WWDC 2020 Keynote thread!

I wrote to the good doctor when I was a kid. He kindly wrote back.
I’m in 2 minds about this production: do it well or don’t do it at all. I hope Apple will take a “money is no object approach!”

3 Likes

Guess its the launchpad actually…

1 Like

It’s Pages, loving that new logo.

1 Like

Duh! Of course, right next to Numbers and Keynote! Silly me – thanks for confirming.

I think it’s more bad icon than silly you. It took three+ people on a power users forum to figure it out.

1 Like

I like you Serenity. Post more

Serenity is a smart cookie. She got Apple’s attention with her 2016 review of the then-new Apple Pencil, which she created for iMore as a comic that she drew with the Pencil.

1 Like

It was billed as transitional, so it certainly won’t stay as a part of the OS.

Although I rarely have to do anything that needs Windows, I do have VMs going back to Windows 2000 to support software I sell or give away. Maybe time to cut bait? For years I needed Windows for electrical engineering courses I taught. When Apple made the switch to Intel and with Parallels available (I had version 1) that allowed me to make the switch. Prior to that my wife was using a G5 iMac. If I were still teaching (and was much younger!) I would be forced to abandon Apple over this move, as would the students (which were about 20% Mac users). So it would have been a disaster.

As it is, I’m making a move to max out a couple (for redundancy) of old Mac minis that I will run Sierra on giving me full compatibility for 32-bit software and recent incompatible software I’ve been forced to abandon, and the ability to run Windows. I can run them as processing servers using Windows Remote Desktop and Screen Sharing. With any luck this will keep me going as long as I might want to.

3 Likes

You can always buy a small PC (for a little more than Parallels costs) for development and connect with Remote Desktop.

3 Likes

If ‘there’ is a desktop OS running on ARM, then Microsoft got there back in 2012.

Looks like they use the Microsoft SQ1 processor, whatever that is.

Here’s an article that talks about ARM-based Windows, and the x86 emulator they supplied. It’s from two years ago, so as Chris pointed out, Apple is catching up.

The difference this time is that it looks (at least in part, based on the presentation) like it’s a one-time conversion technology rather than an interpreter, so in theory it could possibly be a stand alone utility. Not gonna hold my breath though :laughing:

I really hope they see their error and continue to keep the full functioning version of the Network utility. I use it almost every day!

1 Like
1 Like

A number of programs are locked to the (virtual) computers or cannot be reinstalled because the license verification servers no longer exist. In other cases they won’t run on more recent Windows versions. So they cannot be moved to new real machines. Running on an old Mini also means I can run older Mac software (primarily 32-bit) I’d occasionally like to use.

1 Like

They did not promise x86 virtualization. Turns out, after the keynote, that the version of Linux they were running in Parallels was ARM-based.

3 Likes

Yep. That wasn’t clear during the keynote though.

1 Like

Even if Parallels could get something working it would not matter since Microsoft only licenses Windows for ARM to OEMs. They would need to change that policy for VMs to even be a possibility.

2 Likes

I agree. I discussed this a little on another thread.

It’s theoretically possible but only practical if Microsoft permits it, and so far they won’t.