Watch Series 6 -- Which One Will you Get?

I’m waiting until the new iPhones are announced to see what the color options are there before making the call on the watch.

I am considering it for the health sensors. The 5 would go to a good home, so it wouldn’t be wasted.

Also on a 4 and considering the jump to 6.

Plans for the old 4? If I could sell mine for half the cost of the 6, it would be easy to justify. Looks like that’s what they’re going for on buy-and-sell sites. Apple also offers $170 CAD trade-in value for it, which might be worth it to avoid haggling with strangers. (I wonder how much the 4 will be worth this time next year?)

Edit: It seems that the only major differences are the sensors, the processor, and the always-on display. I thought screen size was bigger or higher res on the S6, but it seems like it’s the same as the S4. Hmm.

When I got my Series 5 I kept the Series 4 for sleep tracking.

1 Like

So what will you do with the S5 when you get the S6? :wink:

1 Like

Out of curiosity, which sites are you checking? It looks like Gazelle isn’t taking watches.

When I moved from the 3 to the 4, it was actually Apple that offered me the best value — but of course that was two years ago.

I’m still not getting the Series 6.

But, hypothetically, if I were to get one I’d probably keep the Series 4 and sell the Series 5. My sleep tracking watch spends all its time in Theater Mode anyway, so the always on display of the Series 5 doesn’t have much benefit.

1 Like

In Canada, Kijiji is my go-to classifieds site. I generally sell stuff there while cross-checking with eBay to make sure prices are fair. I haven’t used brokers like Gazelle. The experience of meeting a stranger at Tim Horton’s is half the fun of selling used stuff, isn’t it?

Related: there are an awful lot of used Apple Watches of all varieties on Kijiji right now, ha.

1 Like

For my daughter, I will get the Watch 6. I own a 5 and really like the always on display. Otherwise I would get the SE which is the “sensible” choice. I think that the oxygen sensor feature is greatly overhyped. One’s oxygen level, unless in dire straits, is boringly and tightly regulated by the body. It does not show interesting variations with exercise etc. The oxygen sensor adds complexity and probably increases the likelihood of malfunction and presumably affects battery life adversely if for no other reason than occupying volume in the watch that would otherwise be available for battery.
The SE is the choice that I would recommend for most people getting a new watch. It is a better value by far. My stubbornness about the always-on display is why I will get the 6 for my daughter. I would be happier about the 6 if it did not have the O2 sensor. If I can find a “new” 5 at the $300 price, I would get that but to date, I have not seen that despite episodes in the past where it was available at that price. And I will get AppleCare. My daughter (who is not particularly reckless) broke her Watch 3 crystal on the last day of her AppleCare warranty. It was replaced at a low price but then died for no obvious reason 8 months later. This experience is not statistically of much interest, but it still affects me.

1 Like

Excuse my seemingly argumentative tone. Oxygen sensors are of little use in people of normal health. Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or asthma or significant cardiac disease can benefit from monitoring oxygen levels. Most physicians, who have access to more accurate devices than those in a watch, do not bother to measure O2 levels in their ‘healthy” patients in the course of a routine physical. The results are not of interest. It is not a test to find occult disease or subtle disease.

In a patient with symptoms of COVID, the results might be of interest but asymptomatic COVID patients probably are not going to have findings of interest. Sleep disorders - apnea - are a setting where O2 values can be useful. One could argue that in that setting a dedicated device would be more appropriate.

The usage scenario in the Apple keynote where a person launches an O2 measurements with a 15 second timer is not of much value in a person without unsubtle lung/heart disease. The body maintains O2 values in a very narrow range in the absence of obvious disease. This range is smaller than the error range of the device. So slightly different readings in different circumstances will generally simply reflect the inherent lack of precision in the device.

3 Likes

So glad I’m not fascinated by Apple Watch to give them more :moneybag::innocent:. But can see both sides to the argument/ support.

I decided to trade in my S3 for the S6 Silver SS. I’m trying to push myself to be more healthy, I think there’s more than enough of a leap in features to justify the upgrade.

My dilemma is that I might end up wearing two watches, I remain too attached to my old school mechanical watch!

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. I think this growing obsession with monitoring an ever increasing range of physiological data is really odd. Apple sells more watches by convincing us that we need this information.

Hi I just want to point out that with watchOS 7 the always-on screen is now always interactive, also when dimmed.
I haven’t noticed any random tap.
I think the watch feels better with this change, faster to interact at all times.
I could not find a setting to change this, but maybe it’s hidden somewhere

1 Like

Whoa! I didn’t think it was doing this last week, but it must have. Not sure if I like this change.

I think your mostly right. But sleep Apnoe is an exeption, because it’s often undiagnosed and it’s hard to get an appointment in a sleep laboratory. So if that watch can detect sleep apnoe, it can do some good.
For an average healthy person that O2 level will always be in the normal range and not be of much interest.
I wouldn’t buy the watch for this feature only. (But I still have series 1 and the new one will be a huge improvement.)

1 Like

I’m curious to see if the solo loop fits for most persons. I didn’t have access to a printer when I first ordered and used the other measurement method. I got a 9, which made me wonder (I don‘t think I have huge wrists). I tried later with the print-out and came to an 8, close to a 7. So I cancelled my order and ordered a new one. I hope it will fit, but there seems to be a lot of room for failure (and frustration if it doesn’t fit).

I’m curious to see some reviews of how forgiving is the fit. I’m curious because I wear the second-smallest notch on the standard band with the 44mm, but my size was a 10. So does that mean I’m doing something weird with the current band, are most people not going to fall much below 10, or are they automatically sizing the solo to which Watch you’re buying, or does almost any size work?

Also, why not let people just tell you how they wear their current watch and which size it is?

And from what I’ve read, if the band isn’t a correct fit, you can’t just return the band but you have to return the watch too. I can see that being very, very frustrating for some purchasers.

1 Like

I ordered the Nike Series 6 GPS, 44mm, Aluminium Silver, Pure Platinum/Black Regular.
So basically a replacement of my Series 3 with same color and band.