Will you upgrade to the new iPhone?

To me the answer to this question is predicated by the model of the phone that you currently have. I have an iPhone X and the new models, whilst nice, aren’t sufficiently different for me to think that I must have a new one. Next year? Quite possibly but not this year.

1 Like

I have an 8 Plus that’s only 6-8 months old, but if I can bribe our IT guys with some beer or Starbucks gift cards, I think I can get an upgrade to an XS. :grin:

5 Likes

So the status of the Xs that I ordered with Apple has changed to “preparing to ship.” This is the first time I am ordering a phone at release so how long is the typical wait? Very excited to see this thing.

As for all the projections about the lack of demand for the Xs, when I ordered the phone the 256 gb model already had more than a week delay lead time while other models were ready to go.

Hoping the watch can get here quicker than the mid Oct date listed currently!

I must say I’m kinda surprised on this forum 50% say they are NOT upgrading.

That being said, I’m hanging in there w/my refurbished 6s until it dies. I loved by 4, then my 5s, I tend to wear stuff out then replace.

And I gotta spend my $$ on an Apple Watch (maybe).

1 Like

I suspect a fair number of those folks got an X last year. I think the “every year” upgrade train is more the exception than the rule, even among enthusiasts.

I thought that about the X right after I hit “Reply”.

Yeah, I will upgrade. A bit of a phone nerd. The dual sim option will be useful for me when I travel. I have the original iPhone X, but look forward to the larger screen of the max.

My 128GB 6S (bought new) is doing quite well, thank you. Been running the 12 Public Beta since its release, and it’s been fine.

Yes!!

My iPhone 6 has become an adventure in charging (the connector is bad). Other than the charging my 6 works great.

Last week I had a scare when I could not get the 6 to charge. I headed to the Verizon store to find that they had no iPhone X and only one iPhone 8. :worried:

I ordered the new Xs (I call it “X” not “Ten”, sorry).

Now that the new reality has set in, I am fired up !! I have set aside time on Friday night for us (me and X) to have a few hours getting to know each other. :wink:

(I have not told Six, (Battlestar Galactica reference), you know how jealous she can get, so shhhh…)

2 Likes

Dangerously jealous, so it’s probably good your name isn’t Gaius…

1 Like

Just call what CGP Grey has been saying: iPhone Tennis :slight_smile:

I’ve been callin the Xs, tennis and the Xs Max just Max. I think Apple should have just called the Max, “MaX.”

1 Like

When I picked up my new iPhone XS at the Apple Store today I took advantage of the opportunity to handle the XS and XS Max side by side. It only took a few moments with the Max to confirm my decision to get the smaller phone. The XS is small enough to (barely) be a one-handed device for me. The Max would definitely be a two-hander. It would also be too big for one of the pockets where I commonly store my phone.

So, definitely the XS for me.

5 Likes

Your experience mirror what I suspected would apply to me. I use my phone enough one handed that it is important. I don’t want to feel like I’m about to drop it when taking a selfie of me and my wife if we are traveling, for instance. Also, I remember how big the old Plus felt in my pockets and I’d rather not go back to that unless I have to. The fact that the XS screen is just about as big as the old Plus is great. And there not being a spec difference like there used to seals the deal.

2 Likes

AFAIK, battery replacement doesn’t increase it’s resale value. I’ve checked with Apple’s resale program and it doesn’t matter what’s the battery capacity is.

1 Like

I did upgrade due to the e-sim technology but still att, my carrier, is not supporting it yet. Anyone have idea when this will be active?

Technically, the eSIM in the iPhone is available since iOS 12.1.

Here in Germany, Vodafone and T-Mobile announced the immediate availability for their networks three days ago.

1 Like

I have been using my new iPhone Xs Max for about a month now and love it. Doing certain things one handed was initially a bit challenging, but have leaned to manage most things. Would not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it has been an exceptional phone for me.

I wasn’t planning on it, but at couldn’t pass up The veteran’s discount from Apple, on the purchase of a new iPhone.

My iPhone 6 is slowing down again, to the point where I have to wait seconds for it to respond. It lasted me 3.5 years of good service though. I partially credit this to the Otterbox case though.

Having checked Gazelle, they would only pay me $75 for my 64GB. iPhone 6. Apple will credit me $150 for it, once they receive it and evaluate it.

There is a bit of deception from Apple, on the trade in though. They give you credit towards a future purpose at the Apple Store. I don’t like this because I try to buy all of my Apple gear from other retailers such as Target, Amazon, B&H or OWC. I’d much rather have credit at the App store. Damn Apple for not giving people that option.

For some reason, the purchase of my phone stipulates that they will credit the original purchasing source (in my case, my credit card), once they receive my iPhone 6. That’s a better choice than the Apple store.

So, I’ve bought a Blue 256 GB XR, with Apple Care+ (also discounted).

Let it be known that Apple now only offers Apple Care for 2 years instead of 3, it’s more expensive, and subject to deductibles on each incident.

I thought Apple Care on iOS devices has always been two years? Macs are three.