WatchOS 7 first impressions

I deleted everything from my series 3 and still didn’t have enough space to install. I ended up having to do a reset and install from scratch.

1 Like

I’ve had the same issue all through the beta season for watch OS.
Found that unpairing the watch and re-pairing was the only way to get it to update the last 2 beta updates.

It really is something Apple should look at

3 Likes

Same on my Series 3 (non-cellular, so only 8 GB).

Had to unpair and pair as a new watch to install watchOS 7.

Note: downloading the firmware to the watch took several hours (I gave up waiting and went to bed; it was ready for installation the next morning).

I now have 2.9 GB free (instead of 1.5 GB before installation).

Looks like Voice Memos.

1 Like

At this point I’m not even sure how it calculates space. I’ve gained ~0.5 GB of data overnight and all it did was sit on the charger. I’ve even deleted some unused stock apps

Anyone else missing the hand washing functionality on a Series 4 or later? I have a series 4 and the hand washing is not showing on the iPhone Watch menu. I am certain I have a Series 4. Not that the hand wash thing is the things I am looking forward to most, but I felt like the update happened a little weird last night and I wonder if something went wrong during the update. I haven’t noticed any other features missing.

Thanks,

Tim

It would show in this menu under hand washing?

I’d just search for it in the field at the very top of the My Watch screen. Getting there directly is not very intuitive:
From My Watch tab in Watch app: Notifications > Handwashing
Edit: I had already enabled it on the Watch (see below). I don’t think you can actually enable it from the Watch app. This seems to only control notifications once enabled on the Watch itself.

You can enable/disable on the Watch itself directly: Settings > Handwashing
(here it is not under Notifications)

1 Like

One other Handwashing related-tip I just stumbled on: Handwashing data is stored in the Health app (under Browse tab > Other Data; or, again, just use the Search field at the top).

It gives you the date and time of each “session” and aggregates counts and average time when looking at day/week/month/year views. Nifty.

1 Like

Using the search at the top of the menu did it. Thanks @khit!

Tim

1 Like

Hmm, I thought Sound Recognition was iOS and iPadOS only. I tried turning it on in iOS but it didn’t seem to enable the mystery Control Center button.

Wow that is some super nerdy goodness :nerd_face::raised_hands:

I dig how they’ve innovated within existing hardware/software to adapt to real world changes. Very cool.

Mystery solved! I’ve been customizing Control Center on my iPhone tonight since there are some new features. The same icon appears there as well, but with a helpful label:

The button isn’t enabled on either Watch or iPhone unless you have AirPods connected. Then it allows you to pause message announcements until the next day (or unpause if they’re already paused).

4 Likes

Same issue re required space to update a series 3. I had to do a complete reset and repair of the watch too. This is not a good customer experience

Same boat as I am on Series 3. Deleted all my 3rd party apps and made sure no podcast or music is store on my Watch and still don’t have enough space.

So much hassle to restore and install again. This is really bad experience.

Hmm, I’ve never had that happen on 13 or 14.

Now, turning on Sound Recognition, which we were guessing might be the icon earlier, does disable Hey Siri but I’ve never heard Announce would.

Separate WatchOS 14 topic: definitely noticing decreased battery life as reported during the betas. After 13 hrs (including a 1 hr run), I’m at 20% where on similar days on 13, I’d end the day with more than 40%.

I’m OK with that for increased complication update frequency but it might cut it close on those realllly long days…

I updated a couple of days ago and am currently seeing very poor batter life on my watch (Series 4, cellular, 40mm).

Before updating two days ago it would last a full 16 hour day and typically have around 30% battery remaining.

Since updating it runs flat in under 12 hours and that’s without hand washing alerts enabled, which reportedly are a source of battery drain.

Looking at the Apple forums it seems that many are having a similar experience. Hoping it will settle down or there will be bug fix release soon. In the meantime if anyone has found any mitigations that don’t require crippling the watch’s functionality then please do share.

My watch is a 44mm series 4 with 4G and so far the battery life does not seem to have been affected by upgrading to watchOS 7 (and now hoping that writing this is not tempting fate). I took my watch off charge yesterday (Friday) around 07:00 and it was fully charged. I fell asleep with my watch on and only took it of to charge it at 12:30 today (Saturday) and it had 19% left in the battery.

Reddit suggests that it’s the “announce messages” feature.
I have yet to get the icon to change when I put my AirPods in but… that could be due to settings.

From my experiment, the AirPods will typically pair to your iPhone first. Switch (pair) them to the Watch and the button in Control Center should enable. You can pair them to the Watch from CC via the AirPlay button.

On battery drain, here are my specs: updated to 14 on day 1, Series 5 cellular (but I don’t have a data plan enabled for it).