Then:

• Alfred
  • Things
  • Airmail
  • Fantastical
  • 1Password 7
1 Like

Alfred

Since 27. Jan 2018, Alfred has been used 7.378 times. Average 49.2 times per day.

3 Likes

Wow - Way to go!!!

Since Oct 6, 2017, Alfred has been used 4,323 times. Average 16.4 times per day.

I’ve been using Alfred much longer but there’s been a few different installs, etc.

I agree wholeheartedly with Speedscript. It was one of the few apps I’ve ever used that I probably knew and used every function it had. I remember keying it in too - line after line of hex codes out of Compute! magazine. That always made it feel like I “created” it.

More recently, 1Password is probably my favourite app, along with Roboform in my pre-Mac days on Windows. Before them, I used the same password everywhere.

Yeah same for me. January 2018 was my completeley fresh macOS installation. I’m using Alfred since 2012.

The biggest time saver for me as a non-native English speaker is a dictionary workflow. Whenever I’m not 100% sure about the meaning of a word, I’ll quickly trigger Alfred with d <word> to look up the German/English translation on dict.cc.

Also opening project folders, launching apps and moving files, by triggering the file action command, then m (for move) and picking the folder by just typing its name are such time savers.

3 Likes

My favorite app of all time has to be the old Oscar the Grouch trash can thingy.

3 Likes

Hmm… Kinda hard to pick. I would have said Evernote… But then there are so many other possible replacements.

So my favourite app goes to Alfred! I discovered it early on. Tried quicksilver as well but Alfred was the one I ultimately settled on. Launchpad? What’s that? Applications folder? Hardly ever use it. Alfred is pretty much the only way I launch apps not on my dock. The numerous features are great too, though these days I use my mac more for entertainment and less for hard-core work, and the most I use Alfred for is probably the iTunes shortcuts. Considering that Alfred popped into my mind immediately, I guess it would have to be it!

1 Like

For me, it would be, for want of a better term, the command line. Be it a Windows command prompt, a Mac/Linux/Unix terminal, or a
ZOS mainframe session. My first was on a computer known as a ZX Spectrum 48k which had rubber keys and it was at its command line that I taught myself to program. I’ve been using the command line to solve problems ever since :heart_eyes:

I do miss having a proper command line on iOS.

4 Likes

If I can expand mine to a Top 5…

• I’d also have to include FileMaker, even though it’s been a while since I’ve really done much with it but continue to use a solution I developed years ago
  • BBEdit has got to be in there somewhere.
  • Keyboard Maestro, yup.
  • OmniFocus, certainly.
  • And I’ll give an honorable mention to Daylite, which I have a love-hate relationship with. It’s really overkill for my needs, but despite all the contenders that have come and gone over the years, no one else has ever managed to make a real power-user address book. (BusyContacts ain’t it!)
1 Like

You just reminded me about MacPuke. Many thanks!!

3 Likes

Right now it’s Trello. I get so much use out of that app.

You just reminded me of Talking Moose - which would wake up and berate you if you stopped typing or moving the mouse.

1 Like

I’ve used Logos and like it, but for my money Accordance 12 is an amazing Bible app.

1 Like

On the mac, it would have to be Graphisoft Archicad. As David says “it’s how I pay for my shoes”. While it’s cross platform now it was originally developed for the Mac. There’s a great story about Steve Jobs and the developer https://blog.graphisoftus.com/graphisoft/why-did-graphisoft-immortalize-steve-jobs

I’ve just purchased Soulver - it’s very cool and I’m sure I’ll get lots of use from it.
One quick question - if you don’t mind - I’m trying to produce a continuous calculation page which should add all the values into a final total. How do I assign a variable in the sheet without the value being added to the total? Can I comment it out somehow?

1Password is my favorite app hands down. I use 1Password every day multiple times an hour.

As a web designer and developer, I’m constantly logging in to multiple sites, services, and apps. I have a family plan with all four family members using it, and we use it at work with a team plan. My life would be miserable without it.

You just reminded me of a rather naughty utility my graduate mentor installed on the lab Macs that made a rather, um, erotic sound whenever you inserted a floppy.

Alfred, but only because I can open it, type wp, and it will launch Wordperfect 5.1 in a DOS emulator.

3 Likes

How about Agenda? I heard good things about this app. Does anyone have an opinion?

My favorite app is Sublime Text on macOS (and before that, on Linux and Windows). Before Atom and VS Code, it was the first really modern text editor. It is blazing fast and powerful and I still prefer it over its competitors.

It is the only app with an icon on my dock that stays open all day long. I use it for writing, note-taking, emails, everything.

I am trying to migrate my non-work writing over to the iPad and I miss Sublime Text so, so much.

2 Likes