What Tech Did You Take Too Long to Buy?

I have been eyeing an MK for a while now … maybe today I take the plunge! :+1:

1 Like

Recently got into mechanical keyboard myself a few months ago. Got the K6. Wish I made the plunge years ago. I got it paired with my MBP and iPad Pro. Was aiming for the blue switch but got the side-eye from the missus so brown switch it is. Since I grew up with a typewriter, my brown switch sounds like a blue since I type with a force of a small hammer :joy:

3 Likes

Me too Bought my first Mac in 2011. I just couldn’t take windows any longer

1 Like

Eero is pretty high up there, in the non-Apple category.

2 Likes

The Hit List was spectacular - it arrived (before Omnifocus) and everyone raved about it, full of improvement suggestions for the developer. Who then got completely overwhelmed, lost the plot, and disappeared. A shame really.

It was beautiful looking software - I loved that each tab could have a different theme/background colour, something Omnifocus could benefit from - and the smart lists were years ahead of their time.

1 Like

Oh man, now I just remembered Chandler. Some interesting ideas percolating back then.

We don’t have Eero here but when I eventually bought the (very similar) Amplifi system I now have it was such a big improvement that I realised I waited too long.

Same with the 27” LG Ultrafine monitor to pair with my MBP. I was taken in my all the pundits saying it is too ugly and waiting (still!) for Apple to do make something similar. When lockdown hit this year and I eventually got one for my home office I realised my mistake. Very happy with it.

2 Likes

A Mac! I was windows for too long then I bought a Mac - ive been on the Mac world for about 8 years now , I think I would refuse a job if they required windows…

1 Like

Oh …the joy… despite having an Asus router I changed supplier and eBayed it thinking it’s 2020 surely basic free routers couldn’t be that bad. Man was I wrong. However this journey ended up fortuitous - I wasn’t mad about about the Asus despite its high enough retail price and ended up trying a Fritz!box 7530 Best router in its class I’ve ever used.

1 Like

Makita cordless hammer drill

Messed around with running, plugging and coiling cords for way too long when most of what I needed to drill could easily be done with a cordless drill. Its incredible how lithium ion has revolutionised the power tool industry!

7 Likes

I was always a fan of a large monitor setup with my Macs over the decades.
When I bought my first iMac 27" I decided that I did not need a second monitor. Then I thought it might be useful, but I dawdled for years, in part waiting for an high quality Apple 27" monitor, which never came.

When I bought my late 2014 iMac 27" I decided that I would go ahead and buy a second monitor and got a relatively cheap Dell 27" monitor to supplement my iMac. It makes me SO much more productive that I regret not getting it much earlier. Macs handle two monitors really well. And I think that two large monitors are much better than some big curved screen “thing”.

My iMac is Retina and my Dell is not. I do not really find this a problem. I am quite happy working on windows that are on the Dell, the relative lack of sharpness is not a problems for me.

2 Likes

Big external monitor! Also, a color laser printer, because I’m an editor and proofreader, and it’s the best way to proofread most publications. I had been going to OfficeMax to get printouts; the printer is a better use of money and time.

5 Likes

Did you get three eero pros or one pro and two beacons?

I’m running 3 eero Pros.

3 Likes

FWIW I have one pro and 2 beacons in a 2300 sq ft/2 story home and it works great from basement to my office on 2nd floor.

2 Likes

I installed our Eeros this weekend. We have a bit of an unusual setup involving two cabins with a garden in between and now everything’s lit up (literally, we have iDevice switches for outdoor lights). Home Kit is actually reliable and our wifi has never been faster, (3x faster through the Eero than our modem/router combo).

Thank you, @RosemaryOrchard, for tipping me onto this!

ETA: Also, we had to call Eero for tech support and they were :100:.

3 Likes

I set up my leftover Eero (I got a 3 pack, but only needed 2) for my parents last week and it seems to be working for them too! I’m very pleased about that.

3 Likes

I Think just for messages an Apple Watch is overkill. I have a Garmin, which I use for running, swimming, etc. and it notifies me too. It does stop there, but if you don’t need it for anything else I think most smartwatches, including low-end ones from Garmin, Fitbit, etc., do that.

Right now it’s feeling like the new MacBook Air :rofl::joy:

4 Likes

An Apple computer. man I put up with Windows way too long.

4 Likes