing words) will open in.

Itā€™s so useful already for me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was happy to see ā€œAir Traffic Controlā€ introduced in Arc! Iā€™m already putting this new feature to good use. I have different spaces/profiles for work and personal and am using ATC to automatically open links in the appropriate space/profile.

p.s. Matt Birchler of A Better Computer shared an great overview of this feature on YouTube.

I much prefer Orion Browser these days, but have to admit the Arc guys are really killing it. This feature is so useful!

2 Likes

The one I just got to trying thatā€™s quite impressive is the Zap tool in their boosts. You can just pick elements on a webpage and hide them. Useful for sites you use to remove unnecessary clutter.

Iā€™ve used it on the web interfaces for messaging apps as well as some common sites I frequent. Really cuts out the clutter