WWDC 2020 Keynote thread!

I was surprised that they would mention Microsoft, but not Windows. Considering that not even Microsoft cannot get Windows to run well on ARM, it may be too much to expect that Apple can.

yep… still no sharesheet!!

2 Likes

Basic apps without strategic importance or add-ons don’t get much love from Apple. They offer just enough for as long as they can, and when they go above and beyond, like with the Notes revamp, it’s a surprise.

Yes, it’s a shame they didn’t mention that it goes to 11.

I think Windows emulation will remain the province of Intel machines, possibly for years.

2 Likes

I just noticed Intel stock dropped from today’s high about 40 minutes ago.

This morning the stock started at 350 and it’s curently 358, after hitting a high of 359.22 - an all time high. Pretty irrelevant, though. It hit an all time high.

No more ‘mac oh ess ecks’ or ‘ecks eye’.

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings. I like the changes to the home screen, widgets, and other refinements. If I have two disappointments they would be:

1. No share sheet extension for Apple Mail
  2. No changes to how multitasking works on the iPad. It is not bad as it but could use some refinement.

Overall, a lot of nice changes. I thought the changes to Safari and Apple Notes were particularly, well, noteworthy. :wink:

2 Likes

They were running Parallels, and unless this is some new version that only virtualizes ARM and runs on ARM, they must be virtualizing Intel architecture. However if it is a new Parallels and the Linux is an ARM Linux, then I’m back in doom-and-gloom mode.

1 Like

Check this out

EDIT: And this!

4 Likes

I can see how the overlayed search instead of a screen take over may make it simpler but to do existing multitasking gestures.

1 Like

My bet is that we saw virtualization of an ARM Linux distro, since those binaries are already compiled for ARM.

Big Sur preview page:

Macs that will be able to run Big Sur:

• Macbook (2015 and later)
  • MacBook Air (2013 and later)
  • MacBook Pro (2013 and later)
  • Mac mini (2014 and later)
  • iMac (2014 and later)
  • iMac Pro (all models)
  • Mac Pro (2013 and later)

Interesting that there’s no Thunderbolt in the dev machine, just 2x 10Gbit USB and 2x 5Gbit USB. Must be something they’re still working on… plausibly with USB4/TB4

First version of macOS that I won’t be able to run on my 2012 Retina MacBook Pro.

2 Likes

This one’s interesting!

1 Like

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 4.38.54 PM

Emoji search!

1 Like

Developer documentation here.

Kernel extensions are still supported but are discouraged in favor of DriverKit. Users must explicitly configure their systems for “Reduced Security” to load a 3rd party kext.

This will be a relief for a lot of devs and users of some current Mac apps.

Same for my old 2012 Mac mini. And Apple Watch Series 1 and Series 2 will not update to watchOS 7

It would be nice. But I had to use a Terminal command in 2007 when they first introduced that in 10.5 Leopard.

In the mean time, in terms of practicality, this is what I’m looking forward to most.

4 Likes

It doesn’t look like they’re allowing arbitrary placement, though. Apps (and now widgets) still flow through from the top right as far as I can tell. Would love to be wrong, although if this is the case I imagine someone will build a blank space widget!

2 Likes

Just watching the State of the Platform. The Parallels version is new, and only virtualizes ARM VMs, the Linux distro was indeed ARM. So that settles that. :weary:

3 Likes

I suspect Apple and Microsoft will both be racing to move their consumer products to ARM and leave legacy-OS virtualization to legacy hardware.

There’s always the chance Parallels will offer something, though given the $$ Microsoft has thrown at virtualization of its ARM laptop… with poor results… I doubt Parallels would want to invest in a product unless it thought there was a big enough market. (I don’t think there is.)

VMware is now focusing on enterprise/server virtualization (and they fired their desktop virtualization team a couple years back) so I wouldn’t look to them as saviors.

2 Likes

I like that, and no subscription. :wink:

1 Like