Will you upgrade to Big Sur?

Big Sur is out of beta. Will you upgrade?

• Yes, or already have
  • I’ll wait 3-6 months
  • I could, but I won’t
  • I can’t

0 voters

Comments in the thread below, please.

2 Likes

Yes, as soon as my production software and drivers are compatible (I want to shiny new interface!). I have just made the Catalina jump last week and cleaned out my latest 32-bit software, so I expect this jump to be easier. But it can still be 3-6 months before music manufacturers get their mess together…

3 Likes

Still on Mojave on my iMac and Mac mini at the moment. I’ll probably give it a month than upgrade both to Big Sur.

3 Likes

I would have updated more or less on day one except that with remote working I now have to make sure that critical applications will have no problems before updating.

3 Likes

I’ll be updating one machine on Thursday, this is so I can record videos for ScreenCastsOnline straight away. The other two machines I’ll hang onto Catalina a few weeks to make sure nothing critical is broken, then hop on the Big Sur bandwagon.

4 Likes

I’m telling myself I won’t… but probably will upgrade one machine on Friday.
Already moved to the new Hazel and have licenses for Bartender and Little Snitch ready.

2 Likes

My mini is basically a server doing file automation & backup for my iPad. There’s really no reason for me to upgrade.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure IT will block the installer on our machines…

1 Like

Yes, once work’s VM software (VMware Horizon Client) releases a compatible update. Hoping that’ll happen soon after the Thursday Big Sur GA release.

1 Like

I have BS on my laptop, which is no longer part of my workflow. My iMac Pro will stay on Catalina for the foreseeable future, as I use virtual machines, Docker, MATLAB, etc. and don’t need any (more) challenges in doing my work.

2 Likes

I use an OWC ThunderBay RAID drive, and their SoftRAID software that makes it work isn’t yet compatible.

Until they get that sorted, I’m staying on Catalina.

3 Likes

I’ve been using it on my personal machine since the public beta dropped and have found it very stable, so that machine will get the upgrade on day one.

In past years, I’d have upgraded the work machine, too. Not this time around. Usually, the first thing I’ve done with any work machine is make a bootable clone so that if I crash and burn, I can put things back the way they were, without having to call IT in to help. IT and I have generally had an understanding — they know I have a tendency to go rogue, but they also know I don’t want to cause them any trouble, and I don’t ask for support. They generally trust my tech skills.

Unfortunately (for me, that is — it likely makes IT’s life easier), last year IT made changes to the way they manage College-owned Macs (they’re using JAMF now; I don’t know what they were using before). And of course bootable clones aren’t really possible at the moment.

So, because I genuinely don’t want to cause headaches for our folks in IT, I promised I’d behave myself when they handed me a new MacBook Pro at the start of the semester.

3 Likes

of course… around September 2021…

2 Likes

I’m surprised your I.T. Department allows you to make any system changes to your work machine. Out of 150+ users I allowed few this ability. One was a power user who assisted me with the Adobe users in his department. The others were senior executives who controlled my future with the company.

Few are those in most organizations who wield this power. Use it wisely :smile:

2 Likes

Oh, I’ve always been careful.

And even if I wanted to, I really can’t do too much — JAMF has me locked out of the software update preference pane, for instance. :wink:

2 Likes

First the 11.12…confused me. But it’s actually tomorrow! Will upgrade immediately.

1 Like

Will it matter much if I download today from the public beta or download it tomorrow officially?

I’ll update my Air as soon as it’s available. I’ll probably wait for a few months for my main system.

1 Like

How are you finding the Hazel 5 beta?

And the Bartender 4 beta?

Went ahead and took the plunge this morning and upgraded my iMac to Big Sur. Main impetus for upgrading now is to be able to take advantage of device switching with my AirPods Max when they arrive next week. Not planning on using the AirPods with the Mac mini home server, so I’ll keep it on Mojave for now.

5 Likes