Waiting for my M1 Mac

No updates since 4:37 a.m.

It is now 6:20 p.m.

Just sent a DM to @UPS“Helps” in Twitter, who replied:

Unfortunately, the shipment did not go out for delivery.
Please continue to track your shipment online for updates.

The second sentence was pointless (obviously I was already doing that) and the first sentence was completely aggravating.

It left Anchorage on December 1st and they couldn’t get it here a week later.

Not a whole lot of “Expedited” in this “UPS Worldwide Expedited” delivery, is there?

1 Like

:smiley:

7 Likes

Congrats and enjoy!

At least mine is now in the right state, and should easily arrive at my local distribution hub in plenty of time to go “Out for Delivery” tomorrow morning.

Then the question will be: Will it arrive at the usual time for my UPS Ground deliveries (3/4/5pm) or will they actually try to put some meaning to the word “expedited”?

My guess? After 4pm.

2 Likes

Already moved everything to my M1 MBP, the most important stuff is installed and set up.

First impressions:

• that thing is FAST!
  • I am glad I got the MBP, managed to get it hot and the fan spinning like crazy. I wonder what kind of performance hit the MBA would have because of throttling…
  • Just two TB/USBC ports: got a dock, rewired my desk, not an issue for me.
  • Battery: insane. You get suspicious of the battery indicator. Is it stuck? :smiley:
  • Software: Working. Slight delay when starting Intel apps for the first time, because they get the Rosetta2 treatment.
  • What’s not working 1: Drobo. Piece of trash! Installed Drobo Dashboard, drive mounts, but if I open the drive/folder in Finder I get the beach-ball treatment. Also when connecting with USB. Might look into this later/tomorrow/next week. But I think I will throw that piece of junk out of the window.
  • What’s not working 2: color calibration (X-Rite i1). “No monitor”. Whatever. Will try DisplayCAL or wait for an updated i1Profiler.
  • Not tested yet: scanner…

All in all, I am very happy.

3 Likes

Next impressions:

• it seems, no monitor calibration is possible (internal and external). This makes me mad! Let’s see if an update to DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS fixes it. Or an update from X-Rite…
  • MacTeX seems to be working
  • MacPorts has some issues… Most ports run/compile, but I’m stuck with some…
  • I have all 8 cores chewing through some stuff for the last hours. Fan is spinning… But way more quiet than my previous MBP15. That one sounded like a turbine.

Conclusions:

• Considering I moved from a x86/64 computer to a new CPU (or SoC) architecture, it’s amazing how smoothly it went
  • my biggest gripe: monitor calibration!
1 Like

It seems to actually be in the same general area of the country as me, so I’m hoping this might finally be the day!

3 Likes

That black keyboard and black mouse… :drooling_face:

Arrived about 11:40 a.m. local time.

Started setting it up while I was on a Zoom call and at this point I guess I’m going a clean install because I’ve come this far…

Probably not a bad idea given a processor switch. Most important thing was that I remembered to set iTerm to always launch via Rosetta 2 (which is highly recommended if you use brew right now as it will give you Intel-based brew tools).

Despite all of the reports of great battery life, setting up Dropbox (which isn’t even downloading anything, just indexing for 100% online only files to start) is murdering my battery life. No surprise. I think Dropbox is probably the least efficient application that I use. I suspect it will be fine once it finishes the first run stuff.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m setting up from scratch as well. One thing that bothers me so far is that after 24 hours I still don’t have access to my iCloud Documents folder. The sync settings all seem to be correct, but it doesn’t seem to be happening. Maybe I need to be a bit more patient? It took hours to sort out the Photo Library. I have installed trhe Discourse iPad app, which seems to be working ok. Music sounds a lot better when I send it to the Home Pod.

I succeeded in connecting my Scansnap ix500, but only by deleting Scansnap Home and going back to Scansnap Manager. Go figure.

Haven’t tried Dropbox yet.

2 Likes

That’s odd. I don’t have much in mine but it finished its sync very soon. Have you done a restart?

My least favorite part of iCloud (and why I don’t use it more) is that when it doesn’t work, there’s almost nowhere to look for info about what is wrong or what to do.

3 Likes

Plugging here iCloud status again which has a history feature which can allow for some debugging. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For cross-platform sharing, I am using MS OneDrive now.

iCloud often is weird. If I drag a folder into Dropbox or OneDrive, it’s available in a minute on another machine. Sometimes, when I drag a single file into iCLoud, it takes very long.

I did some rudimentary testing and I found out that iCloud Drive becomes wonky, when a lot of files are stored in there. OneDrive and Dropbox are “snappier” when dealing with a large amount of files.

I had the effect described by @dajashby once. Huge archive in iCloud, not downloading to a new Mac. I just sat it out and all of the sudden (after hours,days), the files appeared.

1 Like

When trading in a device, when does it have to be shipped, within a timeframe of when the order is placed, or when the new device is received?

1 Like

You have 14 days. I think they start counting when you receive the trade-in box.

1 Like

I found that when plugged into ethernet, the download of iCloud files is significantly faster and more reliable (mine was done in less than an hour with 250GB of files).

1 Like

Is the trade in box sent when you order, or when your new device ships?

In other words, if I trade in my 2015 MBP, will I have to send it in before the new laptop arrives?

When I ordered my new M1, the trade-in kit was not immediately sent out, but with a delay. The M1 was shipped from China, the box from Amsterdam. I guess they timed the stuff to arrive at the same time. I am guessing, but it would make sense.
I got my trade-in kit 2-3 days before the M1, so I had 11 days “overlap”. Before the M1 arrived, I already prepared everything to move to the M1 (get a TB2-TB3 cable). I only needed one day of that overlap and then sent the old one away.

2 Likes

Same here. 200K+ files, 150GB. No problems, either with downloading to new M1 MBA or in ongoing use. Been using iCloud Drive as main driver for several years now without any hiccups.

Also use Google Drive for some of my business use. BE AWARE: Google File Stream does not work with M1 silicon, not even thru Rosetta 2.

OneDrive, I can only assume that long-time users get used to it’s idiosyncrasies, i.e. errors in file names, file name lengths, very high CPU usage when syncing, etc. Like everything else Microsoft, lot’s of features, but usually buggy. But if a person is used to that, it probably doesn’t bother them that much.

1 Like

:grimacing:

1 Like