Welcome to MPU Talk

Well Boring as i may be , since the move this is my 3rd visit since - on FB i visited at least twice a day - its just added to my stops which i was trying to reduce, hey ho

Thank you for getting away from Facebook. Ive been a long time listener to MPU, but don’t use FB. Glad to see the decision was made to move away from it.

Cheers

5 Likes

i really enjoy interacting on this forum - even as opposed to some podcasts who use reddit [which i like] for comments

the backend discourse just makes it more managable

4 Likes

Very nice to have one less reason to visit Facebook.

1 Like

Congratulations on the move off Facebook!

Look forward to being part of MPU talk now that Facebook is no longer used.

4 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I feel that I’m seeing a distinct lag in notifications from talk.mpu about replies etc on the site.

The notifications will be there if I go to the site, but I have to wait a certain amount of time for the email to show up… more than just the normal email lag… Is there a way to fix this?

Email only sends when it hasn’t seen you in X time - this is to avoid spamming you with emails when you’re browsing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Alright thanks Rose. Maybe talk.mpu should be my first and only pinned tab in Safari.

There is no way for Safari to alert me about new notifications on the site, right?

So the only way to get notifications from the site (replies and such) are delayed emails?

I don’t get any notifications through the Discourse app either…

My Safari definitely does alert me - if the window is open. The trick is to have the window open and get something that would trigger a notification and then you can allow it.

1 Like

are we talking about Notification Center on the Mac here? Because those would be really handy with talk.mpu. How do I set that up? I don’t see any automatic notification request coming in form the site

Click on your image in the top right > Settings > Preferencss > Notifications > Enable

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Discourse iOS update

I have managed to stay away from Facebook since a FarmVille addiction.:nerd_face:So glad you guys have this forum! Thanks!

1 Like

It’s good to be here.

They let anyone in, apparently. Look at us! :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Hi folks! I’m happy to be here and hopefully participate in future discussions. I’ve been an Apple user since 2011 and have no regrets so far. Many years ago, I bought a Windows Vista laptop from Dell. It began to break down after only a year of use. Windows Vista was the last straw. I switched to Mac and never looked back. Again, I’m very happy to be here. I can’t wait to talk with other members! :wave: :smile:

6 Likes

Welcome @anon78316750! My Mac usage dates about to the same time as you. I was happy with Windows XP but I needed to upgrade my PC hardware and I heard nothing good about Vista. I thought to myself, well, if I’m going to have to switch operating systems anyway, I might as well go to one people actually like. I’d been reading interesting things about MacOS on Lifehacker and Merlin Mann’s blog and I thought, why not.

Big leap of faith spending $1,500+, but it was a great decision.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Windows Vista seemed very appealing at first (especially in comparison to Windows 2000 and even Windows XP). It introduced a redesign and had a ton of new features, but the numerous issues turned me off. I eventually caved in though. Massive regrets! I should’ve waited for SP2! Microsoft was too late.

The Mojave Experiment wasn’t enough to convince me.

I had an anti-glare MacBook Pro with silver bezels.

5 Likes

Yeah, I bought a Dell and first week a pixel broke and left with with what looked like a period on my screen for the rest of its life. Which wasn’t that long with me frankly. No warranty or anything on it. I don’t normally come on here to whine about other companies but the Apple move was worth it to me.

Does the technology in question have to be Mac related? Thanks in advance.