What is the best thing about Mozilla Firefox?

I think their current logo already has Big Sur vibe? but I also thought that the previous DEVONthink logo already has Big Sur vibe, so I might be objectively wrong.

Did they post the refusal somewhere? I am interested to read that. What I know is they posted a response to short internet meme about their “new logo”:

on other story. Before I read that post, I always thought that previous Firefox logos depicts phoenix, instead of fox facing earth. The fox’s snout and right ear (circled in green, below) resemble phoenix beak, and the left ear resembles left wing :rofl:

Marked up Firefox logos like phoenix

Big Sur icons are supposed to be inscribed into a roundrect as on iOS, which is not the case at the moment.

1 Like

Same here! I only realized it was a fox a few years ago, and also thought it was a phoenix, but not because I noticed that feature. I just had a vague mental impression of the logo, for the same reason I’m a poor visual artist, and because of the original Phoenix project name.

1 Like

I suppose you guys know Firefox used to be a Firebird eons ago and was rebranded due to a copyright conflict? :smiley:

1 Like

I do! It was called Phoenix before Firebird, though.

1 Like

Yes, absolutely!
Oh, the breakup of Netscape and this amazing new browser coming out in beta. Those were the days. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I didn’t. but today I learned, thanks!
I think because I see Firefox icon from the Windows days. Icon was small and alt+tab don’t show the icon in bigger version so I cannot see the snout details. Then the assumed knowledge continued up until reading that article.

I see…
Thanks to Apple for not forcing the roundrect shape on macOS, designing new icon takes time. It’s better to see variety in shape rather than original logo on top of white roundrect layer like in android—and the new Chrome logo.

1 Like

You can fix that yourself:

Problem with that is, most apps will need the icon reinstated after an update. Can be tedious, unless there’s an automation somewhere?

Indeed.

I created a script to several icons, including for Firefox, but it’s still a manual action to execute that.

1 Like

It’s open-source and has a ton of extensions.

They should’ve changed their other products accordingly.

Thunderbird > Thunderfox
Sunbird > Sunfox

They didn’t put the logo in a box.

Interesting note with Firefox: It seems to do delta updates, and the icon swap I did for Big Sur is maintained between updates. YMMV, but I only had to swap out the icon once. :blush:

2 Likes

Oh, thanks for letting us know! :+1:

Firefox used to be my main browser because of its customizability and privacy features. But since the company became SJW, I can no longer trust it with my data. I am using Brave now, can use Chrome extension and even the development is faster.

But since the company became SJW, I can no longer trust it with my data.

Maybe I should refrain from asking for an additional explanation but

• I don’t see how or when the company “became SJW” (didn’t that expression die years ago, by the way?)
  • How both parts relate together? In my candidness, I would believe a company that would stand for individual rights (which is what I understand from the acronym) would pay more attention to personal data, and indeed it seems that they have always been on the vanguard of privacy?

I humbly do not understand that statement :sweat_smile:

The term is sadly very actual. The acronym defines actions that go against individual rights. Companies who buy into such cult-like beliefs feel entitled to arbitrarily decide who may be on the given platform or use its services. That is a big red flag when it concerns privacy oriented apps or services.

May I ask for one (or rather a few) examples of the Mozilla foundation buying in such a « cult »?

e. g. We need more than deplatforming - The Mozilla Blog It went on for years but since BLM riots, Mozilla went to overdrive and I went to Brave.

I found Bookmacster difficult impossible to configure. I’m thinking a separate bookmark app, like Raindrop.io, might be the way to go for multi-browser users. Don’t even bother with the browsers’ native bookmarking.