What’s your job?

I am a Senior Linux Systems Administrator and Architect for my day job. I run an IT infrastructure consulting company on the side that specializes in cloud technologies for small and medium sized businesses.

2 Likes

I’m a Political Science prof at a small midwestern college.

4 Likes

Animal genetics prof at a medium sized Canadian comprehensive university that is also known for agriculture. Hobby farmer (miniature donkeys) on the side. Mac user since the dawn of OSX. Livestock genetics is mostly big data computing so my first coding was Fortran, PL/1 and some COBOL before Apple existed as a company.

3 Likes

CIO of rivulis LTD a manufacturer of irrigation systems .
CTO of an airplanes engine company ,
system administrator of several Print and Media companies ,
and lastly - storage and networking administrator for a computing cluster + infiniband GPFS and more .

not enough days in the week i presume ,

2 Likes

Orthopaedic Surgeon. Hips and Knees.

2 Likes

But the iPhone is already more powerfull than theCDC Cyber systems we used to run genetics calculations on. Heck my iPhone8 would give a Cray 1 or 2 a run for its money. :wink:

I’m running EBVcalculation code written in Fortran on my Mac right now. Looking to move to Python but it’s all working. Trying to integrate it with my Lambtracker program, going slowly, I need to learn Python first.

You can run FORTRAN on a cluster easily . It does scale … we do still use it now .

Postdoctoral Fellow (read: contract researcher with a PhD) at a Canadian university working remotely from the US Midwest where I am still getting accustomed to living in the USA.

My work is largely qualitative, so in addition to the usual research data management stuff I’ve worked a lot on honing a transcription workflow and interview recording workflow for phone interviews. I’ve done some quantitative stuff so have used STATA, SPSS, Excel, and can usually troubleshoot code in R but can’t write a lick of it myself.

2 Likes

I live in the Midwest myself, more specifically Missouri. :blush:

1 Like

I teach high school and middle school band.

1 Like

That seems to be the trend. Put legacy number crunching code (aka EBVs) written in an efficient / fast 3GL together with [fill in your favourite scripting language here] to create the desired evaluation system for data out / EBVs in to the animal management software. FORTRAN lives on due to speed and old guys like me with a pile of code to re-use. My iPhone 8 definitely has more processing power and storage than the IBM 3090 we ran the entire Canadian dairy genetic evaluations on in the late 1980s. Glad to hear from others using the Mac as a scientific number crunching platform. (Apologies for the acronym EBV = estimated breeding value = statistical genetics selection tool for picking the best animals as parents in a non-GMO approach to livestock improvement)

2 Likes

Biggest Issue I have with existing EBV code is that it’s written to minimize use of system resources and is unecessarily complex. The whole way it sorts data inputs first to keep the input file in generation/birthdate order is wonky. It’s a lot faster to do it other ways now but rewriting is complex due to the spaghetti like nature of the original code. End goal is not only EBV calculations but also relationship, genetic distance and eventually Ward’s Clustering to determine existing bloodlines in rare breeds.

meantime I’m suddenly dealing with a major fracking threat to our irrigation water so all LambTracker stuff has to wait. :sigh:

Teacher in Danish and English

1 Like

I’m a retired computer scientist. Back when I was still active (it’s been a while) I mostly worked on technology transfer between research and product groups and on joint projects with other companies. One of them was Apple. That was my first experience with development on Apple platforms.

Before that I worked as a physicist at a particle accelerator. That’s where I got sucked into computers. We used PDP-11s for data acquisition, VAX-11s for most of our analysis and, yes, a lot of that FORTRAN code that others have mentioned. I’d bet that there are still traces of that running somewhere.

1 Like

You teach Danish and English, or another subject in both of those languages?

I teach Danish and English language in Denmark :grinning:

1 Like

What are the titles of your text books?

@jen I would be interested in learning how you use your tech to organize and analyze your DNA and family tree data. I am a clerk in a family history library in Texas, and I’m always looking for new things to share with my patrons.

you seem to have something green stuck to your nose

1 Like

I’m an architect. I do mostly residential work, mostly renovations. I used to say I do “kitchens for lawyers and apartment combinations for bankers,” but lately I’ve discovered I really like working with older clients and the ideas implied in the phrase “aging in place.”

Otherwise my vocation (which can feel like a job) is working through the various stages of being a photographer.

1 Like