WWDC 2020 Keynote thread!

At least there is something encouraging on the Apple Mail front. :slight_smile:

There is Windows 10 on ARM, or did I miss something?

1 Like

I’m excited about the Car Key feature. My next iPhone accessory may have to be a BMW 540i. :grinning:

8 Likes

OMG don’t tell my wife!

2 Likes

Looks like Chinese leaker L0vetodream was right on the renminbi. (He’d made similar tweets in the past and correctly predicted the iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard and iPhone SE launches.)

FYI in recent months he also reported in March was that Apple is developing its own game controller, and that there will be a future iPad with a mini-LED display and Apple will use under-screen Touch ID to achieve the slim bezel design, rather than Face ID. He also predicted that Apple will remove the large earpiece receiver from future iPhones, something that can now be seen in the latest iPhone 12 schematics leaks

In March he posted this extensive rumor list, sans timeline:

He’s also looking forward to a new 14" MBP in 2021 (I wonder if it’s an ARM machine)

The ARM stuff wasn’t as bad as I’d feared… Let’s (or at least I’ll) hope that the Rosetta 2 performance is as good as it looked, and that it stays as a part of the OS.

The original Rosetta lasted for six years but was only auto-installed the first four of those. I’d be surprised if Rosetta 2 lasted more than 4 years total.

It works differently, so it’s my hope that they keep it. I suspect that you’re right though.

I don’t think Apple wants to support straggler apps using deprecated frameworks for one second longer than they need to. I suspect that just as with Rosetta they’ll jettison Rosetta 2 - my guess by Xmas 2025.

1 Like

Should we go ahead and start a thread for Fujitsu owners who will be left out in the cold?

6 Likes

Just resurrect one of the many old threads on that topic.

1 Like

Serenity Caldwell, formerly of Macworld Magazine and then iMore, has been with Apple for a couple of years. She, and her memoji, just resurfaced in a short video to recap the Keynote and spend a couple of seconds of what’s up for tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4An0ndagZsQ

5 Likes

A 15 min report

1 Like

My bet would be that it’ll be dropped in the first version of macOS that doesn’t support Intel Macs. If they drop it before then, you’re welcome to remind me of this and I’ll eat my words :wink:

10.4 Tiger (2005) was identical on PowerPC and Intel. The last simultaneous version that ran on both platforms was 10.6 Snow Leopard (2011). That was the very same period that Rosetta was available for Mac, although Apple stopped installing it by default after 4 of those 6 years.

I think six years is too long now, especially since Apple has more reason than ever to migrate people off Intel and stop supporting its frameworks. (Its dev staff is surprisingly small, and is perpetually overworked, and is now supporting multiple mobile and home-based ARM OSes in addition to Intel.) So I say 4 years, not 6.

1 Like

Anyone who can confirm what app this one is? Probably something obvious that I am missing:

1 Like

As someone not steeped in recent Android features (I had an LG Android phone in 2012 before upgrading to the then-new iPhone 5, so that’s where my personal experience ends), I did not realize how much iOS’s new features are catch-up to Android (homescreen widgets, picture-in-picture video, smaller Siri, Translate app, the equivalent of Android Instant apps, etc) “It’s like Android crawled so iPhone could run.” lol

It’s not Notes or Pages. I’m guessing TextEdit or Script Editor.

Isn’t TextEdit to the right of the Calculator, in the bottom row? Might be Script Editor, but that icon has me thinking it’s something related to “everyday use”, as opposed to something more niche like editing scripts…