What Case Do You Use On Your iPhone?

I’m starting to work on a blog post about cases and wondered how many of us use them?

Personally I use it just when I’m out and about on my iPhone X. Currently using the bright orange leather Apple one. On my jet black 7 I didn’t use one but X feels a little more slippery.

1 Like

I use something along the lines of this (attached) red with a glass backing. If I drop my phone it’s protected but the case will break :iphone:

Red_0996a574-9181-49dc-8bb6-ee04175cfb55_1024x1024

1 Like

iphone 6s user, and mine is still in a case. Right now I have a pocket stuck behind my case to put my bus and house cards, since women’s pants tends to not have pockets…

On the protection side though, yup… I drop my phone pretty often these days, just dropped it from waist height this morning. I’ve never had a really hard fall on my phones though, not a single cracked screen thus far!

I’m using a thin soft silicon case. Got it off kickstarter for backing a screen protector. Have to say that it’s worth it though! Been using the screen protector since day one and only recently did it aquire a few scratches. And the case is indeed thinner than other cheap cases I’ve seen on the market. Only downside is that these stuff yellow fast though. :frowning:

1 Like

I have an 8+ and use the Apple leather case on it. I drop it multiple times a day and so far the leather has protected it well.

1 Like

Great tread! I changed the post title a little to encourage other people to contribute.

I use to go ceaseless, but with the iPhone 6 and 7 the phone was a little too slippery and I feared dropping it so I went with the Apple Leather Case. It was really nice, but I did miss seeing the iPhone.

For the iPhone X I really wanted to go caseless again, but the phone was just a little too slippery and given the cost of Glass replacement I decided to get a case. I tried a few and was never happy until I found this very minamiist clear case. Adds minimal bulk, but helps with grip and allows me to see the beauty of my iPhone X. Very happy and will be looking for similar cases in the future for my phones:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0743577RN?tag=klf-20

2 Likes

I go the whole hog - Otterbox Defender and a screen protector. Too much chance of it getting bashed otherwise. No available pockets on my work clothes so the belt clip is also useful.

4 Likes

I’m a fan of the Spiegen cases, putting function ahead of form.

4 Likes

I’m using the Spigen Liquid Air Armor for my iPhone 8+ and like it a lot. It’s sturdy, souple and thin enough at the same time.

Here’s the link to Spigen’s website: https://www.spigen.com/products/iphone-8-plus-case-liquid-air-armor

And yes, I’ve also installed a screen protector too.

1 Like

I’ve been using an Otterbox Commuter with my iPhone 6 Plus. I like the protection and size, but I’m concerned that it’s causing my iPhone to get really hot.

1 Like

Are use an OtterBox commuter on my iPhone 8. It’s a bit big and bulky but protects my phone. I’ve dropped it multiple times and never had a problem.

The only time I have broken my phone was when I had a day without the case. I was cleaning it and hadn’t put the case back on… dropped it and broke the Screen. Lesson learned

2 Likes

My X begrudgingly wears an Apple silicone case (some flavor of gray, which doesn’t currently seem to be available in the US store). It was naked for its first few months of life then the screen cracked when a store clerk grabbed it to scan my barcode, subsequently dropping it less than 12” on the counter. One of those situations where it landed on the corner just right because it had survived worse drops with zero damage prior. Thank goodness for AppleCare (upgrade program) but yeah now encased.

1 Like

I’ve got an 8+ and use a series of cases based on what I’m doing. My everyday is a used Saddle Brown Apple Leather case. I didn’t want to wait for that nice, dark patina, so I bought a used one off eBay and love it.

If I’m doing anything involving me holding my phone for extended periods of time, I use the dBrand Grip case.

Finally, if I’ll be outdoors or at a camp with our students, I’ll use this tech21 Evo Tactical Extreme case.

1 Like

My iPhone 8 has worn a Spigen Neo Hybrid Herringbone since the moment I got it. My 6s had an Otterbox Commuter which, by the end of its two years (a little less, actually) had sacrificed a corner to one-too-many concrete impacts (no damage to the phone though!)

The Spigen has held up well and I’d buy another in a heartbeat.

I’ve disliked screen protectors since I had them on my Android devices so my iPhones have never had them. Not sure if it’s because I was buying cheap, or the materials and I just don’t agree.

1 Like

I’ve always used an Otterbox Defender for every iPhone I’ve had. Currently using it with my iPhone 8. Survives being dropped in the mud, stepped on by sheep and slimed during lambing. I carry it and a David Allen Co Notetaker wallet (since discontinued) in a belt pouch I made for myself. Leatherman tool on the other side to balance the weight. In fact I’m looking for a replacement Leatherman right now. I destroyed my current one cutting a lamb out of an electric net that has steel wires in it. Saved the lamb, destroyed 2 nets and my Leatherman though. Sheep happens.

3 Likes

I have used Sena cases for the last four or five generations of iPhones. I love the look and feel of the iPhone so much—and we all know how much time and energy is spent on that design—that I can’t justify using it in any way but naked.

The Sena cases I use are leather pouches with a microfiber lining. Thin and snug. And, they wear beautifully—showing distress over time like good leather does.

1 Like

I’ve used Apple Leather cases in the past, but switched to Apple Silicone last year. I carried my original ‘07 iPhone for 4 years w/o a case and would prefer not to use one. But until Apple stops putting pretty above practical I need something to improve the grip.

1 Like

Urban Armor Gearimage

https://urbanarmorgear.com/collections/iphone-se-5-5s?int=ob-hmpg-v1-case-selector-24

The sides were a little slippery for my tase so I use two little strips of self adhesive anti-slip material on the sides of the case.

I have also used the iFrogz super minamalist cases.

I have never used a screen protector on any Apple device - iPod Touch? iPhone, or iPad.

Pro tip: If you use a case you can fold a $20 bill and put it underneath the iPhone for emergency use.

3 Likes

My iPhone 7 is generally naked. I’ll stick it in a Moment battery case if I want to use my Moment lenses or when I’m traveling and think I’ll need some extra juice.

1 Like

iPhone 7 Plus. I go commando!

1 Like

Thick, clear case on my iPhoneX by Speck:

1 Like