WWDC 2020 Keynote thread!

Interesting how Catalyst enhancements got prominent mention, but we haven’t heard much about SwiftUI so far.

2 Likes

FOUNDATION teaser.

3 Likes

“Werhner.”

And Johny Srouji is a Palestinian with Israeli citizenship, not a former Nazi.

6 Likes

Interesting they don’t say “Arm.” I guess they don’t have to?

These native apps is a precursor to pro apps running on iPad right?

Dang Apple and Microsoft tag teaming?

1 Like

The Apple Silicon terminology is interesting.

They certainly implied ARM when they Johny Srouji said it would be the same architecture across all of Apple’s platforms. When Craig went to the About This Mac on the developer machine, it did explicitly say it was an A12Z chip, so that is confirmation.

Interesting how it went straight to Microsoft and didn’t show Pages/Keynote etc.

2 Likes

Wow, that Final Cut Pro was demo was awesome.

1 Like

The new iPad is here

Rosetta 2 was not unexpected. x86 virtualization is more surprising. iOS apps running unmodified on macOS is downright shocking. Until now, Apple has always been very strict about the line between pointer based UI and touch based UI.

2 Likes

"Linux… or Docker…" !!!

• Arm.
Native Office.
Native CC.
Emulation.
Virtualization.

• Run iPhone and iPad apps on the Mac. (I was predicting this for years!)

Kuh-razy.

3 Likes

yah, salivating here!

Wow end of year shipping. Think it’ll happen?

Yes. rumors are one desktop and one notebook app to start:

Last transition Apple also said it would take two years, but that was to give them elbow room - it really took one year.

1 Like

My prediction is something like the Mac Pro timeframe last year. Before the end of the year, but no hardware reaches end users before December.

1 Like

Gotta say, I liked this “covid-style” presentation. A little dry perhaps but also less hypishness. yep, diggin’ it

4 Likes

Delayed gratification? Not my best thing!

Here you go Mitch

1 Like

For those who need a new iMac now, what is the best route to go? Just keep waiting? No guarantee that new iMacs will be out this year - the new ARM Macs might be MacBooks, not iMacs. Any thoughts?

1 Like