Where do you use your iPad?

I try to take my iPad on most occassions. This was last year during my stay in Sweden and I didn’t really miss my Mac those weeks.

2 Likes

Out back on the deck, in the sunroom with the dog, on planes (without the dog). I was thinking today that many people seem to use it at their desks, to supplement their Macs, something I never do. Don’t see the point.

1 Like

In the train, for reading digital magazines.

1 Like

Trains, planes and automobiles. Whenever I travel the iPad is with me, loaded up with work and pleasure reading materials, music, videos.

My iPad is usually nearby wherever I am.

1 Like

Everywhere I can, the form factor and weight are perfect for use anywhere

1 Like

At home, but also in this office. I fly in Lesotho and use the iPad (and recently apple pencil too) on every flight. In fact, I feel a little lost (errrr, maybe literally) without it. It does so much for me on our daily medical flight here. Love it. Its an iPad 6th gen in a nice rugged case, used with a leg strap while I’m flying.

8 Likes

Local Pub

And any public meeting especially as we are fighting fracking in our watershed and I often have to look up stuff on the fly as I craft my rebuttal responses to Gunnison Energy BS. I set up my own wifi hotspot with my phone since my iPad is not cellular enabled.

4 Likes

I’ve never cared for large phones so my iPad is usually close, either in a thin portfolio with the few papers, etc. I may need or in the map pocket behind the front passenger seat.

• Lots of coffee shops
  • Next to my computer at work (sometimes with Duet, sometimes as its own thing)
  • Front porch swing
  • Back porch chair
  • laying on the couch trying not to fall asleep and let it tip off my chest
1 Like

I only have it either at work or in my living room. When out with my family and friends or on holiday I don’t even take it, and I don’t take a phone out with me anymore (on holiday I take a phone but leave it in the hotel, and normally don’t need it).

My watch allows me to do task management/calls//messages etc and listen to audio books, and it’s great not having digital distractions around.

Basically everywhere as and when needed:

• back of the taxi
  • airport terminal
  • in flight
  • hotel bar
  • restaurant, when dining alone
  • on vacation, for trip planning, photo editing
  • as a tray when getting the good coffee downstairs
1 Like

Why do you use it in conjunction with your computer at work? You have a perfectly good computer right there.

If your work computer is Windows, then that’s my answer!

Windows? Goodness no. Gross.

I mostly do it because it has a completely separate iCloud account on it. I also like to have my incoming email, web browsing (like this forum) and Slack on it so I don’t get distracted on the mac. I do all my real work on the Mac at work.

Occasionally, I’ll hook up Duet and draw with the Pencil right into something on the Mac, too. That’s about it.

1 Like

On my desk at work I’ve got a Windows box, my MacBook Pro connected to an external display, and my iPad Pro. I’ll use whichever best suits what I’m doing.

For instance, our work email and calendaring is so locked down that I can’t put it on the Mac except through the Office 365 web client, and I don’t want to put any of my personal calendars on my work PC, so the iPad is the only device that has both personal and work calendars on it. I do a lot of my calendaring on the iPad. Or I may have handwritten notes in Goodnotes up on my iPad while I work on something in iA Writer on the Mac. I also have some Shortcuts on iOS to set up complicated projects in OmniFocus, so I’ll use the iPad for that.

Now, thanks to the large screen and better ergonomics the Mac is my first choice for a much greater portion of my desk bound tasks than the iPad is, but for some things the iPad is better and it’s right there, so why wouldn’t I use it?

2 Likes

lol

I should at least make a point to bring my ipad into my home office and set it up next to my desk every morning, and see where that leads me.

1 Like

I use my 12.9 as my primary note taking and reading device while I’m working in my lab. I’ve become absolutely DEPENDENT on having all my records and notes on hand.

I’ve just started using my iPad at my desk along with the main Mac, MacAir and Chromebook plus 2 Kindle fires all at once. I can have the current version of the LambTracker database up on my main mac with the SQLite tools ready to look at stuff, the Android development environment up on laptop with an extra screen attached so code is on the laptop and the logcat is on the extra screen, 1 kindle running the test code against the new database, 1 running the old code against the old database, iPad with some manuals and other reference stuff I am using and the Chromebook ready for web browsing or quickie stuff. Desk is a mess, lots of my post-it note kanban bugs/enhancements that I am working on but I am getting results.

2 Likes

I’m also picturing livestock wandering in and out, just to add to the chaos.

3 Likes

I used my iPad Air 2 for most of 2018 as my primary computer. My MacBook Air was getting long in the tooth, and I found that the iPad gave me the flexibility to work anywhere. I spent a good deal of time at my local coffee shops writing academic papers, preparing lectures, Keynotes, and even grading. The MacBook Air stayed at my desk and was only pulled out for heavy lifting (video editing and final paper formatting). I recently ordered the iPad Air 3 with Apple Pencil. Since my department purchased a MacBook Pro, I have decided to go back to an iPad centered workflow (will even try to do the minimal amount of video editing I need to do on the new iPad). I really love the ability to carry a small Tom Bihn bag with an iPad, notebook, and keyboard and work almost anywhere.

1 Like

Naa, they are all naked now We just finished shearing) and so are embarrassed to be seen in polite company :wink:

2 Likes