628: Stream Deck Power Users

One of the limitations I found with my stream deck is that you can’t programmatically switch profiles.

Ah, but you can, with a little help from KM. “Dummy” or “Trigger” apps, allow one to easily bend Stream Deck to your automation will. A very clever chap over at KM forums sorted it out some time ago. Enjoy!

1 Like

This is excellent background info/trivia/context - thank you for sharing this :grinning:

2 Likes

So I really just use the big and little one together. The mid-level one I now have on my home computer. But to answer your questions, the little one I use solely with Moom to manage windows.

Solved my issue! It was something in iOS 15.4 beta 3. Installed beta 4 this afternoon and the shortcut run perfectly normally.

1 Like

If you have a larger Stream Deck, you might also consider keeping the top and bottom rows fixed for some profiles, so your most important items remain in place and only the middle two rows adapt to the specific app. I do this for Safari, where 16 buttons are plenty and I’ll still have half the Deck “running” the default profile.

1 Like

I listened to the first 20 minutes on the way to a Dr. appointment. Now I’m sitting here with nothing to do and the Amazon app on my iphone. Bad combo. My XL arrives tomorrow.

8 Likes

Once again, MPU has cost me money–but I’m looking forward to exploring my new found toy…er tool!

2 Likes

I’m often behind in my listening since I usually listen in chunks to these long ones. This morning, on my way to work, there was the segment on a random picker. That was followed closely by the comment about the 2-sided die that @macsparky made. It occurred to me that you could probably make your personal Magic 8 Ball for stream deck.

What is a Magic 8 Ball? Well, the older folks will probably remember them. You’d turn it upside down and get an answer to your yes/no question. Here’s a description with an online Magic 8 Ball. Wikipedia has a list of possible answers that you could use to create the random list to select from.

This is just an idea for a pretty useless, but possibly fun, use for a button (if useless use makes any sense). If somebody wants to run with it, have fun. Just post your solution here.

Tony

Hey @tonycr - If you’ve got Alfred, you’re already in business.

Thanks @cornchip. I had no idea about all of this. Adding to the feedback list.

1 Like

That workflow was posted in April 2014 and the link in it to Github is dead. :cry: Guess it’s back to the drawing board.

Seen stock traders using SD for shortcuts to quickly enter trade orders.

2 Likes

Something I started to do when I first got excited about the SD was to build a mindmap (or you could just use an outline) showing all the paths I could take to get to the different profiles, folders, etc. I found it very useful to get a visual layout of what I was doing to see if it made sense. Very easy to move stuff around until you get a plan that fits your workflows. I think I’ll resurrect and update that and see what I’m doing and what I could do to improve the functionality of the SD.

Updated 8Ball Alfred workflow …

Of course, listening to this episode (and the Automators one from a while ago), I was convincing myself I needed a Stream Deck. But I have tons of other tools with some functional overlap as a result of the Relay podcasts.

Roughly In order of use frequency:

• Drafts
  • Alfred
  • Keyboard Maestro
  • Better Touch Tool

Is there something the Stream Deck offers (besides not needing to memorize keyboard shortcuts) that these other tools don’t offer?

Short answer, no, you can keyboard your way to the same results the Stream Deck provides, but… it’s a whole lot more fun, having shiny icons on top of tactile buttons and it frees up a lot of shortcuts that one would assign to common apps. If we’re being honest, how much of the cool stuff do we really “need”?

I have the same software list as you and think of the Stream Deck as just another flavor of automation.

So my SD XL arrives today. My understanding is that it has a removable cord. I don’t have any more TB/USB C connections left, but I do have a USB A available. It should work with a USB to USB C cord, correct?

1 Like

Anything that you use the Stream Deck to trigger something like Keyboard Maestro to do, by definition you can do with Keyboard Maestro by itself. And if you happen to be one of the QMK ergonomic keyboard folks, you have a lot of flexibility just programming your keyboard to do various things.

But I think some things would be more difficult. Stream Deck has a direct plugin for Toggl, for example. So I configure a button for “Customer 1”, and when I press that button it starts my Toggl timer for that customer. It also shows the button as red, so with a quick glance down at my Stream Deck I can confirm whether I’m “running the meter” for anybody at the moment.

If I didn’t use the Stream Deck for that I would likely have to configure KM to open the Toggl app, then activate various timing with keyboard / mouse emulation. Not nearly as clean as “press the button”.

The Stream Deck is definitely not a necessary piece of hardware for most people - but it’s fun to tinker with, and can definitely make some things easier. :slight_smile:

1 Like

love that…I would use the second one for audio and media controls for Zoom and Teams or media apps that are open. dynamically switching to relevant profiles based on active windows.

like the VPN on/off as well. Just keyboard combination or scripted?

It should, but I had some problems with using a previous-gen cord. You want something that’s USB 3.1 Gen 2, and ideally you want to plug it directly into the computer - not into a hub. I’ve had weird issues with my Mac putting stuff to sleep and not waking up the Stream Deck.

Apart from that though, the USB A part of the equation shouldn’t be an issue at all. :slight_smile:

1 Like