628: Stream Deck Power Users

My favourite source of icons, by the way:

You can drag and drop straight from an image in a browser to the icon on the Stream Deck app, so it’s easy to use Flaticon to populate buttons with nice, cohesive iconography.

2 Likes

My

My Stream Deck XL came with a USB-A cable (to USB-C/Thunderbolt) so I had to locate a spare USB-C to C cable. Seems tht the default is the USB-A. You cable is removable from the Stream Deck, so easy to swap.

1 Like

I see where they say not to connect to a hub. That’s an issue. The MBP has 3 TB connections. 1 goes to my monitor. The others go to Hubs. I have a gazillion USB devices connected!

I have a “launcher” profile that only has buttons that lead to other profiles.
The top left key on each of my other profiles returns to the launcher.

Here’s my Launcher:

And here’s my Zoomclass profile (OBS, Spotify, Zoom, and some soundboard buttons):

I used to do what @tonycr described of rotating, but it was faster for me to go back to a launcher, and less error prone, since I have a few profiles that look similar but do different things.

1 Like

Mine is also connected to a giant hub. I think almost all peripheral makers say something along those lines because they don’t want your failing hub to be the cause of support issues and bad reviews.

1 Like

Some other good icon sources:

MacStories Shortcuts and Perspectives icons
There’s no rule that you can only use them in OmniFocus and Shortcuts!

The Noun Project
Icons for pretty much everything. Great source for making Keynote slides as well.

My Dropbox folder of buttons
These are possibly super specific to me, but you’re welcome to them all the same.

3 Likes

My issue with the hub wasn’t that it didn’t work when connected - it’s that the MacBook apparently deactivated the port when it went to sleep, and then wouldn’t wake it up when the Mac woke back up.

A reboot always fixed the problem. But that’s a silly thing to have to do when you wake a computer from sleep. :slight_smile:

So do you think that going through a docking station (like the CalDigit 4) is the same as going through a hub? If not, this may be the excuse, err valid reason I need to buy one.

In defense of my method, I’m working with a 15-button SD, and I don’t have a need for the XL. Every one of my profile pages has a Home button in the lower right that will take me back to the default profile, so that’s pretty quick. Within a profile, the upper left takes me back to the prior page in that profile. On the main page of each profile, the upper left button takes me to the next profile.

I can’t speak to Thunderbolt from experience - only USB. If your docking station also includes your monitor though, I’d hypothesize that you have a much better chance of it working. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was wondering if the deck slid around when poking at it. One could attach some rubber feet on it but I was hoping it was pretty secure on its own.

I can only speak to the XL, but that has a large rubber pad covering the bulk of the base of the stand and if you remove the stand, the feet on the Stream Deck itself are rubber. My desk is smooth (slippery!) wood and I haven’t had any issues with mine moving in either configuration when poked and prodded.

Yeah, I just added some silicone dots to mine, and it helped with the sliding.

I still don’t seem to have much need for the Stream Deck though. It’s faster to launch with Raycast.
I did use the mute/unmute button during a Zoom call, but the profile switches when I switch to NotePlan for notes. Something to fiddle with, I suppose. :person_shrugging:

In that case I can highly recommend glasses. Also known under their previous name “spectacles”. Not exactly hi-tech and already around for quite some time. But it works. Started using them myself a year or so ago, and it really made a difference.

2 Likes

I’ve had a Stream Deck for about a year and a half now, and I’m kind of underwhelmed because there are two things I really want to do with it and I can’t figure out how to make either work. The first is to set up a button that starts my own personal Zoom room session. I can set up a button that lets me into a colleague’s Zoom room, but a link to my personal room won’t even open it for me as a participant, much less as the owner who can set the permissions. If anyone can give me advice on that. I would appreciate it.

Second, I have been disappointed in Keyboard Maestro as I cannot get it to type in a password for sites such as banks that will not allow you to cut and paste. I have followed Sparky’s Keyboard Maestro field guide, and it just doesn’t work for me. Therefore, when I heard in the episode that you can set up a Stream Deck button for text expansion, I was quite interested. However, I can’t find the functionality to “type” a word in. I know they talked about doing this on the show, but maybe they meant paste rather than type?

Anyway, I would like to love the Stream Deck more than I do now. Right now I just use it for basic basic function, such as opening my work website, entering that one collegue’s zoom room, and controlling my hue lightbulbs.

While @davemacdo is correct that most peripheral makers have a boilerplate about not using hubs, Stream Deck is an exception.

There have been numerous reports of people on this forum who have had issues with a hub.

Now, that doesn’t mean everyone will have issues, it just means that you need to be careful. Issues waking from sleep are most common.

The good news is that a decent hub will work.

If you are going to use a hub, I can tell you that the CalDigit TS3 and CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub. I believe the TS3 either has been or is soon expected to be replaced with a newer model, which is why I didn’t link it here.

I currently have both connected to my Mac mini, and they are both 100% rock solid, and they are now precious members of my computer family.

2 Likes

Fell victim, yet again, to a “Spark Attack” (with apologies to Stephen for not having a clever nickname that includes him). Was on the fence about getting one and this episode pushed me over. It’s supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I’m going to swap it between my windows work laptop and my personal mac book pro. Hopefully that works.

Amazon now has the XL for $216.86. Had been at the $249.99 price.

Thanks. You have given me the excuse I needed to drop another bundle on my setup! Think I will wait for the Thunderbolt 4 to be back in stock.