WWDC 2020 Keynote thread!

Anyone else REALLY disappointed with the iOS changes so far? (Both iOS and iPadOS)

Really like the “food label” analogy for privacy.

4 Likes

I love this privacy stuff before downloading an app.

3 Likes

I’m pretty happy with what we’ve seen so far. More of a refinement year, but some nice enhancements.

1 Like

For me, there seems to be more interesting things (no more phone call taking over the screen, embeddable widgets, privacy improvements, sleep tracking, etc.) than other, more emoji-inflected OS updates.

2 Likes

O wow, AR monitoring zones. Has that been a thing for the standalone systems?

Asimov FTW!

5 Likes

Lol do you think the “crackpot marketing team” loves the shout outs

• Surprised so much usage of Sign In With Apple - I tried using it twice, and it wouldn’t work either time, bounced me out in a repeating cycle. On the latest episode of The Rebound podcast, both Dan Moren and Lex Friedman noted this as well, saying they couldn’t use it with one real estate site they’d both tried using it with.

• Privacy info in apps prior to download: excellent.

• Someone mentioned HomePod, lol. I guess that means it’s not discontinued!

• Nice Noguchi lamp in the AppleTV presenter’s place. but it looks like she’s got two Sonos units under the wall-TV.

• Asimov: I don’t like that they’re making the Mule wear a red baseball cap.

Boom

1 Like

Big Sur, emphasis on design.

It’s been too long neglected, IMO.

1 Like

iOS like design shows how important that system is to bringing people into the ecosystem now.

This menu bar customization is how I wanted Bartender to work.

Seems like they’ve finally fixed the red “close” button on finder windows floating up higher than yellow or green buttons, finally.

Or maybe it’s like a mirage that my brain is making me see.

I really like these macOS updates!

Agreed the keynote feels more consumer oriented this year, but I think they are trying to get more people to watch the State of the Union than in years past and will be leaning on that presentation more for mass communication.

1 Like

Started watching the keynote late, did they incorporate Dark Sky?

I started late too, but haven’t heard anything yet.

Keychain gets “watchtower” esq

1 Like

Weather wasn’t mentioned.

1 Like

Carrot Weather has shown up in the background several times.

1 Like

• Uh oh - I use Calendar 366 II as my clock. :open_mouth: Seems I need to use the Apple clock to get to widget view?

• Translucent menubar? I look forward to learning about the Terminal command to turn that sucker off.

• Mac Messages: needed improvements. Needs still more.

• Catalyst: looks like they finally are offering devs a v.1.0 experience.

• Safari: We’re faster than Chrome! (No mention of Brave, Firefox or Edge.) WebExtensions API to bring extensions from other browsers? Good claim but I’m from Missouri - show me.

• Safari Reading List on new page borrows a bit from Firefox’s use of Pocket. (Pocket is a lot more powerful, but it’s best features aren’t free.)

• Tracker protection list is just like uBlock/Brave etc. Catch-up

• Tab management looks nice. Translation! Fantastic.

• “Our own Apple silikin… custom silikin… Apple silikin.”