What Accessories needed for powering/recharging iPhone, iPad and MBP in England?

I’m traveling from California to London UK for 2-3 weeks. I’ve not been for 5+ years. I have family business to attend and will need to keep working. iPhone SE 2020, iPad mini and Last generation MBP are coming with me and will be used daily for communications and work work.

What accessories do you recommend to handle internet connectivity and voltage differentials? What others things do I need to keep in mind?

I look forward to hearing from a few of you. Cheers! Neil.

I use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerPort-Family-Sized-Technology-Smartphones-Black/dp/B00PK1IIJY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=anker+multi+usb+charger&qid=1657540549&sr=8-3 with a plug adapter, whether I travel to Europe or the US. I’m sure that if you have a lot of USB C devices and don’t have USB C to USB A cables, then the Minix https://www.amazon.co.uk/MINIX-Universal-Charging-Delivery-Technology-Black/dp/B08CB22NT3/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3H6LO99U3HJAD&keywords=Minix+multi+usb+charger&qid=1657540737&sprefix=minix+multi+usb+charger%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-10 will work.

Then you only need one plug adapter and you can charge up to 6 devices.

I’m not sure why you’d need anything for Internet access. Wi-Fi works the same over here, unsure about Cellular, you’ll need to check that.

1 Like

We drive on the left and drink tea.

4 Likes

I travel with a single adapter that plugs in a wall, and a power strip that I can plug my stuff into usually. Check it is all 100-250V.

This year though, I brought one section of my Scosche BaseLynx Wireless Charging Pad, along with aUK style cable, and this worked beautifully.

I just got back from a two-week trip to the UK a few days ago. It went pretty smoothly, tech-wise.

Everything of mine either used USB power or already supported both US and UK voltages. I use this Anker cube for charging devices and powering my CPAP machine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R6TP9YR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . All I needed was one of these adapters to plug it into the wall: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0080R95XI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

For cellular service, my family ordered SIM cards ahead of time from https://www.giffgaff.com/ and activated them when we arrived un the UK.

I used Apple Pay on my watch and iPhone to pay at every store and restaurant. Only one convenience store required a minimum purchase amount.

I hate Tea, it just tastes horrid!

Co-sign on GiffGaff, reasonable pricing with no contract.

:astonished:. I’m afraid I’ll have to ask you to surrender your passport. :grin:

1 Like

In the UK Apple Pay works on the same system as contactless card payments. If somewhere accepts contactless payments then they will also accept Apple Pay. There could be exceptions to this but I have not encountered this while using Apple Pay for the last few years.

As @rbender mentioned pretty much everywhere accepts Apple Pay through the contactless system. I very rarely carry cash and pay for pretty much everything through Apple Pay. During the COVID lockdowns most companies began accepting contactless payments without a minimum payment. There will always be exceptions to this (as well as some places that prefer cash for small payments), however, more and more places now accept contactless/Apple Pay for any amount. You can even use it to buy tickets in public buses.

1 Like

:exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

If you ever tasted the (so called) „coffee“, they serve in England, you would probably also stay with that stuff, they call „tea“.

I live in England and used to drink Coffee. Perfectly good, great from some places.

I do miss my morning cuppa

3 Likes

Yes that’s why I had to stop buying it from Lidl and Aldi and get some gold old Nescafe Gold from Tescos.

1 Like

Minix Neo P1, P2, or P3 from AliExpress or Amazon with the world travel adaptor kit is my goto recommendation.

1 Like

I use one from this company, since more than 20years for my duty and vacation trips.

Travelling anywhere I’d suggest using a VPN. I don’t know where you’re staying, but some London hotels have excellent, free or cheap WiFi, others exorbitantly expensive rubbish. Get an unlimited 4G plan and use your phone as a hot spot.

I’m very much in the Ted Lasso train of thought on Tea

I thought this was illegal in the UK, but it turns out we made charging to pay by card illegal. However, card providers prohibit setting a minimum limit.

iPhone should travel to the UK without issue - I spent my honeymoon in Hawaii and my iPhone worked perfectly as it covers the radio spectrum we use here.

GiffGaff is a decent firm, there’s also Smarty who do no contract deals. Unlimited data is cheaper than GiffGaff as well. I’ve used them in the past in a 4G router for wifi in an area where we couldn’t get a phone line.

I am currently in Ireland traveling with seven individuals ages 17-23. I bought three of these from Amazon a few weeks before our trip so that everyone would have their own charger. So far they are working great. Very reasonably priced as well.

There is free WiFi available most everywhere. I use those that are identifiable, e.g. hotel, coffee shop, etc. Use a VPN for a bit of safety. No need IMHO to get a local SIM unless you are planning a receive lot of phone calls. Use FaceTime/WhatsApp for voice on Wifi. 5g in big cities, 4g most everywhere else. Some 3g in rural. Can buy inexpensive plug adapters at airport. You Apple chargers will work.