WWDC Hopes and Dreams

My wish is very simple; i wish Tim and colleagues drops the use of “i am so exited to…” during this WWDC.

2 Likes

Would the return of iWeb and Aperture be too much to ask for?

I want it to be a lot about iPadOS this year. Let’s plug some of the holes in MacOS and ease up on the news features. I really think it’s time for iPadOS to go to the next level, especially for pro devices and maybe the line gets drawn in the sand with the M1’s. Give us some sort of hybrid between MacOS and iPadOS with multi app and multi tasking support; give Safari true pc like power with the ability to handle multi windows and pop ups properly; overhaul mail; proper external display support. Finally, I don’t use them but at this point there is no reason pro apps should not be on iPad such as Logic Pro. As for what I do use, I think Apple should stop watering down their other apps like iWork and iMovie. Bring us the full feature set!

2 Likes

Audio

I would like to see volume adjustments that better reflect the physics of sound and perceived loudness. Volume obeys a logarithmic scale, where for example for sound to be twice as loud requires ten times the power.
Right now the volume on my iPhone has 16 evenly-spaced (linear) steps. Oftentimes 2 is too soft, while 3 is a little too loud (or other increments), while 11 to 12 isn’t much different.

For Apple TV, I would like to have audio compression to reduce the dynamic range. E.g. whispers would be louder, ‘splosions would be softer.

While part of both of these dreams is related to aging, it is important to consider the demographics of ones customers. I think the age distribution of members of this forum is testament to this.

Edit: while I’m dreaming, the connected , battery dead, etc. sounds on the AirPods Max are too loud.

2 Likes
  • The free plan for iCloud storage is now the same size as your iphone.
  • New pro 30" iMac (presumably coming this fall, since there are few to no leaks)
  • New stand alone monitors at 24" and 30" with the same panels as the iMacs.
    • Preferably it’s just an iMac without a processor; with webcam, speakers and Thunderbolt 4 connection.
    • Could be the same prize as the iMac and I would still buy it.
  • A sneak peak at the new half-sized Pro
1 Like

The iMac Pro was originally designed as a replacement for the trashcan Mac Pro, then Apple changed their mind. Now that it appears Apple will be delivering a new Mac Pro and possibly a mini Pro at some point.

The Intel iMac Pro was a new design because the current iMac couldn’t handle the heat of larger processors. Wouldn’t Apple design their yet to be released iMacs to handle whatever SOCs they choose to offer? If so, why a new iMac Pro? Marketing?

A pro iMac, not an iMac pro. An iMac with more RAM.

1 Like

Nevermind :upside_down_face:

I don’t think the mini Pro sees the light of day. The rumors of a thinner higher spec Mac mini sound like the likely entry for someone needing a headless Mac that it’s nearly as expensive as the Mac Pro.

I think the next iMac is 32” given that LG and Samsung are both display providers and both have more 32” models than 30” models. With the iMac sales quantity they need a size that’s going to be readily available.

Personally unless people need the horsepower of the Mac Pro right away they may want to hold out and see where Apple plans to use CXL-Compute Express Link it’s based on PCI-E 5 and creates fast interconnects to share RAM/DRAM, Cache, Accelerators and more. It’s very applicable to today’s Virtual and Container models but any workstation level loads should see a big benefit as well. Intel spearheaded but IBM, AMD and ARM are onboard.

What Apple is going to be able to do with Apple Silicon in the next 5 years should amaze people. They’re just getting started and it’s the perfect time to make the move given PCI-E 4 and 5 bandwidth, process shrinks and more.

1 Like

You may be correct. Apple loves slapping “Pro” on things to justify higher prices (IMO) and if one does show up it may just be a replacement for the existing maxed out Intel minis.

Mini’s are an important tool for a lot of professionals but most of them, from what I’ve read, rarely need much more than an entry level machine. Time will tell.

1 Like