What Tech Did You Take Too Long to Buy?

I recall an earlier thread from some months ago where someone was having difficulty in getting an Ero set up with a UK ISP. Have you had any issues?

That person was with BT. Iā€™m with the Post Office and it works fine, and I know a few folks on Virgin who are using it without issue.

1 Like

Quite generally a computer. I had my first PC in 2001.
And a mobile phone, not a smartphone, an old school Nokia. Got my first in 2007.
I used to be quite a luddite, haha.

1 Like

Ah thanks. I am with BT so I will have to check this out a bit more.

Theyā€™ll love it. I went with Eero about a year ago to fix some WiFi issues I was having, and itā€™s been rock-solid.

My apartment is under 1500 square feet, so I only need the one unit. The only thing plugged directly into the Eero is my Hue bridge. Everything else connects via WiFi, and it all works flawlessly.

1 Like

Well Rosemary, I believe you just sold a bunch of Eeros. :white_check_mark:

4 Likes

Iā€™d definitely recommend waiting for Black Friday or another sale to get them! I was fortunate to find a very good deal on eBay for the now ā€œolderā€ models.

3 Likes

I went to Mac in 2007. I was happy with Windows until then, but Windows XP was old and I was hearing terrible things about Vista. I figured if I had to switch operating systems anyway, I might as well go to one that people like. And Iā€™d been reading intriguing things about Mac productivity from Merlin Mann and Gina Trapani at Lifehacker.

I held off on getting an Apple Watch. I was intrigued by the idea of getting notifications on my wrist, which I could check at a glance. I went with a cheap $40 smartwatch called the Martian Notifier in 2016 ā€“ it worked surprisingly well. Then I updated to the Pebble, and then the Apple Watch. I am still using that same Apple Watch; itā€™s a Series 1. Iā€™m thinking about upgrading this year but have not pulled the trigger. I still like the Apple Watch primarily for the same reason ā€“ notifications on my wrist. If I get a text message, I can check it without pulling my phone out of my pocket.

3 Likes

Bought the first iPad second hand just a few months after iPad 2 was released. It changed the way I write and design. Wish I bought the iPad 2 though but the second hand unit I got has 3G and its 32GB for half the price of iPad 2 based model.

I usually buy game console right at the end of its lifecycle. I had my PS2 when PS3 came out, same with PS3 when PS4 came out. Same with the Wii. I always buy second hand. But with the Switch, bought it to brand new and two years after released. Couldnā€™t imagine buying the Switch at the end of itā€™s lifecycle. But with Playstation, still planning on getting the PS4. Itā€™s cheaper with also cheaper games.

I have mentioned this in other threads but replacing my soundbar with a real 5.1 system is the only thing I regret not buying sooner. Compared to the soundbar, a decent receiver and sound setup brings content alive and adds so much to the experience of watching a movie or playing a console. I wish Iā€™d had one for much longer as Iā€™ve been missing out on effects that make films and series have much more atmosphere.

3 Likes

Iā€™m currently in the process of finalizing my new apartment, and want to move to a 5.1 system from a sound bar. Are you using an out of the box type set up or building al a Carte?

Thatā€™s funny because I just switched to a sound bar from a receiver based system and wish I did it earlier. I love the ease of use and the Sonos one we bought sounds great

1 Like

I bought Bose 5.1 speakers - https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/home_theater/acoustimass-10-speaker-system.html#v=am10_v_black - which are small but really potent and the Denon AVR-X2600H receiver that provides enough power to drive them.

2 Likes

It took forever to jump on Apple (fully). I was an adamant Windows user until 2014. I purchased my first MacBook Pro and have never looked back since. I am awaiting the Apple Event on Tuesday to see if itā€™s time for an upgrade.

Also, to be fairā€¦I have been staring into the abyss as of late hoping I donā€™t blink. A few friends do gaming on PC (which I am against, I love my Switch and PS4 and upcoming PS5). However, watching my friends play/interact onlineā€¦itā€™s been a temptation. Ughā€¦

1 Like

I once owned an IPOD and then inexplicably decided I wanted to try using a Microsoft Zune because I preferred the ZUNE Market Interface betterā€¦ i waited too long to move back.

iPod Classic for me (the one with the hard drive, small display and wheel to control it). I had bought a few other MP3 players but they never lasted. The iPod just worked and the interface was amazing. That was the device that got me into the mac, iPhone, iPad etc etc.

1 Like

A mechanical keyboard. Iā€™ve got the Keychron K8 now and I love it.

2 Likes

Pssst
Take a subscription to Shadow.tech. Allows you to have a gaming PC in the cloud. Without, you know, the PC itself. :grin:

Moving to the Mac. Wasnā€™t a fan of the early Macs and used Windows at work for years. Tried a couple of MP3 players and finally got an iPod Touch. Really liked it and that started my slippery slope.

Smartphone. My first was an iPhone 5.

Induction cooktop. IMHO the best way to cook. All the advantages of gas with none of the drawbacks.

2 Likes

Oh me too. I went through a series of MP3 players, including one where I had to record the music as it was played from the CD. Then I got the iPod Nano (one of the original white ones), lovely piece of kit!

2 Likes