Why is everyone writing about Windows 11 rather than the Apple betas?

Well the Public Betas just dropped - let’s see where the conversation goes now…

“Be sure to back up your iPad with iTunes before installing the software” so says https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/guide#ipados

Sigh. Why, Apple…?
:confused:

Microsoft definitely wants more developers for Windows 11 but, IMO, with a $2 trillion dollar market value they are about as desperate for profit as Apple. The two companies aren’t the competitors they once were.

Microsoft is growing fastest in cloud services (Windows server/Azure, etc) and productivity/business processes (Office, LinkedIn etc). Personal computing (Windows 10/11 and gaming) is still very profitable but not growing at anywhere near the rate of their other areas.

You’re referring to the User Interface Guidelines, and the entitlements system, respectively?

The traditional way of going into your web browser, inputing a URL, clicking a download link, clicking on the executable, etc… it is just less user friendly and less convenient than just going to the Microsoft Store and searching for what you want. The installation process is painless. It is quick and easy.

Tim Cook is a logistics expert. One could argue that he played a key role in Apple’s modern evolution. You’d never be able to find anybody like him.

Actually, developers don’t even need to use Microsoft’s payment system anymore. Nearly all of the restrictions have been lifted.

Let’s wait and see what happens. OBS Studio was another program that came to the Microsoft Store. Even extensions for Microsoft Edge are beginning to appear in the Microsoft Store.

And one could argue that (1) it hasn’t been an actual evolution, and (2) what has happened under Cook’s leadership has been great for the shareholders; not so great for developers and a large number (even if not the majority any longer) of users.

And I’d take the resurrection of Steve Jobs over Cook’s continued role for sure.

1 Like

I do like Cook’s advocation of digital privacy, though.

3 Likes

Yes, and the sandboxing limitations.

The Apple Watch, AirPods, HomePod, etc… they all came out under Tim Cook’s leadership. The Apple Watch and AirPods took over their respective industries and became huge successes.

Okay, but why have things not been so great for developers under Tim Cook’s leadership? I never really followed that kind of stuff.

And my 20 characters are required but unnecessary.

1 Like

For one, each OS has many reported issues that have never been addressed. For one, PDFKit has been broken since Sierra. Radars are filed… and often never heard from again. And the release schedule Cook put Apple on just adds features instead of fixing issues first. And the public beta program has done nothing substantial to better the releases. The pace of releases not only leaves developers in the position of having to create and try to maintain workarounds for things that should have been fixed long ago, but users expect the shiny new features to be included in software releases. Add the fact there are two releases per year, iOS and macOS, and Apple adds to a developer’s workload in both ways: new features that could be implemented and having to work around things that slipped through QA.

2 Likes

Actually, public betas have created something even more irritating - a bunch of users who have the public beta and want to know why App Developer X doesn’t have the shiny new features working in their apps yet.

Basically they’re demanding to know why code that can’t be submitted to the App Store yet hasn’t been submitted to the App Store yet. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ah, thanks for your insight! :+1:

1 Like

Do you think that this is Cook, or Federici? I’d wager the latter to bring the Operating systems closer together (It happened after Forstall left)

I think that a slowdown on macOS would be warranted. There’s nothing to stop major updates to the OS without releasing a whole new OS every year.

I love the idea, it should be a way to get millions of beta testers to test all kinds of new and unforeseen scenarios but most of the feedback from the Public and Developers seems to be ignored after the first couple of betas because there’s no time to change things without putting the GM release date in jeopardy.

I would not be surprised if the new Safari top bar travesty made it to GM with the hidden buttons and the off centre address section unchanged.

The most sensible solution for Apple is clear. They need a Tik Tok release schedule. Deliver a feature laden OS release followed by the “Snow Leopard” optimization release the following upgrade. Those who sway towards "flashy releases can plan accordingly to be on the cutting edge. Those who are risk averse will stick to the “Snow Leopard” like release channel.

Tim Cook is boring. Apple has got to find someone charismatic to push the company into taking a few more chances

Hard to tell really. Cook is a money guy and Apple is definitely focused more on profit and sales than QA right now.

RE: Beta testing…
If you have a good beta pool working with you, it can be very helpful.
If you have mostly early adopters who just want to play with the new stuff before everyone else, not so much.
And yeah, I don’t know how much Apple is listening to the feedback they receive.

1 Like

I assume it is accurate to add M1 Macs?

4 Likes