WWDC Hopes and Dreams

Basecamp probably isn’t well-funded enough to win in court though. It would almost exclusively be a PR war.

I do this with Joe Buhlig’s scripts and a Keyboard Maestro macro to populate the subject line / headers based on a fill-in input set with sensible defaults.

1 Like

Dream would be a 32“ Apple Display like the Pro Display at maybe half the cost and for that maybe skipping HDR :blush:

1 Like

Thought it would actually happen the other way around. Apple is under too much antitrust scrutiny, sherlocking Hey would immediately lead Basecamp to scream bloody murder and wage another PR war of Epic proportions.

1 Like

Yup, works also with Spark and a few others. But I would like a cross platform solution to process mail on the go :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

On the Mac, if I recall, dragging a message into something like DEVONthink shows the “kind” as “Email Message” which I think is “eml” format. If you right-click to open the file, it opens in the default mail app on the Mac.

1 Like

Confirmed. Just verified in DT.

1 Like

iCloud Diary is an interesting idea. I tear up a bit when I think of what the web could have been. Low cost hosting and an indefatigable amount of user generated content.

If Apple created a web Secure Enclave for hosting simple static blogs it’d be a nice break from the large data brokers

2 Likes

I just want the ipad to have a more robust file management system and an updated home screen.

1 Like

Not sure all of these would not be useful:

PDF; I would welcome sending an email to a pdf to be stored in DT, and then remove the email without having to do the “2 finger/print dance”.

Plain text: already there, so indeed not useful (select text and share)

image: same as PDF; useful to redact and send on maybe?

My main use would be shortcuts and sending to apps like DT.
This is why shortcuts is useful, and there’s no way to use it with email
Why?

Even if the majority of all all the default actions in the sharesheet would be useless, imo it’s still better than not having the option at all

1 Like

Like @tjluoma said with some changes and additions:

• Shortcuts on the Mac that’s not crippled or sandboxed in any way
  • Shortcuts on iOS that do more things with less hand-holding and proper file/system level access
  • macOS - Fix notifications or get rid of the notification center
  • macOS - Bring back quick access to document proxy 2nded-3rded-4rded
  • iPadOS - Widgets everywhere
  • iPadOS - Low Power Mode
  • iPadOS - App Library and hide homescreen

and to add:

• like I already mentioned earlier: sharesheet for mail.app!
  • proper finder functionality for iPadOS
  • split “consumer iPadOS” and “Pro iPad OS” in apple’s mind, like macOS. Let pro’s do what they do best: produce great content and automate the heck out of the process
  • iPadOS: create something like file- / system events for apps to interact with
  • iPadOS: proper, and I really mean proper, multitasking.

My main issue with iPad OS vs macOS is that it’s way too walled in and sandboxed.
If I want to run a background process into the ground, and deplete my battery in an hour I should be able to! And if I want to script my machine into a DFU mode restore, why not! I can on the mac, why not on my iPad pro?

Show me iPad and iPad Pro are not mere marketing terms?
Any iPad with the “Pro” name at the moment is no different from the lowest tier priced iPad from an OS point of view, and I think that is unacceptable.

at least give me a toggle that says:

Here be dragons, no more phone support for you, DFU is the only way out.

As my hero the late Sir Terry Pratchett once said:

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying ‘End-of-the-World Switch . PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH’, the paint wouldn’t even have time to dry.”

I’d press the iPadOS button before beta 1 finished loading!

2 Likes

I happily accept all of your amendments.

1 Like

All kidding aside, they could take some basic steps toward that pretty much immediately without having to rejigger everything.

For example, a settings screen that allows you to disable the auto-killing for a particular app would be incredibly useful. Put some scary language in front of it to tell users that they shouldn’t be messing with it, make them type their iCloud password for each app they want to allow, and call it good.

Where I disagree though is that any of these changes should be inherently limited to the “Pro” iPads. It might be silly to do it on the entry-level iPad, but many background processes aren’t resource hogs in any meaningful sense - why not allow it across the board?

The Pro would still be differentiated by the fact that it has more RAM, a more juiced-up processor, etc. and would thus logically be better at multitasking stuff - but I don’t see an inherent reason to bifurcate the OS yet again.

1 Like

Right. It’s still another format. I would hope that wasn’t a barrier to implementation.

I totally agree. For me none if these is completely satisfactory. The eml mentioned in another comment might be complete and actionable, though I wouldn’t know what could parse it. Perhaps a whole new breed of third party apps.

On the desktop side I’d be just happy with some more features to the Reminders/Notes combo beyond their basic feature set. Also, I don’t know why Mail.app does not allow to use a keyboard autocomplete field for moving messages to different folders.

That said, .eml is basically just a text file. So unless you have encoded attachments, any program that could deal with text could at least accept .eml as input. DEVONthink To Go would almost certainly know what to do with it, and notes apps could theoretically just accept the raw email (headers and all) and let you do whatever you wanted.

Are there any other iOS email clients that allow you to export a .eml file?

1 Like

New iMac with a bunch of USB ports
Better support for multiple external screens
2-4 TB internal hard drives

2 Likes

Well since I currently have 6 in use on my current iMac I’d really like maybe 8 or so.

THIS times a million. Making iMessage even better than Whatsapp would be a huge plus for me. I think Apple knows they’re sitting on a gold mine with iMessage if they do it right…

Also would love to make Photos more family friendly.

And a big second to @MereCivilian on all of his ideas for iCloud Mail.

3 Likes