What’s the best personal finance software for Mac that syncs well with an iOS device?

Hello Friends…What’s the best personal finance software for Mac that syncs well with an iOS device? I’m looking for something that I can keep on my Mac (M1 MBP) while being able to add transactions from my iPhone. Thanks!

1 Like

YNAB hands down.

11 Likes

YNAB only if you care about budgeting and nothing else. Also it’s a web app with a subscription. I used the old electron version years ago, but I outgrew it fairly quickly.

The best is still probably Banktivity for all around finance. Stocks, loans, lots of reports, etc. The closest to Quicken when it was still a good program. The problem with it is they recently went subscription based, which I am fine with, but they didn’t handle it very well. I would have to pay extra for one feature I want, that includes a bunch of stuff I didn’t want, so I chose to quit using the program after 5 years. For some people it’s still a great fit though, just not for me.

I just do everything in Excel now. IPad app is great for data entry.

4 Likes

YNAB, or Finances, I ultimately went back to Finances because of the multi currency support, but I can see the advantage of YNAB for most people!

3 Likes

YNAB gives you a philosophy, which is based on the envelope system.
It worked really well for me while I used it.
When I stopped, things went sideways, so that’s some empirical data for you :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

YNAB. I dislike the fact that it’s a (slow) website on Mac but the method is amazing. I started using it three years ago and I’ve saved considerably thanks to it.

4 Likes

I’m a fan of YNAB for budgeting, but I also track on GNUCash on the Mac (that doesn’t have an iOS counterpart).

I have previously used Moneywiz and found it to be excellent - however, when I discovered the envelope budgeting system, I moved to YNAB. I think the newest version is subscription ($20 a year, $50 if you want bank syncing), where as the previous version was a single one off payment.

1 Like

The thing with YNAB, it’s incredibly easy to do it with a spreadsheet. They are selling a philosophy with bad software. Before it was a bad election app, now it’s a bad web app (I hate web apps), so it actually got worse.

2 Likes

If you do go for YNAB, the unofficial YNAB toolkit is handy. It brings a lot of tweaks that aren’t possible normally and it provides some extras charts as well if you want charts.

4 Likes

YNAB is $12 a month or $84 a year.

1 Like

I’ll second MoneyWiz.

1 Like

+1 on the Banktivity recommendation. I moved to it from MoneyWell some time ago. Excellent software, IMO for multiple account financial tracking, including linking to investment accounts, credit card accounts, etc.

FWIW, I do not use the budgeting features

1 Like

+1 for Moneywiz. Used it for 8 years, reliable and great support. On Setapp too.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to Moneywiz, not YNAB.

1 Like

I have used MoneyWiz for a very long time. The Mac version is now a Catalyst app, but they are always working on it. The iOS versions are great as is the sync. Yes…subscription…I have basic needs so the less featured $20 per year is what I am on now.

The Windows version will not be available for some time, though.

2 Likes

I do like that MoneyWiz offers a non-bank sync sub. So many of these apps want to force that on you now, and in my experience there is always trouble with those services. I remember when YNAB used to use the no transaction downloads as a selling point: You will understand your money better if you type in your transiactions yourself. They dropped that line when they decided to go to a monthly sub.

2 Likes

Ynab for zero-based budgeting. Banktivity is a more complete app for everything else (investment tracking). Both are subscriptions nowadays.

4 Likes

My vote goes to Banktivity. I like that it does general personal finance management as well as zero-based budgeting.

1 Like

Moneywiz I’ve used it for years. rock solid.

1 Like

Been using Banktivity for a few years, it has a couple minor annoying issues but overall it gets the job done. I have not upgraded to the subscription yet but probably will soon.

1 Like